2x4's vs. 2x6's?

Started by phalynx, January 05, 2006, 06:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalynx

Back to the original topic, John, are 2x6's 24" o/c acceptable for the 2 story plan?

Jimmy C.

Studs at 24" are acceptable for the 2 story plan.
But, I put in 16" centers on my two story because I save up a little and then build a little so cost isn't really a problem with me.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

phalynx

Jimmy, you building the 2 story?

Jimmy C.

Yep! Check it out so far..
http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1133151818

We are still debating about a 4ft, 5ft, or 6ft, side wall Or just doing the 7-6" wall like the plans show for the second floor.
Stock plans are fun!
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.

phalynx

OH, I have those pictures saved.  I didn't realize you were building the 2 story. (or I didn't read that at least).  I would love to swap information about your construction so far.  Your pics are the ones I have been sharing with my wife saying, "see, we can do this"  We'll just build like this guy.  I think were I will build, I may have to have a crawlspace or a basement, but I would rather just do pier and beam like you.

Also, do you have any new pics? :)

Jimmy C.

No new pics until I get the income tax return and make an order from The Home Depot.

Waiting...................  Waiting............................ Waiting................................................

phalynx

Which part of NE TX you live?  We are just west of Houston but we will be building in TN.

DemianJ

For what it's worth, my building dept (Nelson Co, VA) told me that the IRC required 2x6's 16 oc for the first story, but they would allow 2x4's 16 oc on the second story.

Demian

Jimmy C.

At this time I live in Denton Texas.
I am building 20 miles east of Quitman, 15 miles west of Gilmer.
The nearest big town would be Longview.

pioneergal

QuoteAt this time I live in Denton Texas.

Wow! We are almost neighbors.

We are 38 miles west of Denton.............Bridgeport.

Jimmy C.

QuoteAt this time I live in Denton Texas.

Wow! We are almost neighbors.

We are 38 miles west of Denton.............Bridgeport.

Watch out for those wildfires!