wood residue on floor!

Started by FrankInWI, June 08, 2005, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

??? Oh my!  I put in a used bay window on the south wall.  There was a leak and the window seat rotted.  I took it out, extended the floor out to match the bay window (one straight and two 45 degrees) so I bumped out the whole room a little.  Did this in three places in the house, I love it.  
I am the worlds WORST procrastinator.  I didn't trim it in yet, especially cause I have a new leak.  I think it is from the wood sill outside.  HOWEVER there may be a worse problem.  There is like "fine pencil shaving" residue on the floor under the window....where it appears to be dropping from he boxed in vertical between the main window and the one casement.  It is VERY light material covering a 6 inch spot on the floor, maybe 1/4-1/2 cup.    :o wHAT THE HECK COULD THIS BE?  A south facing window (elevated) in Wisconsin.  No ground contact. Could something be high in the window, even the window roof, chewing and thus the residue falling down?  It's a pretty small unit, I can't really see between the framing, nor get to the underside of roof of this little bump-out.  ADVISE APPRECIATED.  A SPRAY OF SOME TYPE MIGHT HELP???
god helps those who help them selves

John Raabe

I think it might be worth a call to a pest inspector.

You might find one who will do a bit of sleuthing over the phone before they come out for an inspection. If you do need chemicals, let these guys do it and go on a short vacation.

There are lots of specific and different critters in various parts of the country. If you can provide something organic (wood) along with moisture and a close to interior temperature, then sooner or later there will be something that will think it a good place to call home.

Now if you can eliminate the moisture then someday they will die or leave on their own. Question is when and how big a mess did they leave behind.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

What you are describing sounds like a type of powder post beetle which will actually eat wood that is very dry.  I've had some carpenter bees also which will eat pretty dry wood.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

they don't eat wood, their mamas just chew holes in it to make nests!

Look up to see where the stuff is falling from.

Little hole--powder post, around three-eighths of an inch--carpenter bees.  (they look like, but aren't bumblebees)

The carpenter bees have gotten to the rafters under the roof in my barn.

glenn kangiser

Now Amanda, I recently saw a momma powder post beetle set her young en's down at the table and give each of them a little slice of wood in the shape of a piece of bread spread with peanut butter and jelly and they were all eating it -- they knew if they didn't they wouldn't get dessert-- and the mama was telling them that little beetles in China weren't as fortunate as them and would love to eat their little wood sandwich. ;D

Okay - so they don't eat it.  :-/  

BTW we have three different size carpenter bee's here.  BIG ones like bumble bees - near 1/2" dia. by 1" long then one a little smaller then the 1/4" dia. x about 3/4" long.  None of these sting as far as I know and I think they are in the beetle family instead of bees, but the big ones look very much like a bumble bee - just not furry.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

The hole that mama makes is about 3/8 of an inch, maybe a little more.  

The bees themselves are bumblebee-sized shaped and colored.  But shiny instead of furry on the rear end.

They can but don't often bite.

Daddymem

Bees are of the order Hymenoptera.  Characteristics are chewing mouth parts sometimes modified for lapping like honey bees, 2 pairs of wings joined together by hooks and complete metamorphosis.  Ants, wasps, bees, and hornets are all Hymenoptera.  Our professor told us to think "wasp waist" if it has one, it is likely in the Hymenoptera order... especially if it has the two sets of joined wings and chewing mouth parts.  
Now I know what they meant by a "rounded" education!  ;D
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/