Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12

Started by JavaMan, April 20, 2010, 12:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

You get that roof sheeted and covered (at least anyway) with 30# felt and you'll have a place to stay when it starts to rain/snow!

But get as much sheeting done as possible once the roof is in place, to keep the critters out...and consider the water system I'm using (and greywater drain)....you might even get the misses up there.

Speaking of which, tell her the dust is only a problem, really, in August and September....ok maybe late July too but the rest of the year it isn't an issue really and with running water becomes a non-issue.

CjAl

i love pot belly stoves. we salvaged an old one from an old train station, big sucker. we refinished it all and my buddy worked at a chromer that did all work for harley davidson. we took off all the legs, handles etc and sent them along to be chromed. i miss that old stove. it would run you out of a 30x30 uninsulated shop.in northern wi

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 15, 2012, 05:05:21 PM
You get that roof sheeted and covered (at least anyway) with 30# felt and you'll have a place to stay when it starts to rain/snow!

But get as much sheeting done as possible once the roof is in place, to keep the critters out...and consider the water system I'm using (and greywater drain)....you might even get the misses up there.

Speaking of which, tell her the dust is only a problem, really, in August and September....ok maybe late July too but the rest of the year it isn't an issue really and with running water becomes a non-issue.

Getting it closed in is the plan!  Hopefully I can manage to get that done by the end of Labor Day weekend (I get "the day before Labor day" off as well!)

Well, the water isn't a big problem - that I can come up with a solution for.  It's the condition of the road - and I don't mean the dust (that's just a bonus)... I mean the fact that on the steep parts, it rattles her fillings loose! [frus]

I have looked at a number of solutions to this problem, but sadly, most of them involve heavy machinery, or some sort of paving ...  Next time I go up, I'll try to get some pictures ... I have a mini-grand canyon on one hill, that even the heavy equipment heading up there lately hasn't crushed into submission.  I've thought of trying to find a chunk of 'I' beam or railroad rail to harness behind my truck and run up and down the road a few times, but that might not even solve the problem...

All that, plus she doesn't like high desert.  Sheesh.  So, I may finish this build, sell out and look for a new parcel to start on.  Of course, if I do that, I will make darn certain that it meets enough criteria that she can't say she won't come up.

I can't blame her, though.  I bought the land before I met her! [noidea'

JavaMan

Quote from: CjAl on August 15, 2012, 08:56:32 PM
i love pot belly stoves. we salvaged an old one from an old train station, big sucker. we refinished it all and my buddy worked at a chromer that did all work for harley davidson. we took off all the legs, handles etc and sent them along to be chromed. i miss that old stove. it would run you out of a 30x30 uninsulated shop.in northern wi

I've seen one like that on Craigslist.  They wanted something like $400 for it (maybe $350, it was a while back).  It was pretty cool

JavaMan

Ok, here's the pictures I promised!

The trusses in position!

And finally in place!  [cool]

OlJarhead

I'm glad it worked out!  Now get back there and sheet the roof!

Too bad I'm out of work or I'd be sure to be up there the same weekend to help out :(

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 17, 2012, 08:07:33 PM
I'm glad it worked out!  Now get back there and sheet the roof!

Too bad I'm out of work or I'd be sure to be up there the same weekend to help out :(

Not to worry.  I've been thinking about how to sheath the roof, and have come up with a few ideas.  I am hoping that on Labor day weekend I can get the gable ends framed, those, and the rest of the walls sheathed and the roof sheathed.

If I get ahead of it, I might even get the felt on!  But I'm not counting on it.  I figure if I don't get all the sheathing on, I at least want to get the roof done and the gable ends framed.

With 4 days, I would think I could get it all done, tho. ???

OlJarhead

The main thing to plan is this:

If you do not get the roof sheeted or felted then plan to tarp it.  Tarp it over and nail down furring strips to ensure the tarp stays put.

That way, next year when you make it out it will have stayed dry and protected throughout the winter and you wouldn't have lost any previous years work etc due to water damage.

This is what I did the first year and it worked very well!

In that picture you can see the HUGE tarp that we put over the cabin and tied down.  It worked very well and was worth the $100 it cost me!

JavaMan

Yup, Got the tarp ... well, not the 1.2 trillion dollars  [noidea', but the kind for over the roof...

But I think that I should be able to get that up on the roof - or at least MOST of it, in which case I'll still need a tarp, but not as big.

I don't think the snow will fly before the end of October, tho, and I am planning a second trip up in September so I might get the steel on it this year, yet.  Which would be awesome! :)

So I think I'm closing in on being "done" - at least with the shell.

I'm looking forward to Labor Day weekend - altho I hope the price of gas drops again.  This is getting goofy!

JavaMan

Frankly, a tarp is looking quite affordable!

I am trying to put together the "budget" for the trip this coming weekend, and aside from gasoline being at least $0.50 / gallon more expensive, I just priced the lumber I need and it looks like I'll be spending at least $50 more than I would have a couple months ago (beginning of the summer).  And that doesn't include replacing the 2 or 3 sheets of 23/32 t&g OSB that grew legs and wandered off  [chainsaw]

The 19/32 osb sheets have increased by about $4.50 per sheet!  Since I need at least 8 of them that's a goodly chunk of change!

And Beautiful wonders why I'm in an all fire hurry to get these parts finished.   [waiting]

Ah well.  Hopefully this will be the last of the 'major' purchases.  Of course, I still have the metal roofing and some sort of siding to go, but once the roofing is done, the siding will be on an "as available" basis.

I'm figuring on framing the gable ends on Friday (I have Friday and Monday off), finishing the wall sheathing on Saturday, and using the rest of the time to sheath the roof (Sunday and Monday).  Any time besides that will be putting in the windows and door (and steps up to the door).  I also want to build some shutters for over the windows, and maybe the door.  Just to keep the stones and cows out.

OlJarhead

Add to your budget a game cam.  Get the newer small one from cabela's that takes AA batteries which I'm told can last close to a year!

Then place it somewhere not so obvious but able to clearly catch anyone at your place.

My friend, who is a Sheriffs Deputy tells me they solve a lot of cases because of those cameras.

May not get your wood back, but may help making whomever thinks it's free for the taken pay in other ways.

rick91351

OSB and plywood will go sky high again with the current storm in the gulf.  Best buy ASAP or wait a month or so unless a couple more named storms show up then will be up for a long time.   

Right now a lot of the stores are shrinking inventory.  This causes the autumn rise in prices.  When building was booming you never noticed it.  Now they will be waiting until early spring to put a lot more product in the product pipe line unless it all goes to the Gulf Coast.  Then high, high and higher...

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

JavaMan

Quote from: rick91351 on August 27, 2012, 01:20:15 PM
OSB and plywood will go sky high again with the current storm in the gulf.  Best buy ASAP or wait a month or so unless a couple more named storms show up then will be up for a long time.   

Right now a lot of the stores are shrinking inventory.  This causes the autumn rise in prices.  When building was booming you never noticed it.  Now they will be waiting until early spring to put a lot more product in the product pipe line unless it all goes to the Gulf Coast.  Then high, high and higher...

Y'know, usually I think of these things... goes to show you where my head is at these days.  Yeah, the hurricane season is upon us, but I don't think that is the ONLY reason the cost is going up... with the cost of gas going up, the cost to transport that lumber goes up, which no one wants to eat, so it gets pushed down the chain to the consumer...

Ah well, that's life...

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 27, 2012, 12:56:53 PM
Add to your budget a game cam.  Get the newer small one from cabela's that takes AA batteries which I'm told can last close to a year!

Then place it somewhere not so obvious but able to clearly catch anyone at your place.

My friend, who is a Sheriffs Deputy tells me they solve a lot of cases because of those cameras.

May not get your wood back, but may help making whomever thinks it's free for the taken pay in other ways.

Hmmm, the gamecam I have takes "D" cells.  I'd be afraid they'd take the cam, too! [frus]

But you do have a point.  If I can figure out where to place it, I want to put it up this trip.  What gets me is that they got the stuff *after* my first trip up.  All I can figure is that they saw the mess I made getting into and out of the property and went to investigate.

Beautiful thinks it was a bunch of kids looking for something to build a jump ramp for their dirt bikes and such.  I am inclined to agree. (no pun intended)

rick91351

Quote from: JavaMan on August 27, 2012, 02:41:03 PM
Hmmm, the gamecam I have takes "D" cells.  I'd be afraid they'd take the cam, too! [frus]

.......................snip

They did get Mike On Bike's last year.........
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Game cam hidden watching the other game cam that's hidden ;)  Might work.

On the price of things going up, I suspect gas will rise rapidly if the Gulf gets wacked hard....good idea to fill up now and get the extra you may use on the trip now too....just sayin ;)

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 27, 2012, 07:03:30 PM

I have had thoughts of mounting a dummy camera or a box that sort of looks like a game camera by the shop.  And putting up a real one near by....

Great minds......

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 27, 2012, 07:03:30 PM

On the price of things going up, I suspect gas will rise rapidly if the Gulf gets wacked hard....good idea to fill up now and get the extra you may use on the trip now too....just sayin ;)

Dang!  I have NO idea where my mind is at... You're right, of course.  Guess I'll have to forgo lunch today, and make sure the truck gets filled  :-\

This trip is already over $100 more than I figured it would be back when I planned it a couple months ago.

OlJarhead

Looks like the storm will be weak when it hits but I suspect the wells and refineries are all off-line now which means higher prices in the very near future (like maybe this weekend or sooner)....if they get wacked then who knows, could be $5 /gallon soon enough (wouldn't take much to get there).

I picked up what I needed for my next trip.  Won't save much, maybe $5 but that's $5 I can spend somewhere else ;)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 28, 2012, 09:19:01 AM
Looks like the storm will be weak when it hits but I suspect the wells and refineries are all off-line now which means higher prices in the very near future (like maybe this weekend or sooner)....if they get wacked then who knows, could be $5 /gallon soon enough (wouldn't take much to get there).

I picked up what I needed for my next trip.  Won't save much, maybe $5 but that's $5 I can spend somewhere else ;)

I hear you on that!  So when are you headed back up there?

OlJarhead

Mid-September.

Wish it were sooner but must buckle down while I'm laid off.

JavaMan

Yeah, especially with that repair to the truck!  That had to hurt the budget big time.

Well, the boss just gave approval for "casual" dress tomorrow, and since we have Friday AND Monday off, I'll be headed up tomorrow right from the office (saves me about 90 minutes over leaving from home, not to mention the commute TO home and everything else).  Can't wait to get the place buttoned up.

mountainlady1956

Well I don't have much building advice but I love your sense of humor and smileys. I am enjoying watching your build too!
Cathy

pmichelsen

Sounds like a good plan, I'm hoping to "work" remote on Friday to get me up to the property a little earlier. I took off Tuesday to tack on a little extra time up at the property. Hopefully you can knock out your to-do list and enjoy your place over the weekend.

JavaMan

Well, I got up to the property last weekend and got a few things done, but not all that I had hoped to  >:(

Let's look at accomplishments first:
1.  Gable ends framed. (pictures to follow)
2. Wall sheathing finished (except for gable ends)
3. First row of Roof sheathing on north side of roof (picture to follow)

And now the rest of the story (to quote Paul Harvey)

Got up there Thursday evening, unloaded the 2x4's that I got for one of the gable ends and organized a couple things.  By then it was getting dark (and quite cold!)

Friday morning, got up, made coffee and breakfast, and got to work.  Framed the eastern gable end just before the generator ran out of gas.  Which was fortunate, since I was out of lumber and needed to run to the lumber yard anyway.  It's about 10 am at this point.

Ran down the mountain, into town, stopped got gas for the genny and a few gallons in the truck.  Over to the lumber yard where I spend just over $200, to be told, "they (the card processing company) charge us more if we run your debit card as a credit card" (I run it as a credit because I get cash back that way) - had I been thinking I would have observed that they must have that built into the price of what they sell and therefore they must be overcharging their debit/cash customers ... apparently I hadn't had enough coffee yet. ???

They ran it as credit anyway, so no harm, no foul, really.

On the way back up the mountain, because of the way I had the 4x8 sheets of OSB strapped to the top of the truck, the leading edge of the top one caught the wind, flipped and broke in half, flying off the back of the truck.  Now, I'm a 1/2 sheet less. (did I mention I apparently hadn't had enough coffee?)  I did pull over, grab it, added a strap to the front of the load so that wouldn't happen again, and then meandered up the hill s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y ...

Got up to the site again, unloaded the sheets for the wall sheathing, finished that up (except the gable ends), and had lunch.  After lunch finished the west gable end framing.  By then it was about 3pm and I was wiped out.  I had been planning to work until dusk, but just didn't have energy.

Saturday morning, got up, made coffee and breakfast, and started thinking about how to get the sheets of 4x8x19/32 osb from the top of the truck to the roof.  Eventually I put together a block and tackle and hoisted the first sheet up - which took about 2 hours once I decided to do it that way.  I had some bushes to contend with that were preventing an easy lift.  The chain saw wouldn't start so I could remove them either [chainsaw]

Eventually getting it up there, I scrambled up the other ladder to the loft, secured the sheet, attempting to make certain that it was square (you'll see in the picture, that it depends on which end you line up with if it's square or not.  Some of the roof rafters are a bit warped - it's a SHED remember!).  That one sheet just about did me in, but once it was nailed down the whole section of roof (rafters,etc...) became much more stable and solid.

At this point I started trying to come up with other ways of getting panels up to the roof, and spent a couple hours thinking and analyzing - all to no avail  [frus]

So I cut a sheet in half and put the last section on the bottom row, next to the sheet I had already put up there.

Then I thought some more...

Gave up for the day, and tried to relax a bit, removed some brush (yes, the chain saw finally started)

Got up Sunday morning, made coffee, had breakfast, and took 2 aspirin.  About 15 minutes later, felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest, was light headed, and felt itchy all over while my arms were breaking out in, what appreared to be , hives.  A few minutes later my face felt like it was swelling - or feeling "puffy" at the least.  I was starting to panic a bit and felt like I might be sick to my stomach.

As it started to slowly subside, I still felt like ... well, not good, and decided to pack it in and head towards civilization.  It took my 3 hours to pack up the truck!

After getting home, the best guess that I have as to what happened is I either got bit or stung, and didn't feel it, or (after an internet search on various symptoms) I had an allergice reaction to the aspirin!  If that's the case, I might be in a world of hurt, cause aspirin is my pain-killer of choice.  It works wonders for my back aches, and other pains, where tylenol absolutely fails.

Ah well, guess it's time for a trip to the allergist.  Never had allergies in my life - I'd hate to get them now.

So, job not finished, and I'm going to plan on heading up again in a few weeks, if I can get clearance from Beautiful (and there isn't much else going on at home!)  This time, I'm going to put out an offer to some of the younger guys I know at church, etc... to see if they want to earn a few extra $$$ - I'm done with attempting the work up high alone.

As for the pictures.  One of the other "bad" things that happened this trip is that I forgot the camera, so I have cell phone pictures.  That is, if I can figure how to get them off my stupid phone.