Few Questions on Concrete Pier Foundation (Probably beating a dead horse)

Started by goodasgone81, March 28, 2018, 09:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChugiakTinkerer

I was slow to come around to the general consensus viewpoint on pier contruction.  I think the permanent wood foundation is well suited for remote construction in Alaska.  Sometimes though the ground conditions call for a structure that floats on top of the ground, either to minimize permafrost thaw or allow for frost heaving.

Here's a recent cabin build in Alaska, I wonder if it might pass muster with the Dons.  :)

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/150029-pads-with-posts-any-thoughts-from-those-experienced?p=1621770&viewfull=1#post1621770
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Don_P

Mostly yes. I've wondered why we don't see more steel pier and beam, you can actually make rigid moment resisting connections in steel. I would run a diagonal brace out of each corner in plane.

akwoodchuck

Quote from: Don_P on April 06, 2018, 05:56:11 PMI've wondered why we don't see more steel pier and beam

I might be starting such a build here in a couple months....if so will try and post some pics and details....
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

MountainDon

Alaska is a special place; special for some of the natural wonders as well as needing some special techniques for a variety of things.

That looks like a nice special welded steel foundation.  Is it located near or in one of Alaska's earthquake-prone areas?  If so, how is it kept from falling off the jack stands?  It does appear that the foundation would hold together is shaken; I just wonder what the connection between jack stand screws and the upper section is.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

JRR

That foundation has a lot of bracing, but it all seems to be in one direction and none ninety degrees away.  ??

goodasgone81

Soooooo I went with concrete piers, time will tell how it holds up.  That said it ended up being way "over engineered".  I used 32"w x 32"l x 22"h concrete forms with 16" sonotubes, buried 4' ..... with anywhere between a foot to 18" of that being in hard shale.  It was a rough digging all those by hand and took a lot longer than expected.  Followed up with having to carry in over 15,000lbs of concrete to mix, it's definitely not something I want to do again ha