Paint color selection

Started by diyfrank, September 29, 2011, 09:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

Is there a secret to selecting the right trim color or is it try and keep trying till it looks right.
I'm at the paint stage on my cabin project and I thought brown would go with the green metal roof but upper management said no. I found a paint that looks like sage we both agree would look good for the siding but I'm unsure what it should be trimmed with. I do have the hardie singles at the gable ends and could paint them another color, I still have a bucket of brown I may use on those.

Any suggestions on what goes with sage and green? Paint isn't my area at all.
Home is where you make it

CjAl

Ive seen sign and vinyl.guys with charts of colors that complement and contrast others. So theyre out there but much more complecated then youd need for house colors id think.

Alot of it comes down to opinion. With sage.id.go.with either a darker green or white. I was thinking dark green but then you mentioned the gable ends so then i thought dark green on them and white trim. But im pretty conservative on colors and if i had my way itd all be contrasting colors of wood grain and no paint

Rob_O

Pick a paint company and go to their website. Most have some sort of program that will suggest color choices or allow you to see several colors side-by-side.

Once you have a few colors picked out get samples and paint a few boards to submit to management for approval
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

diyfrank

White sound good for trim. Would green gable ends look good or bad with a green metal roof?

I'll try the paint company's online and see what they may have for choice selection.

trish2

The darker the trim, especially on gable ends, the more heat it will absorb, the sooner it will fade,  and the sooner it will need repainting.  Personally, I hate re-painting.  My input says use an off-white paint color, (there are at least 10,000 'off whites' out there), and thus put off re-painting as long as possible.

Gary O

If its color you are after, take photos of your place to a bona fide paint store, Sherwin Williams, Rhodda, any, and they can scan various color schemes into your photos. HD and Lowes can too, but the real pros are most helpful
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

considerations

Think about plain old white - tidy looking, easy to match. 

FrankInWI

ditto on the guys or gals at the paint stores, including HD et al.  Maybe not everyone of them.. but I have an expert at my HD who came up with some great combinations for me.
god helps those who help them selves

diyfrank

I'll take a photo to HD and Lowe's and see what they come up with. White seems to be a good choice for trim also. I never considered the fading of darker color but it makes sense.