Hunker down time in the ozarks

Started by zion-diy, January 27, 2009, 07:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travcojim

Thought I would post since I finally got power back, I am here in the middle of Springdale, Ar, our yard is, was, full of 100 year old oaks,  about 10 of them,  every one of them had severe damage.  A few split into, most of them lost the top 20 or so feet.  Without power for 6 days here, my hats off to the power crews who have come in from all over the area.  The ones who restored our power were from North Carolina and West Texas. These guys do not get the respect they deserve...  I know some areas in Newton county, about 60 miles east of me, will be without power until maybe June, early July.  Newton country had over 1500 power poles that are down or broke,  so it is basically like running power for the first time again.  Have seen Fema trucks with their 116KW generators heading that way,
  Our land out in Kingston took some major tree damage also, I had a 100' oak come out of the ground by the roots from the weight of the ice.  It missed my truck by about 3 feet.  But, a cedar managed to get it..  The bus I have out there took a glancing blow, a tree nicked the front corner, flattened the air horn to the size of a can of peas,  and took out the front right window.  But, all in all it could have been worse.  It looks like a twister has come thru from the way the trees are all topped off, 
  For all those out there who have went through this, hope you made it and hope the clean up goes well. 

FrankInWI

Ohhhhhhhhh geeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz, you're handling it well, but I really feel for you and the other people caught up in this mess. 
god helps those who help them selves

glenn kangiser

Sounds pretty bad, Jim.  Be careful.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cordwood

The little light came on at 6:58 pm last night!  :) :) :) :)
The wife is starting to warm to the idea of "Off-Grid" self sufficient living.
12 days of no power and the only thing I wish we had was an old ringer washer :-\ I hate coin-ops  >:(

Trees look bad but I just keep telling myself thats fire wood for next year ;)!
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

travcojim

Congrats on the power being back on. I went out and counted the number of trees on my land that I have to cut,  I came up with 27 that were either totally down of broken in half. I have been thinking this would be a good time to start work on that cob place I have wanting to try,  maybe use the trees that I can manage to move around as the roof supports and roof rafters.Then just cob up to the roof. That and have a really big bonfire this summer,everyone is invited over, bring your own hot dogs..

OldDog

8 hours into 12 days of generator power.  3RD oil change today.

thank goodness gas is not still $4 A GALLON.
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

NM_Shooter

Quote from: travcojim on February 08, 2009, 04:07:17 PM
Congrats on the power being back on. I went out and counted the number of trees on my land that I have to cut,  I came up with 27 that were either totally down of broken in half. I have been thinking this would be a good time to start work on that cob place I have wanting to try,  maybe use the trees that I can manage to move around as the roof supports and roof rafters.Then just cob up to the roof. That and have a really big bonfire this summer,everyone is invited over, bring your own hot dogs..

Sounds like that bonfire might be big enough that I may be able to just stand over here and roast my 'dogs.  Glad the power is coming back!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

OldDog

8 hrs and 40 min past 15 days on generator!

our 3 phase line down the highway was back up until the wind storm filled it full of trees this afternoon!

the insurance adjuster looked at my boat shed today and said I couldn't save it and paid for it.

Dang!  I have a lot of trees to clean up at my home, my cabin & my moms home.

We're all ok and have a home so I'll buy more generator gas tomorrow

Bruce
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

glenn kangiser

What fun you are having, Bruce.  I hope it gets better soon for you.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Well I am not in the Ozark's but can sympathise with those who have been without power.  We have regular power outages due to an old line and equipment.  In fact we have been without power since Wednesday.  After a trip to town to buy the correct plug for the generator we now have enough to run the freezer and recharge the portable lights.  Estimated time to restore is Saturday at 1200 noon.  I just intermitently switch the breaker for the function that is needed.  Oh Yesh CP is one of the necessities.  While waiting for the freezer's and fridges to get cold again I thought I would check in to see what I have been missing. Not that I have been missed so much as what I have missed.  Now I will haul it up and get in 1/2 day work at the cabin and bring it back down this evening.  So if I have missed anyone that has directed anything to me I apoligise as I haphazzardly went through the E-mails of about 200.  Check back with you'all later.

glenn kangiser

Of course we miss you, John... careful out there.

The grid is so unreliable. d*

OldDog

OK I'll hush-----------

18 days 2 hrs later there was electricity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glenn kangiser

OldDog

Glenn,

$340 for gas and oil for 18 days makes for HIGH utilities!!!!!!!!!

Redoverfarm

Olddog I sort of know where you are coming from .  I just keep stacking the receipts on my project. Been running a gas generator for 3 years coming this May.  I wouldn't want to figure on what I have paid out in gas for 5 days a week.  But one rainy day I will when I get done.   d*

glenn kangiser

Until I improved my solar system by adding the tracker, we were paying around $60 to $80 a month for added gas for generator power and I thought that was high. d*