I like some things better - not all.
6 (22.2%)
Make the fonts bigger.
5 (18.5%)
Go back to the old way.
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 2

jraabe

We have new forum software up and in testing mode. (This is version 2.1 of YaBB.)

Here is the link to the old YaBB 1.3 forum - http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

This should increase the security and provide a better editing environment - once we all get up to speed with the new features.  ;)

Please let me know if you have problems as there will no doubt be some. webmaster@countryplans.com

glenn-k

Wild Smiley's - will I be able to keep my thoughts focused [smiley=bath.gif]

Yeah, as we get older my wife says bigger is better.  Fonts.

newguy2

Hey, I just logged in as NewGuy2 (to check the registration setup) and the fonts got larger.

Did you spike the water Glenn?

glenn-k

I hope I didn't spike it -- look above - I'm bathing in it.

My fonts stayed the same I think,  Messages are up to 100 - the rest of my old ones didn't transfer over -still only 20 but I saved them so could delete the old 20 I now have.

newguy2

I'll bet when you shut down the browser and come back the fonts will be [size=22]larger[/size] - well, not that large.

The fonts are still not large enough in the edit window.

glenn-k

My fonts are the same - I can see them ok - I'm just lazy.  I shut down the browser and restarted -- I see that the messages allow you to check them then store them or delete them.  [smiley=lolk.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

glenn-k

I think it is storing it in your personal information or cookie or something- my messages didn't come back after the initial sign in -even after I logged out and back in.  May be a place to change it per person but I haven't found it yet.

glenn-k

Actually I was playing with split and splice to see what they do.

jraabe

Here's how to change the font settings for your browser.

The default settings are OK for lower resolution screens but if they look small and faint on a high pixel count screen you can change the settings in your profile.

Click the profile button at the top menu. Here you can modify your settings, password, photo, etc. Click Modify in the upper right corner. You will be asked to confirm your password. Then click Options on the Profile menu. Next to the last setting asks which template you want to use. Change default to "main" for larger fonts and darker text.

You might want to explore some of the other settings as many are new options with this version.

Another method of getting larger fonts:
Both the Foxfire browser - http://www.mozilla.org/ - and the Maxthon browser extensions to Internet Explorer - http://www.maxthon.com/ have an enlarge and reduce button. Ctrl+ enlarges everything on the screen and Ctrl- reduces it.

glenn-k

That helped a lot- not so hard to see now.   [smiley=dankk2.gif][timestamp=1133051058]

Amanda_931

Hmmpf.

I wondered if it would change the font size if I changed them in Internet Explorer.  It did change the poll text size.  I'll try the profile next.

Live preview's kind of fun.

Bellla

I noticed that some of the current discussions are missing from the General Forum (such as the Neighborly discussion).  Will they be brought over?  Also, why do some of the postings on this topic have a scroll bar on them?  Some of them only display one line and not enough of the scroll bar to realize it is even there.  I am running Mozilla on a Mac if it makes a difference.

Bellla

JRR(Guest)

Will the alert for private messages be about the same as before?

jraabe

I'm still working on this. Some of the threads didn't make the jump.

I will see if I can find a way to move them over manually.

glenn-k

Hey JRR- funny you should mention that-- there is a place in your profile you can edit it and enable a popup notifier that will tell you when you have new messages.  It worked for me a few times but I have popups blocked so it may not always work for me except when my browser is half crashed.

Know any good moth stories? [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

whitewolf

I have tried to modify my profile and it does not seem to change.  The time listed above does not change (it is still on Alaskan time :(), the default to main  you suggested does not change, and my password does not change!!  Any suggestions?  I have logged in and out and closed down the tab (netscape) and reopened it and still no change.

Thank you,
Sharon :-/

glenn-k

Gosh Sharon,   I hsven't had those problems yet - I went through to see what I might find -

You did the modify profile button - were prompted to verify your password-- made your changes then hit the change profile button at the bottom of the page before hitting the back button on your browser?

That's all I can think of right now. :-/  I use Firefox ------and MS Internet Exploder only when I have to.

whitewolf

Yep, did all those things 3 times....I'm SOOOO confused... :'(

Sharon

glenn-k

I don't know how changes are stored - if cookies, then your browser security could affect it-  I don't know.  Do you have a different browser to try it in?

jraabe

I have gotten most of the links setup pointing to the new forum.

However, I am still unable to bring over some of the naughty threads that didn't transfer in the initial conversion. Very sorry about that - I hope to find a solution in the near future. The YaBB support forum has not been very responsive to my questions about this.

In the meantime resourceful members are taking quotes from older threads and starting new and updated conversations about relevant topics. No reason to sit around wringing our hands!  :'(

I continue to appreciate the resourcefulness of this group  ::) - it is certainly one of the skills of successful building — learning to work with the tools and materials you have!

glenn-k

Do you still have a link to the old forum postings - I see that the old one is now switched to the new one which is missing the engineered septic  thread also - I still have the information so can re-post it fresh if necessary.---

Nevermind- I found it.

Working San Jose again - see you all tonight.

jraabe

I put a link to the old YaBB forum in the first message on this thread.

Here it is again: http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Hey Glenn - I just found something cool. In the threads there is a button to the right of each posting for remove - I used it to clean up this thread and delete some of the things that have already been resolved.

Is that there on your Admin. screen too? Also, I think you mentioned you used the split button. What does that do?

Chuckca

My rant!

The fonts are too small and way too light. Anyway of changing the background colors in the msg response area.  Also, why do I have to log in everytime.  I logged in for 24 hrs...but....defaults back Sorry John.....I moderate on two photography web sites....guess the shop talk is coming out.  Thanks for allowing me to make some comments.  I do like this format a lot better....!