The Rebuild 26x52 two story

Started by dablack, May 18, 2014, 09:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

Thanks guys.  I really enjoyed learning the brick work.  The first column (way on the end) isn't the best but it is ok.  The rest of them are pretty good.  I'm still slow as Christmas when doing brick work, but I enjoy it. 

If it doesn't rain too much this weekend, I will be putting up 1x boards as the porch roof deck.  It will be visible from below so I didn't want OSB or plywood. 

Austin

dablack

OK!  So, the porch is mostly done and I've started on the hardie board siding.  It is going up really well and I didn't have to buy a siding gun.  My framer is working great but it does have a depth adjustment so it was easy to dial in.  I'm also using the dark green siding gauges and they are working great.  Turns it into a one man show. 

I'm trying imgur now since photobucket doesn't like me anymore.   Lets see if this works. 

MountainDon

Pictures good.  How did Harvey affect you?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dablack

Harvey didn't do anything to us.  I don't think we even got an inch of rain.  Our rain total for the month was probably about +20%.  All the bands lost their power just east of here.  Nacogdoches (the oldest town in Tx) is about 30 minutes straight east from us.  They got TONS of rain but East TX is very hilly so some roads over creeks got lots of water but everyone was fine.  The only time we ever have a problem is if the winds take down trees and then we lose power.  We were away from home for a while due to work and when we got back, the chest freezer was fine but the frig freezer had lost power long enough that we had to throw away everything.  No big deal.  The only real loss was all the blackberries we had juiced to make jelly.  We had 4 gallons of juice in the freezer that went in the compost.  It broke my heart.  No blackberry jelly this year.  Oh well.
My sister in Houston was trapped in her dry house for about three days.  My younger sister in law had 3' of water in her house in Katy.  We went down ASAP and pulled the lower 4' of sheetrock, carpet, baseboards, and drill holes in the bottom of the cabinets.  I set up a dehumidifier and luckily their AC was still working.  We got it all out quick so mold never got to form.  I still sprayed the stud bays down with mold remediation stuff.  They have new beds now and are sort of camping in their house.   

Next step is to keep going with the siding.  I will run out of areas that I can reach with the step ladder and will need to buy some scaffolding. 

Austin

NathanS

The exterior is looking good. I've been using a stanley clamp i found on ebay for my clapboards - patent date of 1888, well over 100 yrs old, amazing little thing, works like new and made out of brass. Not sure it would work on cement board, but so nice having the right tools. Makes quick work out of a 16 ft clapboard.

I'm in the same boat as you on scaffolding too. I really should have bought some for the roof, I think it would have saved 2+ weeks off install time.

Anyway keep posting progress.

dablack

Slowly doing siding.  The back and sides of the house only have siding up to about 6 or 7'.  I still haven't ordered any scaffolding but will have to at some point.  I've been spending my time putting up shiplap inside.  Anyway, here is the latest shot of the front.  Trim is primed but not painted. 

Don_P

[cool] Beautiful, a long road for sure, you all should be very proud

dablack

Thanks Don.  We still have tons to do but we are still enjoying it.  I cut some bricks to cap my brick columns but I haven't mixed any mortar yet.  I'm kind of persnickety about things and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to top those columns with a brick cap that will match my standards.  I think I'm going to form something up and pour the caps in place. 

On the inside, we still have spray foam wall paper in about half the rooms but we are slowly fixing that with the shiplap. 

Austin

ChugiakTinkerer

For your column caps are you thinking along the lines of a concrete countertop?  It seems like a great opportunity to personalize it with something that symbolizes the work your family has put into the place.  I've always liked the cast bronze inlays at the Denver International Airport.  Handprints might be a little hokey, but this is what I'm thinking of:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Art-at-DIA/Permanent-Works/21st-Century-Artifacts/i-8ZLd75d/2/05811d3d/XL/untitled-43-2-XL.jpg
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

dablack

Yes, I have been reading up on "pour in place" concrete counter tops.  It would have been much easier to pour them upside down in a form and then set them on the bricks but I have wood posts in the way now so oh well.  Brass inlays would be crazy cool but I'm hesitant.  I'm not sure what I would use or do.  If it was a cap that didn't have a big 8x8 post on top, then I would put a compass centered on the cap or something similar. 

dablack

Just wanted to put a finish line on this project.  I sold the house last week.  Not everything was done but we have moved to a new city and were only at the house for weekends, vacation, and holidays.  I really enjoyed building the house and I will probably build again at some point.  We are renting in the new town right now and if we find some land that we like, we will build on that. 

azgreg

That's a beautiful place buddy. Turned out great.

Don_P

After all you went through I'm sure that was a tough decision. It looks mighty fine, job well done  :)

NathanS

Looks fantastic. Keep us posted on any new projects.

dablack

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the kind works.  This build was for sure a learning experience. 
1.  I will never build a two story again, if I'm doing most of the work.  doing the siding on the bottom of the house happened in a very short period.  The siding on the top part of the house took forever!  I rather pay more for a slab and roof and put all the sq footage on one floor. 
2.  Attic trusses.  SO HANDY! 
3.  My level lied to me a couple of times.  I will use a plumb bob next time. 
4.  Finally, on any long walls, use the string trick to make sure the are straight at the top. 

thanks
Austin

Migraine Craftsman

Quote from: dablack on December 06, 2018, 08:28:32 AM
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the kind works.  This build was for sure a learning experience. 
1.  I will never build a two story again, if I'm doing most of the work.  doing the siding on the bottom of the house happened in a very short period.  The siding on the top part of the house took forever!  I rather pay more for a slab and roof and put all the sq footage on one floor. 
2.  Attic trusses.  SO HANDY! 
3.  My level lied to me a couple of times.  I will use a plumb bob next time. 
4.  Finally, on any long walls, use the string trick to make sure the are straight at the top. 

thanks
Austin

That turned out great! I also feel you on the two story, I will also never build one again, a lot of hard work, and trusses are such a time saver well worth it.
/cheers  c*