Custom Carport for Cabin Frame

Started by paul s, May 16, 2014, 07:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul s

There is a small local company that builds custom square tube carports, sheds and garages.  They have a machine that crimps one end to fit into the standard square tube and another machine that bends the tube to an angle.

So I was thinking why not a cabin frame.  It would be easy to transport and assemble on site.  It would actually be assembled by the business as they fabricate then disassembled for transport.

The owner says he could even make me  a "foundation beam" for the perimeter so I would dig holes every 4' and place on small footers and cement in place.

Where this cabin would be located there is a local sawmill with very nice 1x8 Southern Yellow Pine rough sawn boards that would make lovely siding.  This lumber is almost knot free.

I am pretty sure this would work fine.  12 x12 inch pavers would make a nice floor.

Your thoughts please.

Paul

MountainDon

How does one install the interior walls without having metal fasteners pass through the interior wall in to steel frame? Such a connection will be a thermal bridge and a very effective route for heat transfer. That is my first thought. I've seen screw tips that pass from a metal roof through the roof sheathing with frost on each and every screw tip. 

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

paul s

I would have to solve that.  Gorilla Glue?  I was thinking using 2x4's for horizontal purlins, which would provide a thermal barrier.  Just kidding about the Gorilla Glue.
Paul

Onecaribou

Don_P

Quote from: Onecaribou on May 20, 2014, 02:15:16 PM
I've thought about building a shed using these 4x4 steel connectors:

http://www.allsteelshedframes.com/steeltimberconnectors.htm

I'd sure want to have an engineer design it and then get them or a certified local welder to fabricate to that design. I've seen a number of these types of buildings and have built one. That was when I decided I'd have the design looked over first before doing that again. The one I built actually had an engineer's blessing but it was still one of the most flexible, untied buildings I've ever been on. The premise of steel connected joinery is sound, I've just not been too impressed with the engineering details, or lack of.

paul s

Thanks ONECARIBOU I had seen that before, has got my creative juices going.

I agree with you Don.  As an engineer I get it and read you loud and clear.

paul s

My whole need is to have something easier to build.  I will be 58 this year,  Physical limitations are growing every day, week, month.

I have found some space in a warehouse for no charge, thinking of building panels, two for the floor, 4 walls, 2 roof panels.  then load them on a trailer my friend had and deliver to site and  some local strong guys and an excavator should do it and allow me to build at a relaxed place and budget over several months.

some long 2 x 4's for braces and the roofing material and the big part is over.

paul

UK4X4

I too looked at those timber connectors for a project, earlier on they even had an engineering sheet , but I see thats dissapeared from the site.

There was a large garage build on one site where he'd build a large shop using them, and he listed all the issues he found, mainly due to the wood- timber connections being relatively loose and the extra 1/4" of the steel on top of the wood meant he needed lots of packing strips.

Steel connections are obviously an option , old railway bridges were often made with beams and plates and lasted 100's of years.

These days its not mainstream, seemingly the nail gun is king, but I still love the plated beams etc they just look so industrial and fit for purpose.

Still available today with engineering data too, although not cheap

http://www.strongtie.com/products/apg/index.html#
http://www.structuralwoodcomponents.com/knowledge-base/

The local water jet company should be able to cut whatever shapes you desire, make a up a bunch of bents at home and install at site.

PorkChopsMmm

Someone is building just such a cabin on another forum. After looking at some of those carports I think they would make a handy small structure -- that would be shelled in within a day.

http://thehomesteadingboards.com/forums/construction-and-diy-projects-1/going-to-try-and-post-pics/

paul s