New Search

Started by John Raabe, December 10, 2010, 04:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

I've changed the search engine to Google Custom Search and it is now doing a better job of returning posts inside the current forum and some pages that were "printed" from earlier posts from previous years.

I think most folks will find it easier to use than the one built into the forum software.

Let me know what you think.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

I searched humphrey intending to locate info on the group we just hosted at the cabin.  The new search did not return a link, but the old harder to use on returned one only of many.

Seems we may need to search more than one way.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Yes, the spidering of the forum does not seem to happen often. Most of the posts that are found are older.

I did a search on "Dogtrot at Hightop" - Redoverfarm's thread started in Nov. '07 - Google found lots of that conversation. Also "Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker" was found.

I searched for "I found this walking my land..is it an old well?" and that was found with the latest post Dec 5th. These are being shown in "printed" text format - no pics. It isn't a direct link to the current forum page. I think I can tell Google not to read these files by editing my robots.txt file. But I haven't yet done that.

There is a discussion (several in fact) of this issue on the SMF support site. I spent some time there last night. Some forum webmasters have had luck with installing a mod and then setting up an xlm sitemap that is used to provide Google some structure. I might try to see if I can get some help with that. We have a customized template that would need to be custom tweaked.

John

MountainDon

We could collaborate on that. I've kept a list of the tweaks made thus far
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Tried it again and looks like the spiders have found more of the links.  Got better results this time with about 3 or 4 coming up.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Yes --- I think it is working better - found this...

John Raabe

Is Photobucket getting flakey on us? I think mine are still working fine. Are there posts of mine where they have disappeared I wonder.

MountainDon

I've noticed missing images in assorted places, but none of mine seem to be AWOL. I have a couple of different photobucket accounts. One is almost full, that is why I have now have two. I believe some folks have deleted images in their albums to make room for more. In the early days of photobucket there was no limit on the free accounts; now there is. Anyone can have more than one free photobucket account as long as they use a different email to sign up.

Except I did delete the "leprechaun" above
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.