Started by 2zwudz, April 08, 2008, 10:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

System of A Down, Serj Tankian and Primus here, Jens.  [crz]

I have to do it to wake up.  d*

I'm trying to lay off the zinc though. [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

"What part of the house is the stove in, considerations - sorry if you already posted it somewhere - short on time lately."

Almost in the middle, both fore and aft and thwartships.   It is in the "L" of the staircase, which, except for the enclosed-under-the-stairs-part is open.  I think the pipe will be at least 18" from everything until it hits the roof.  This is a straight up, no bends installation. 

I'm planning on a heat shield behind the stove up to about the back of the flue, which is about 6" above the stove. (its actually a part of the stove).   

The dream:

The reality.  It will actually stand on a wood box that is about 18" tall. That post on the left is exactly in the middle of the 14' house width.

jb52761

This picture of the stove by the stairs is a tad confusing to me. Seems it is quite close to alot of wood...or, lets say, combustables...I need to study this more....the picture is making me really nervous.....jb

MountainDon

It's sometimes dufficult to tell distances looking at a photo. Every stove should have a label or metal plate on the rear that gives minimum clearances. As long as those are followed there should be no problems with safety.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

"Seems it is quite close to alot of wood...or, lets say, combustables...I need to study this more....the picture is making me really nervous"

Don't worry, she's not anywhere ready to be hooked up, and the stairs are far from done.  I have no intention of working this hard to get this far and then burn the whole thing down because I cut corners on the stove installation. No way.

There are tons of shielding options, and I've got a pretty good grip on how to make the heat move forward, not backward.  There may be an optical delusion in the pic, as there is plenty of room for clearances in the "L".

I put a tiny stove into the office and so I've had one practice run already. The chimney costs were minimal because of the size of the stove and the height of the roof. 

The single wall option may work...I'd not researched that far ahead.

I hadn't really thought about the $'s for this chimney. I try not to think too far ahead or it gets a little overwhelming.

jb52761

Obviously you have installed a stove before. I was just concerned for your safety as it is a little hard to determine the required clearances. Please don't think I was judging your intelligence. Wouldn't want anything to happen to my forum friends here......jb

considerations

"Please don't think I was judging your intelligence."

Not at all, and my apologies if my response was "too direct".  Seems to be a talent of mine.  ;)

If I wasn't looking for input, I would not post.  And this is the one place that I spend any time doing just that.  There are so many places in this world where not speaking freely is the best way to keep things running smoothly.

The only places on this forum I stay pretty silent on are the religious and political threads.  I've found this to be a pretty good policy for me.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cordwood

Something I haven't seen mentioned that has come up on my triple wall pipe before is animals nesting in the space between the layers of pipe. I have had to remove bird and mouse nests from the outer space on mine even with hardware cloth over the opening. To the best of my knowledge it isn't supposed to be sealed up or it won't transfer heat properly?!?!
I have never had a problem in the burning season, Only in spring when everthing gets frisky. ;)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

MountainDon

Quote from: cordwood on January 23, 2009, 07:10:46 PM
To the best of my knowledge it isn't supposed to be sealed up or it won't transfer heat properly?!?!

That's right. Triple wall works by having cooling air being able to circulate freely.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.