please enable TapTalk for iphone/ipad forum use!

Started by duncanshannon, April 05, 2011, 07:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncanshannon

hi-

i found a nice iOS (iphone, ipad) app called TapTalk that interfaces with a variety of forums and lets you browse, post etc from your iOS device.  It says its supports SMF 1.1, which this is according the the footer below.

When I try and use taptalk on countryplans, it says 'please contact your administrator to enable TapTalk'.

I'm in IT... would be happy to help if needed!

thanks!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

muldoon

If your going to add modules, I would vote for a youtube add-on as well.  Also in IT, also happy to help. 

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 

MountainDon

What makes it better than using the browser in the phone?

Modifications to forum software can sometimes cause issues when the next upgrade to the software comes along. Hence we are cautious when it comes to tinkering or adding mods. The tapatalk webpage indicates good through SMF v.1.1.11.  We are on 1.1.13. I have no idea what differences that may make; likely none.

Myself, I have a certain reservation about making changes to the software so some third party can sell his product. We'll see how John feels about this.

It appears tapatalk has gone through more version changes in a few months than SMF has had in a year. I'm not too keen on something that may require that much attention.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

duncanshannon

Hi-

I totally get being cautious about adding complexity!  I would expect its a module that we could enable/disable during ugprades and, at the time of an upgrade if it causes problems, disable it until it can be fixed.

One slight correction, its not 'good thru 1.1.11' it supports " Simple Machine Forum (SMF) 1.1.11+/2.x are supported"  so 1.1.11 and newer are supported.

id like to think that the 3rd party is solving a problem and filling a need that nobody else has yet... and its not about enabling someone to sell software, its enabling the country plans members have access to the forum in a way that they would really like!

again, happy to help however I can. 

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

Tapatalk is a great app and I use it frequently for a few other forums.  It is formatted for mobile devices, and makes reading much easier.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Pritch

+1

Reading the forum on my iPhone is pretty rough because the software is designed for people using normal monitors.  TapaTalk translates the forum content to a format which is more usable.  C'mon!  Everybody wants to check on what Glenn is up to while they are waiting at the DMV.   ;D
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

MountainDon

Speak for yourself.  ;)  Some of us might actually enjoy respites from the internet and email. It seems the world and the wheels of government keep turning even though I ignore them.

...SMF now lists tapatalk on their forum, in the mods section, as something that does work. With that it should be a simple enough matter to add the mod. It does add 12 sections to 7 files and adds a directory

It doesn't appear to make any changes that could conflict with anything we've tweaked.  

Pritch

Quote from: MountainDon on June 11, 2011, 04:32:47 PM
Speak for yourself.  ;)  Some of us might actually enjoy respites from the internet and email. It seems the world and the wheels of government keep turning even though I ignore them.

I see your point, Don.  Escaping the torment of cabin life for a brief respite in a crowded government building should not be disturbed.  Oh the humanity! tranquility.   :D  ;D
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

MountainDon

We'll look at this further in a week or so. Off to the mtns right now!!

Native_NM

Quote from: MountainDon on June 12, 2011, 09:42:44 AM
We'll look at this further in a week or so. Off to the mtns right now!!

Did you ever look at this feature?

John Raabe

Don's still on the road. Should be back next week.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

I forgot all about this, BUT I do recall telling duncanshannon to go ahead and implement this several months ago. Before summer I think. maybe that got lost in whatever else he was doing for us. I'll see where this is at.  ???

duncanshannon

Hi Guys-

Sorry if I missed that message... I thought there was some desire to not complicate the forum and thus to leave tap talk off. 

Happy to set it up if that still sounds like a good plan.

John Raabe

I've been working to get this Mod installed today. I have installed Tapatalk SMF plugin ver 2.1.0. It is properly installed according to the Package manager, but I cannot access it from my iPad.

If you have the Tapatalk App installed you can try accessing the forum via a search for countryplans. The exact address is http://countryplans.com/smf/. I get an error message.

John

duncanshannon

I installed the app, searched (and found) countryplans and then got the error:

"This forum is either restricting access from Tapatalk or the installed Tapatalk plugin is not working. Please contact your forum administrator"

Is there a permissions area / settings?

MountainDon

Nothing I can see in the forum software settings for permissions on tapatalk. Perhaps there are file permissions that have to be set at the actual server file level?  Seems to me there was something mentioned about that.... something where permission types are set using three digit numbers.

John Raabe

I have cleaned out the old installs and reinstalled the correct version for our forum software version (a secret known only by the support staff at tapatalk). Getting it setup did involve going into the file manager on the countryplans site and setting new file permissions. It is now working on my iPad (I installed the $2.99 version via the Apple App store).

Search the Tapatalk App for countryplans. See if it works for you. I will add more notes as this experiment progresses.

John

John Raabe

Was able to login and tap out this message on the glass. My older iPad doesn't have a camera, but other tablet and phones with cameras should be able to post photos directly from the device to the forum. That will be cool!

According to taptalk: "Taptalk app allows user to upload photo directly from their phone to your forum as an image attachment."

Native_NM

Working great.  Thanks to all who assisted. 

Native_NM

John Raabe

That is something a number of folks will find useful.

I wondered if it was actually uploaded to our server as an attachment. I couldn't find the file stored in the SMF attachment directory. Then I inspected it a bit closer and see it is stored on the tapatalk site as a 640x480 jpg. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/01/ena5ejep.jpg

This is similar to what we are doing with sites like Photobucket, but this is much easier and more direct. It also takes much of the image load off the CP site.

Native_NM

It's certainly easier.  Reading the posts is easier on my eyes, also.

Thanks again!

John Raabe

Test post and image upload. iPhone image will not post - reports "bad gateway" and server error. Will try later.

Was only able to post small images (allows small, med, & large). I have marginal 3G cell service here.

Above image is medium sized (tap to enlarge if viewing on phone) . Taken from the sunroom door w/ a somewhat better connection.