would you/ could you use RV parts & fixtures for a cabin?

Started by soomb, February 01, 2010, 10:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: kenhill on February 03, 2010, 08:23:59 PM
Propane camp stove ($50), 25 lb tank ($30), mantle lantern on post connected to tank ($30), and tankless water heater ($100)

What kind of tankless water heater is that?  The only one I've found so far is Bosh that was $650!

It's what I was planning in our cabin so we could have showers.

soomb

Quote from: MountainDon on February 01, 2010, 11:44:53 AM
Sure you can. If fact our project was begun with the same thought. However, as time passed in our lengthy planning stage we decided against the small first idea and went right into the "let's build a proper cabin" phase.

Is the trailer too far gone, messy, and what not to consider using it for a year or two as you think about what you want to do. Most minor RV roof leaks can be repaired with a gallon or two of roof sealer. I use the white RV roof coat around all seams and joints. There is also a sealing tape that is made for the job. I've used both.
Don, What do you have experience with on your aluminum roof?  My Coachman 34" has an aluminum roof (I made it up and scrubbed off years for pine to find the roof)  I want to seal the roof and I have to move on to replacing roof vents and AC shrouds as well.  Any infor would be great.

Craig
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

MountainDon

Craig, I've used a brush on / roll on material from Kool Seal. They have a few products and I do not recall exactly which one I used, but it was white in color.   

I've also used a roll tape material, 4 inches wide made by Eternabond. It sticks to anything except silicone.

Don
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

davidj

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 04, 2010, 11:21:03 AM

What kind of tankless water heater is that?  The only one I've found so far is Bosh that was $650!

Eccotemp does some small tankless water heaters.  The Eccotemp L5 is about $130.  The Eccotemp L10 is more like $200.  Neither are listed for indoor use in the US, although they are used indoors in other countries.  You can find them at various places on the web.

We've actually got both - the L5 (30K BTU iirc) is okay for the outdoor shower in the Summer what the water in the hoses is already warm but when the weather cools down you only get a small trickle (<1gpm) at a decent temperature. We're probably gonna set it up in our outdoor kitchen area for rinsing hands and plates at some point.   The L10 (60K BTU??) is more reasonable for a shower in the Spring and Fall (and we're not set up for Winter water yet).  I think we're gonna leave this in the outside shower given it's unlisted for indoor use.  Both run off a regular 5gal propane tank and have an electronic ignition that runs off a couple of D cells.  The Bosch is something like 130K BTU and a lot of folks install a 200K BTU unit ($800-$1000) in a bigger house so you can run a faucet and a shower at the same time.

Pritch

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 04, 2010, 11:21:03 AM
Quote from: kenhill on February 03, 2010, 08:23:59 PM
Propane camp stove ($50), 25 lb tank ($30), mantle lantern on post connected to tank ($30), and tankless water heater ($100)

Here's the cheapest one I've found: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=477229  It goes for $119.97.  They claim a 1.4 GPM output and a water temp range of 80° to 150ºF.  The "deluxe model boasts 2.65 GPM for $239.97. 
They also have a vented Ecotemp unit for $319.97.  74,000 BTUs and 3 GPM.  (This one requires a 120V AC outlet.) 

"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln