Historic Housing and Buildings

Started by glenn-k, March 04, 2006, 02:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

I'm using this heading as a ploy to bring you a very interesting site on Australian WWII buildings.

This picture of the lighthouse keeper on the porch drying fish is the only one of this cottage on the site.  The rest of the site is extremely interesting.  East Coast area island of Australia.

Lightkeeper Charlie Waye drying sea-mullet on the verandah of the lightkeper's cottage. About 1935.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/waldingr/comboyuro.htm

Note - this link was giving me trouble today -- if it doesn't come back I will remove it.  Glenn

jonseyhay

I'm going to see if I can get you signed up as the new advertising agency for tourism Australia, you are bound to be cheaper and better than this lot.  ;D
http://tinyurl.com/z5jgm

And the link works fine down here. ;)

glenn-k

It seems the link was only down for a couple of minutes then came back.

This site was so interesting I had to share it. Buildings etc. are very similar to what we saw at Omaha Beach in Normandy, France.

Lessons from the pictures ---
1. Concrete is not forever
2. Shrubs and foliage can hide even ugly buildings
3. Sun dried fish can be a good? staple

glenn-k

This is one of my favorite topics so finally looked it up and have a new addition for it.

Sassy and I went to a few old gold mines yesterday and down a road where I have been wanting to go for quite a while.  This was actually about 1/4 mile off the highway but no indication that it was there except the road name.  

The first thing visible from the road was this arch building.  

This appears to be a mass storage foundation for the wood fired boiler.

This is built similar to the ideas used in the Roman Hypocaust.  Multiple openings would have had fires in each of them.  This had to be one fire breathing dragon in it's day.  This is part of the reason none of the photos from the gold rush era show trees on the mountains.  They were clearcut for fuel to run the steam hoisting engines.

I didn't see my little friend in the above picture until I put them on the computer today.  Do you see her?

On the way back I noticed an ancient cobblestone road peeking out through the grass.

glenn-k

Found a photo -copyright on it, with more info.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~gtusa/usa/ca/coulterville.htm

MountainDon

Cool stuff Glenn! Something there on the spider web.
I love the old mines. NM doesn't have many but Colorado is chock full of them.

[/img]
This is the Bachelor Boy Mine in the mountains above Silverton, CO. It's above 12,500 feet. From here the ore was transported down the mountain several miles in buckets suspended from the overhead cables. The cable tram is still in place today, cables and all, rusted in place.

[/img]
The cable system was powered by an electric motor; power brought up from below, about a 5000+ foot rise. Over the year I've seen the buildings slowly falling apart with each passing year.

glenn-k

Yup -- nice sized Black Widow there.

I went to Silverton quite a few years ago.  Neat area.  Didn't get much time to look for mines though.  That is high enough to get a nosebleed or at least a good case of altitude sickness.  

I have a cable bucket from the mine at Star Lakes near South Yosemite.  It was down in the brush - I carried it a good 1/4 mile or better over rocks and brush.

MountainDon

QuoteThat is high enough to get a nosebleed or at least a good case of altitude sickness.
Even being acclimatized to an average 5500 ft altitude those 12000+ sure are noticeable.

The Silverton to Ouray area is marvelous.

[/img]
MtnDon and his Honey getting high again!   :o   "in the area"

MountainDon

An even older Historical Building. about 800 - 900 years old. SE Utah Anasazi ruins.

[/img]
They had some very nice stonework. Some was dry stack like this, others had mud; I guess what we'd call cob today. This is the base of a three story tower. Can't find the other photos that show more. There were logs set into the stonework for upper floors. No written history from them leaves us to suppose this was a lookout tower. Self timers are wonderful!

[/img]

[/img]

glenn-k

We spent a bit of time in the Verde Valley checking out the Anasazi ruins and Jerome, Az.  Cool pictures - is that sign supporting you?  :-?  You two really were high. :)  Nice looking couple.   :)

All of my old photos were before the digital age so are stacked in boxes somewhere.  Lots of old time stuff as that is a bit of a hobby for me.

Interesting to see the Anasazi dwellings and realize that in their day when maintained, these were what they called home and provided shelter from the elements.  Mud roofs supported by logs, limbs and brush then plastered over required annual maintenance, but when not working half a year to support government, they had time for that.  :-/

MountainDon

This has got to be the luckiest outhouse I've ever seen, what with all the fallen trees all around it. A two-holer too. One bigger than the other.

off to the woods...
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

This past week we didn't do too much around the property. The ground is pretty much cleared of deadfall to our (DW's   :) ) satisfaction so we took time off to smell the roses, so to speak.

We explored a forest road that led us along Sulfur Creek. Previously we'd been up the road but had found a locked gate. Lo' and behold this time the gate was unlocked and open. I'm not one to pass by an open gate, especially one without any "keep out" signs. First interesting thing we found was an old log cabin.  Interesting angle on the chimney.  :-/

I don't think there were any code inspections...

And somehow I get the feeling it was never really completed. Unless these log ends are for hanging clothes to dry?

Lots of yellow Great Stuff (?) foam for caulking.

Steam vent. This area reeked of sulfur fumes. The weather was too hot to see much steam in the air, but we could hear the below ground sounds of bubbling water and hissing steam in several places. In the 50's -  60's Unocal and Mobil did exploratory geothermal work, but it was deemed uneconomical to pursue.

We met the caretaker of the private property. He said the owner, a mycologist by the name of John Corbin encouraged visitors thru the summer months. He showed us around. This is an old well head that taps into the ground below. It was used to supply hot water and/or steam to heat a building. Some remaining logs are on the ground.

Need I mention we are standing on what is considered to be a dormant volcano? It's been quite a while since the last eruption, however a few weeks ago one of the forest rangers in a lookout tower we visited told us the land is slowly rising. Hmmm.  :o

In the 20's and 30's there was a lumber operation and sawmill nearby. No remains. There was also a 4 story wooden hotel and a spa with separate bath houses for men and women as well as a communal one. According to our guide Al Capone spent time here soaking in this very pool (next photo)...

The wood around the pool supposedly dates back to that time, although the stone work is more recent. As well in the sixties/seventies Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix are rumored to have soaked in these waters. In the seventies what was left of the hotel burned due to careless use by some "hippies" according to our guide. The site was home to a Druid commune for a while.

Today thre is a modest shower/bath house that the caretaker uses.

It makes use of hot water directly from the bowels of the earth. Both this and the pool above have extremely hot water. He has rigged a cold water flow to temper the water. There are a couple of small hot mud holes that bubble as well. One of the pools bubbled with what we were told was CO2 from down below.

glenn-k

Very interesting stuff, Don.  Last unlocked gate I went through way out in the boonies had an old cable tool driller and some beer behind it.  Exploring can be fun - especially if you don't get shot.  Lost a couple hours there though. Very enjoyable.  :)

Nice footings on the cabin.  Using the local natural resources I see.  Cool angle on them too.

MountainDon

An historic building about to become history...

Redoverfarm

Don you will probably make Glenn cry looking at this photo. There are probably things on that he could have used.

glenn-k

I don't know but if that's an after picture, I think I could just push with my forklift on the right front corner and get it straightened up for use as is. :)

Otherwise --looks like it's toothpicks. :-/

MountainDon

But they'd be "barnwood" toothpicks; worth a lot if you could find them.  :)