Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

Looks good John. Lots of work ahead I see.

Redoverfarm

After a week of climbing scaffolding I am not quite at 50% of the T&G on the ceiling.  The roof slope 10/12 was not that difficult if I hadn't put  those (d#%*) ceiling beams in. Had to work off my knees for the last 6 feet.  With the ceiling beams I could not use scaffolding walkboard at two different levels because they were in the way so I had to go to the next level which was too high.  And then there was the placement of the cross arms which prevented moving the scaffolding very little.  Oh well I guess they will look nice once it done.  I didn't get any pictures taken of this task now but hope to next week

I got off easy trying to figure the run of the ceiling which was to be 23 couses per side.  Well I came up short at 22-1/2.  I guess the difference was that the tounge didn't seat in the groove as far as i had anticipated.  This was due to the way it was made with a stop that was put into the tounge side. But being that it was a double V-groove I ended up with just one half at the ridge and it just appears to be another 2" board and does not stand alone.  Now if I can get the other side to come out as well I  will be happy.

Tomarrows another day at the auction. Got to see what else they will have that I can use.  Probably a lot of cool toys. Got a couple of doors to pick up if the price is right.   

Redoverfarm

Here are some pictures of the loft ceiling that I had done last week.  This makes 1/2 of the main run 40'. Still remaining is the other half and the Board & Batten room loft ceiling.  I saved the best til last. Not really.  The first was the easiest withthe exception of the triangular walls at the post top.  The other side will be the intersection of the two valley rafters and their intersection to the B&B loft. It will be a bugger I am afraid.  [noidea'

You can see the ceiling beams that I was referring to earlier.

Livingroom

Livingroom to the loft room

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PureCountry

John, I've just spent a little over an hour reading this thread from start to finish. Truly an admirable accomplishment IMHO.

Couple of questions - did you have other work going, or were you able to focus on this house alone?

And, since you went to the work of maintaining the original look so well, why the white vinyl windows and basement doors? Just seemed out of place in comparison to that gorgeous front entry door. And BTW, maybe I missed it, but where did you get that front door?

Thanks in advance, and once again, great job.
"The soil is the creative material of most of the needs of life. Creation starts with a handful of dust." - Dr. William A. Albrecht

considerations

Very nice, and I love the beams. 

Redoverfarm

PureCountry I struggled with the white windows for awhile.  It was just cost prohibitive to make everything original.  I tried to blend the best that my pocketbook would allow.  I weighed the windows against higher end products for the interior that I would probably look at more.  With the windows having to be special ordered in colors and sizes.   I probably saved 70% with the vinyle.  I have seen other log cabins with white so I guess it is permissible. If money was no object I would have probably done alot of others things to the cabin as well but I am trying to stay on my diet. ;D 

As for the time.   I am retired and have devoted the majority of my time 40-50 hrs a week to the cabin minus my honeydoo's, yard, cutting firewood and some farm work. Yes it has been a struggle for the last 2-1/2 years but being a one man crew I guess I have made some progress.  Several firing in the evening but usually a rehire by the morning. 

The door was purchased at a builders auction a couple years ago.  I have since found out that Home Depot has the same door and it sells for around $1,400. 2" Mahogany.  I paid more for it at the time than I normally spend for an entrance door but after hearing what it actually sells for I got over it easily.

Thanks for taking the time (didn't realize it had grew that much) and your comments.

John 

ScottA

Ceiling looks good John. Did you use scafolding? I'm wondering the best way to do mine.

Redoverfarm

Sort of Scott.  You can see by my previous post.  If you had a open room and built up two and using a walk board between it would be a snap.  I only had one set with wheels which made it harder to situate them.  Going to start the other side this morning.  Finished the front wall yesterday 40' run. 

I hate the thoughts of starting that side.  Two valley intersections to contend with.  Not real sure how I will do that but it has to be done. Compound cuts  d*

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.msg65905#msg65905

considerations

I like the clean white crisp contrast of a white bordered window on a cabin.  I'm planning on it.  I think for me, things can get a little too rustic, and that is one way to balance it out a little.   

Although I live fairly close to Egg and I Road, I am not Ma Kettle....this year.  :D

MountainDon

I found tan or sand colored vinyl at Lowe's for not too much above and beyond the standard white. It's a light shade as years ago they tried darl colors but the suns heat caused them to warp. Maybe that was just in the desert.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

The living room ceiling is now done except for some trim work around the bottom sides.  But I don't have to use the scaffolding at the second level.  Now onto the two other loft rooms and their intersections of valley rafters.

ScottA

Nice work John. You're making good progress.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Again, I love what you've done -  you've kept the antique look throughout & blended the different materials so well - you'll probably be considered a national landmark there with tour buses coming by  ;)   :D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

CWhite

I checked in here just to see your progress today.  Great looking T&G ceiling.  I know you work so hard to make everything just perfect.  It really shows.
Christina

Redoverfarm

Well the ceiling is basicly finished.  Just lack a few blocks where the electrical boxes are for light and fans. There is a small area of ceiling remaining in the loft bathroom but I will have to determine where I am going to run my vent pipe and any lighting overhead or should I say by the head since it will be on the sloped ceiling.  I am considering vanity lights as an alternative.  Although the ceiling was relatively easy in comparison to the return of the 45 deg to the lofts in a 10/12 pitch going up the valley rafter at 37 deg.  The best solution was to trim out that intersection with a 1X2 stained the same as the ceiling. 

The stone work is basicly finished also which was done at the ridge area after the ceiling T&G was completed. There is a small area at the bottom of the flue which will be done after the flooring and tile is laid.

In addition I had a issue of hiding the sandwiched top plate on the logs.  The solution was to use the left over 2X6 T&G that I had from the floor and run it verticle from the bottom of the 2X10 to meet on the ceiling.  One side is done and I have to stain and finish some more for the other opposing wall as well as the little short walls in the loft areas.

Here are some pictures of the finished products.

Living room

Living room side wall

Soon will be drywall time on the end walls of the log section, the two lofts and the bathroom.

ScottA

glenn kangiser

Drywall, John? hmm

Not plaster and lath? :(

Whitlock

That is one nice place you have built there John [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Redoverfarm

Glenn I would do plaster but paying for your flight to the coast to finish it would escalate the cost too much. ;) Still not really sure of the finished effect on the drywall.  Knock down? Been milling the idea of batten strips or a combination of the two or something entirely different. I am sure I will come up with something that is appealing to the eye and the pocketbook. 

I think my previous post was a little misleading.  I thought everyone thinks the way I do .   ??? The drywall will only be used on the end walls of the loft.  The ceiling is T&G.  The kneewall is 24" so that a sheet of drywall could be split to go further.  I will have to calculate the amount of T&G for the kneewalls to see if I could do it as effective.  Cost wise I doubt. 

glenn kangiser

Dang it -- missed a flight.

We'll let you off this time I guess.  You can plaster over the drywall for a plaster look.  I did the knock down at our other place...you know - the one that's above the surface... :)

Redoverfarm

Finally decided on how to mate the square walls with the round verticle logs.  Without disfiguring the logs I cut a 45 deg angle on the face end which slopes to the wall on both sides of the verticle T&G.  There is no easy way to make this transformation or trim them to match so this is as close as it get.  Shoot it's just a log cabin ;D.

Glenn I got out the chain saw again today .

ScottA

Looks ok to me. When you moving in?  ::)

glenn kangiser

QuoteGlenn I got out the chain saw again today .

The only way to do precision work.  Some people are still using rocks lashed onto sticks.  d*