"How to Buy Land Very Cheaply"

Started by Pallas, August 24, 2015, 02:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triathlete

Keep a constant eye on the sites that list private sales and have patience.  Good things come to those who wait.  I would never use a fluffer though.

Pallas

Hello all,

Thought I'd share updates on my search ask a couple of more questions, if you would all humor me a bit longer and continue with the really useful input given so far.

I think I  found a good lead that may turn into an opportunity. This involves a few lots I found (after hours looking through a tax parcel map) which appear to belong to the estate of a person now deceased. I think I've pieced together a general idea of the story behind these lots from online searches (I must admit this felt very intrusive, and I'm slightly disturbed that this much information about someone is on the internet). Could you all let me know if I'm making the right assumptions in my investigation?

I found 5 smallish (0.5 - 1.2acre) adjacent lots, one with a house in a very good location (2hrs from NYC) which all belong to this one person. Online search mentions she is deceased as of 15 years go, however, the county records name her as the owner, not "estate of". But the properties are still clearly being taken care of, since I didn't find any tax liens and the lot with the house on it appears well taken care of in good condition.

Her address comes up as a P.O. Box in the neighboring town, along with her apparent husband, who still seems to be around (though older). I couldn't find any children from my search, though this may not mean they're not around. So here's my theory: the husband has been taking care of the lots, and possibly rents out or lives in the lot with the house on it. He would perhaps be willing to part with 1 acre since they have remained vacant for so many years next to the house. However, I'm stuck on the next step. I don't know how often the P.O. Box is checked, and this is the only address that comes up after searching for him specifically. I've thought about sending a letter to both the P.O. Box and the house, or even maybe just knocking on the door and seeing what I can find out about the owner/landlord. BUT very importantly, before I go addressing anything to any "Estate" I'd like to make sure the information on her being deceased is correct. Again, this feels very intrusive, but key point to my theory and going forward. Do I just call the county and ask for this information? Would they even disclose that to me? Additionally, any tips on contacting any surviving family or anyone handling the estate, and do I just make a direct offer?

Sorry for the very long message, but if this pans out right, it may be my chance to get some quality land at a decent price. I'd really appreciate any feedback from those who have purchased land in direct purchases or through less conventional means. Thanks again all!

rick91351

If you like the lots or lots and are seriously interested.  I would not feel to bad knocking on the door on a Saturday.  It is not like the person is recently deceased.  Pretty tacky if that was the case. At least you could find out a good contact number if it was not the owner.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Adam Roby

I agree, try not to show up too early or too late, and not around meal time...  then just introduce yourself as someone who loves the area and is looking to purchase some land for a homestead.  Might help to bring your children with you, or maybe a parent, to kind of show you are a family person and not some contractor looking to make a profit from their land.  Worse case it's a tenant who can give you a number or address.

Pallas

Great insight - thanks for the replies. I called the county again, and it indeed does belong to an estate, and all taxes are paid for.

As for knocking on the door - should I be prepared to name an offer price right then and there in case it's someone from the estate? And do I let them know that I've been doing all of this research on their land? Wouldn't that sound a bit creepy? Or maybe I can say something like, "I've noticed these lots have been vacant and saw online they belonged to Mrs. X" I'm worried about the kind of impression I would make... obviously I didn't choose that house randomly to start asking questions on land - any suggestions? Now, I gotta go borrow some kids...

Adam Roby

rick91351

I would not expect it to go that far on a first visit as far as an offer.  I would roll with the flow.  Smile and inquire - be polite.  But be forewarned my dad had ten acres on the out skirts of  the third largest city in Idaho.  There was at least three a week knocking on his door.  It got crazy when the school district even was going to put an elementary school in just down the road. Members of the school board were even knocking on his door before the news of the school came out.  They turned out were in with a developer putting in houses around these new schools.  They low balled him very bad and POed him right off the bat with some thing rude they said.  They acted like he was a back country hick..... then kept coming back with little better offers.  They did not know there was a steady stream of offers coming in on that ten acres.  He sold it - but never sold it to them.

Just saying you might not be the only door knocker.  And just because whom ever you talk to might be an old 'hay seed' might not mean they do not know the value of that property and every piece around them. And can buy and sell most of them.... Not to mention the new Walmart and the .........     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.