Tom's Spring

Started by glenn-k, September 09, 2005, 09:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

I had posted information on the old forum from Tom in Vermont about his spring and what he was going to do to try to restore it.  First I will post a copy of the original post.  Next his update.

Original:

Tom has an old rock springbox on his property. It is currently filled with silt,water etc. He is going to try to clean it out and get the original flow back and report back to us to let us know if he was successful.

Update today.

Hi Glenn,

I don't know if you remember but I posted a few times last year on the countryplans forum about developing the spring on my land in Vermont.  I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger but thought I'd give you a quick update.  I'll try to post more detailed progress and pictures or links to pictures when I have time.

I had the old spring dowsed by a few people and finally had an excavator come in and do the work a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately I wasn't there when he dug the spring but his description of what he found closely matched what the dowser told me.  It was pretty dry here and the spring filled in a few days - 12 yards of stone and 3 of the total of 4 spring tiles.  He also finished the curtain drain for my leachfield, laid 400 ft of waterline, widened my driveway 2 feet for a length of 60-70 ft and dug a test hole in a wet area to see if it could support a pond (the frogs are loving it).  All this was done in a day for $2300. There is no way it would have made sense for me to try this on my own.  Just he and his Dad were there were doing the work.  The 400 feet of line was laid aprrox 5 feet deep in 1-1/2 hours, before being completely backfilled.

I'll try to post more information on the house (20x30 storey and a half) and all of the things that were done.  I'm looking forward to having the time to be able to read the forum again.  Take care.

Tom

JeffnTN

Tom:

It sounds like you had a great crew.

The price was right on that job.

Dirt work here is MUCH more expensive.  Laying a water line is even more costly.

Jeff