Would we be crazy to even try?!

Started by MMGrant, June 15, 2012, 08:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMGrant

Hi, I'm new here! My name is Megan and my husband and I are contemplating buying a tear down summer cottage and eventually turning it into a cute little cottage. Are we nuts? We know nothing, zip, zero about building a cottage. Obviously we would need to consult and hire some professionals to help, but since money would be an issue we'd like to do as much ourselves as possible. (or hire a contractor friend we know and be his helpers)
Has anyone else started totally from nothing in terms of knowledge? What are the basic costs of building a cabin like the ones on this site? For example, I have no idea what a new septic system might cost. What would the basic lumber cost?

I feel totally over my head- but it's a dream I can't let go of!

Thanks for any advice.

astidham

my wife, and I, built our cabin with the help of this forum, with no previous building experience.
we hired nothing out but the insulation.
the key is country-plans.
you can build it!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

alex trent

I did not start with zip, but was way over my head on details about lots of things.

This site helps immensely.  But there is a way to get the most from it.

To really make it work, you have got to do homework yourself in looking things up, evaluating the options,  and then running them by people on here.  If you want a 1,2, 3.....99 blueprint it is tough.  You will likely be surprised at how much basic stuff you can glean from the internet and a few chosen, easy to read books (someone on here will point you to them).

Then you come here and say...this is what i am going to do....not "how do I dig a hole" and you will get some great help.

You can do it and it can be fun too.

Take it slow, especially at first.  For you specific questions..

!. Septic...find out what you will need  (here and elsewhere) and then go local and cost it.  It actually is pretty easy.

Lumber...sam...go through the specs and then cost it out locally. Easy to do.  If you just want number, someone on here can give you one to start with, but too many variable to be really close. Ballpak..yes. so get that and then dig in.

MMGrant

Thanks for the replies! It helps put things in perspective, and to know what resources are available. Once it's all broken down it seems more realistic.

We had our offer accepted on the run down little cottage, so once it's finalized I'll give all the exciting details about what makes it such an amazing place!

Davegmc

I love your passion! Don't ever let go of that dream! There are folks on this site that can take you through every step of the process. "Brick by brick citizens, brick by brick".