Wood heat to other rooms on the same floor.

Started by TheWire, May 20, 2008, 04:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWire

I'm building a 20x32 1.5 story in northern WI with a wood stove on centrally located on the first floor.  I'm expecting the open area on the first floor where the stove is to stay warm enough.  As well as the 2 upstairs bunk rooms because the wood stove sits below a 8x10 loft opening between the 2 bunk rooms.

My concern is heat in the 1st floor bedroom and bathroom.  The downstairs bedroom is on the other side of the wall from the wood stove.  As we don't have electricity for blowers, I was thinking of using an 8" sheet metal elbow pointed down a foot or so above the wood stove with the other side of the elbow connected to a short 8" pipe going through the wall to the bedroom.  This would "scoop" up warm air and push it into the bedroom. 

The bathroom is not close to the wood stove and I'm not sure what to do there.  Gas lights throw off quite a bit of heat and I was thinking about trying one in the bathroom to keep the chill at bay.

Thanx,

Jerry

Any thoughts on how other heat the other rooms of a wood stove heated house without power would be appreciated.

Redoverfarm

Jerry they make a fan that is run by the convection of heat that sits ontop of the stove.  My uncle has one and as long as there is heat it will run run run without any electric.  I saw them once and they were pretty expensive. Possibly used in conjunction with a small duct work will work just fine.   

MountainDon

Those fans use heat to produce a small amount of electricity than runs the small fan, if you are talking about the ones I have seen. They work well. There is one caveat though. The ones I saw could be damaged by a too hot fire; or more precisely a flue that is too hot. Check that out before committing your dollars.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

It would be nice if you could come up with a funnel or hood mounted above the stove. That would collect the heat and then a stovepipe could direct the hot air to the other room. That might work. I believe once the thermosiphon action got going it would work well enough.

On the other hand back home in Canada we heated an 832 sq ft home with 2 bedrooms and the bath across the back. The bedrooms were noticeably cooler than the open front half of the house (kitchen, dining, living), but not too bad. It was nice for sleeping. Of course it was well insulated and the windows were triple pane casement; air infiltration was minimal.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

TheWire

Thanx guys, I checked into the fans.  There looks like 2 kinds.  Electric Peltier type and Stirling engine type.  Both are about $175.  Stirling engine is rated to 1000 Deg F and its a neat concept of a little engine cranking out from the heat. 

In www.thermalengines.com FAQ they said if the stove is too hot for this fan, chance are your house is on fire :D.

Now I need to find a generator to charge 12 batteries that works the same way!

MountainDon

The stirling engine model sounds cool... er, hot.  :)
...except that is sounds like to have to manually spin start it.  ???  I wonder how low the fire can go before it stops... ? Of course if it was not necessary to have a stoking fire you probably wouldn't need the fan as much anyways.. ?

Never heard about that one before.

As for your batteries... which way are you leaning? Just very curious about everybody's alternative electrical systems.  ;D

Redoverfarm

Jerry that doesn't look like the one that I had seen but probably works on the same principle.  The one that I had seen had heavy fins, flat black in color and was really quite attractive. 

Daddymem

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

glenn kangiser

You could also duct under the floor to pull the cold air from the room by convection if you had the proper stove, but it would need to be one that had a double wall for convective heat and a plenum to get the air from the back room duct to the heated side of the stove. 

Thinking about it, our Franklin has a double back wall - heat shield that could be used for this purpose.  A door could be left open or wall registers put in to complete the circuit.

The stoves I used to build were made to do this, but the company that supplied  the materials kits went out of business.

The Stirling fan is a cool little piece of machinery.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Yep Daddyman that's the one he had.  A little more attractive I think. Work exceptional as well. 

mvk

I've been thinking about this also.

No one talks about a hot water loop to a radiator, and I was wondering why? I know it would be more expensive but are there other reasons why not. I'm thinking that you might have to run the stove to hot to make it work?

Does the bedroom share a wall with the stove, maybe you could put the stove part way into the room?

Maybe you could have a metal box in the wall open top and bottom like those early solar air heaters. Just the thickness of the wall, use metal studs and roofing say a 4' wide panel with the stove backed up to it. maybe a little hood over part of the stove ?

Mike

John Raabe

One old design trick that has been used to help with this is the transom window over doors. Operable transoms can help provide airflow and equalize temperature.

This from Amy & Dans house in Michigan... (but I don't think this one opens)

None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

That jangles my memory!

My elementary school, a building that was already somewhat old back then, had transom windows over every classroom door. And each room had its own coat room, for winter wear.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on May 22, 2008, 08:18:05 PM
That jangles my memory!

My elementary school, a building that was already somewhat old back then, had transom windows over every classroom door. And each room had its own coat room, for winter wear.

Your telling your age Don. ;D

My fourth grade teacher, a blue haired spinster who often quoted her father, called it a....CLOAK ROOM. Never mind that none of us owned a cloak, that is until I went to military school. rofl
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Yes, Peter. It was officially known as the Cloak room, but I never saw the sense in that as I only owned coats and jackets; so I refused to call it a cloak room.

I had a herringbone cloak and deerstalker cap in university, though  ::) a la Sherlock Holmes, plus a dozen or so pipes, one a Calabash like Holmes smoked. And 6 inch magnifying glass.  ::) ::)  :-[ 

glenn kangiser

We had a whole hallway that was a cloak room for three grades.  One of the poor kids used to come in while everyone was out and steal peoples lunch etc. 

I hid in there one recess, caught him and made a citizens arrest as I recall. 

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 24, 2008, 09:18:47 AM
We had a whole hallway that was a cloak room for three grades.  One of the poor kids used to come in while everyone was out and steal peoples lunch etc. 

I hid in there one recess, caught him and made a citizens arrest as I recall. 

Lord Glenn, your worse than me. I can't remember where I put my glasses this morning but I remember the second grade, where Stevie Glick (who was poor but I didn't know poor from rich then) stole a gift pack of lifesavers one student had brought as a Christmas gift for the teacher.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

It was kind of a vigilante thing.

Some day I'll tell you the one about the time I chased down a drunk illegal and her boyfriend with my Peterbilt after she sideswiped a Greyhound Bus going the opposite direction.  I chased her 10 miles until her tire blew, took her keys then sent another motorist to get the cops.

Several more.

Redoverfarm

I am like Glenn. You can take a lot of stuff from me but don't mess with my food.