Wood Stoves for homes 1,000 sq feet and smaller

Started by Shawn B, July 25, 2010, 10:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn B

Over on Oljarhead's thread for his cabin we discussed woodstoves for small houses. It seems that the Joutul 602 and the Vermont Castings Aspen are two popular ones. I started searching to see if there were other stoves out there and found some from Northern Tool. These do not appear to be the same quality as the Jotul or Aspen.

Please feel free to post links, pictures, etc when you find currently manufactured wood stove's that fits this criteria.

The "Rancher" cookstove heats up to 1,000 sq feet
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307953_200307953

Boxwood Stove heats up to 800 sq feet
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_796_796

Cast Iron Pot Belly Stove heats up to 1,000 sq feet
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_2053_2053

"LitL Sweetie" Boxwood Stove heats up to 600 sq feet
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394664_200394664
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

OlJarhead

After buying my Aspen I found those little stoves....and after the shock of the price (come on really?) and searching Amazon only to find them EVEN CHEAPER I tried to remind myself of this:

In the state of Washington those stoves aren't 'approved' for use.

Now, the libertarian in me says "who gives a crap?" but the law abiding citizen in me says "no thanks, not dealing with the fine!"....

However, a tour of other cabins in my area taught me that NO ONE, virtually NO ONE, has bothered to give a rats behind about code.

On the other hand, the Aspen is low on particulates and it is my suspicion that it's safer to run.

Having said all that, I'd like to buy one of those stoves (the $159 one on Amazon) and try it out to see just how good/bad it is and maybe hang on to it incase I have a need for an 'un-authorized' stove in a shed/cabin/shack/workshop in the future ;)

Bill Houghton

Ok, this one says for "up to" 1500 sq. ft.  I have one in my 208 sq. ft. man-shed-roof trailer.  I keep a window cracked.  It is a very fine stove and it works great.  ($$$ though  d*)

http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_vista.php

Shawn B

Dad and me went to Menards today to "look at stuff". Yes we managed to buy a few little things  :) While going down one of the aisles we saw that they have the Boxwood in stock for a little under $250.

The quality appeared to be decent/usable. Two things I noticed was the stove is not insulated on the sides or bottom, and the openings around the door, air inlet and stove pipe look like they would not seal as good as one would expect on a Aspen, Jotul, Pacific Energy, etc. But for the price and right application I think they would be quite serviceable. However I don't think I would want one as a primary heat source. One installed on a porch, breakfast nook, bunkhouse, man shed, hunting cabin would be handy IMO  :) Especially the rancher.

Bill Houghton,  I helped install a Pacific Energy stove once....that one appeared to be a "top shelf" item.

Erik,  maybe you could design a small bunkhouse around the Rancher stove. That would be  [cool] for hunting season  ???  Or maybe use it like Mtn Don used his Chiminea in a gazebo? I might have to install it in my future porch or mudroom. If nothing more it could just sit there.....that stove just shouts RUSTIC. Yeah I might be obsessed  [noidea'....

Shawn

"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

Jeff922

I have a Pacific Enenrgy Alderlea in my primary residence.  It is a fantastic stove.  I also have an Avalon Rainier in my Victoria's Cottage which I had used in my primary residence for 8 years.  Also a fantastic stove.  These things are pricey but a solid investment.  If you're going to try to heat 1000 sq ft, justget the largest one you can afford.  Forget the mfgs' ratings they are worthless in my opinion.  Really only two things matter.  Get the largest firebox and the heaviest one you can afford. Weight is very important. 
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

firefox

My concern for buying a non proven stove, would be that if the castings weren't quality controlled, they just might crack under the heat resulting in a bad fire.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Shawn B

Firefox,  I believe they are quality controlled, there just built with old techniques and low cost in mind.  As with any cast iron over heating then sudden cooling, or over heating and drastic impacts can be damaging.  I don't think I would want to run one full time every winter day in, day out. Not so much because of safety, but using too much wood and; by judging the doors I don't think they will seal the smoke the best.

Bob S.

what do you guys thing of the Sedorea Stove?
     http://sedorestovewest.com/     (I hope I did that right)
I have my hart set on one of those babys

Jeff922

Another thing to consider:  A high-tech, so-called "airtight" woodstove is a lot less maintenance.  The secondary combustion in these well designed stoves burn off a lot of the creosote which would normally go up the stove pipe.  As a result, a lot less chimney sweeping.  I installed a new Dura-Plus triple wall chimney at the same time I bought the Avalon Rainer.  I burn about 4 cords a year (and a lot of sappy soft wood too) and I have not had to sweep it yet after 10 years of use!  There is less than a 1/16" buildup.  We had one of those 70s thermostatically controlled woodstoves (ashley?) in my parents house.  That thing was terrible!  The "thermostat" would choke the stove down to a smolder and load the chimney with creosote (which did result in a chimmey fire).  This is also how the modern, high-tech stoves increase efficiency.  You burn the creosote and get heat from it rather than sending it up the chimney.

Also, any manufacturer who says "you can burn anything in this" or "you don't need to split your wood" or "burns green wood" should be approached with great caution.  These are bad (and in my opinion irresponsible) burning techniques.  The mfgers of outdoor wood boilers deserve a lot of the regulation they now face because many of them actually promoted these techniques (and resulted in dirty, smokey burns and POed neighbors).

Rob_O

I've been looking at wall tent stoves. The "Four Dogs" brand seems to be the best for the money

http://www.walltentshop.com/FourDogStoves.html
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Jeff922

These marine woodstoves are really cool if you just need to heat a small space.

http://www.marinestove.com/halibutinfo.htm

Shawn B

Jeff,  Those marine stoves are way  [cool]

Yeah the outdoor boilers can get real smokey >:(

Check these out quite spendy but the thermal mass, plus the oven and cooking options is quite attractive.

http://www.vermontwoodstove.com/bunbaker_specifications.htm

Jeff922

davestreck

These are nice too, if pricey:

http://www.shipmatestove.com/Results.cfm?category=6

I have an original Shipmate that came out of a customer's boat. They wanted a gas stove, and this was minutes away from being hauled to the dump:

I'm debating if I should put it in my cabin or save it for a boat project. I'm not really looking for a cook stove, and the firebox is pretty small. Plus, I burn softwood almost exclusively (mostly spruce) and I'm not sure this stove, which is primarily designed to burn coal, would do well in that situation. Any ideas?
--
Sláinte...

Dave

"Bíonn caora dhubh ar an tréad is gile"

Hi Road

There is a Vermont Casting Aspen for sale on Craigslist here in the Seattle area tonight.

Vermont Castings, Aspen model 1920 woodstove small green - $500 (Gig Harbor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-07-26, 12:47AM PDT
Reply to: sale-jpqvs-1863374019@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small green woodstove (almost new)
in storage, used only one year

cast iron, painted glossy forest green

Vermont Castings, Aspen model 1920

Paid $1,000, asking $500 firm

Just for the stove, no stove pipe etc.

Gig Harbor, Rick: 253-858-2280 9:00am – 9:00pm

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1863374019

Jeff922

Dave, I bet that stove will clean up real nice!  One of these stoves would be really cool in an RV for some winter camping, or even in an ice shanty.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Hi Road on July 27, 2010, 08:17:44 PM
There is a Vermont Casting Aspen for sale on Craigslist here in the Seattle area tonight.

Vermont Castings, Aspen model 1920 woodstove small green - $500 (Gig Harbor)

Date: 2010-07-26, 12:47AM PDT
Reply to: sale-jpqvs-1863374019@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Small green woodstove (almost new)
in storage, used only one year

cast iron, painted glossy forest green

Vermont Castings, Aspen model 1920

Paid $1,000, asking $500 firm

Just for the stove, no stove pipe etc.

Gig Harbor, Rick: 253-858-2280 9:00am – 9:00pm

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1863374019

Pretty decent price!  New when I bought was $880 and taxes put it over $1k -- so $500 is a steal....assuming you want a state approved stove.

zion-diy

I have used this box stove as main heat for 4 years now. picked it up on Craigslist for $35. [cool] You can see, I got her a little hot one cold night. :-[ no harm, no foul

Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

davestreck

Reading this thread prompted me to finally pull that old Shipmate out of the garage and fix it up. I decided to give it a try in the cabin, even though its a wood/coal cookstove and I burn softwoods in Nova Scotia. I think I'll burn dry spruce and whatever hardwood scraps I happen to have around, and keep a supply of coal at the cabin to add for extra heat.

I disassembled the stove (except the main castings and the firebrick), media blasted everything that would fit in the blast cabinet, and took a wire brush and a die-grinder to everything else. I used an air gun and a shop vac to thoroughly clean it out, and wiped it down with mineral spirits. Then I applied traditional stove polish and buffed it out with an old towel. I also replaced the old rusty hinge pins with silicon bronze round-head bolts. All that took about 4 hours or so. Next step is to fill all the joints with stove cement, and then fire it up to set the cement and the polish. Maybe then I'll try making biscuits. I won't have time to install it in the cabin this year, but figured I might as well have it ready for 2011.

Overall dimensions are 19" high, 22" wide, 16" deep":

Firebox and oven. The rod sticking out the left side is the grate shaker:

Next I want to design a cabinet/platform for it to sit on, possibly with wood or coal storage underneath. It would be nice to get the cooking surface up to the level of a standard countertop. Any ideas?

--
Sláinte...

Dave

OlJarhead

Nice work!

I'd love to have an old and small cook stove.  THe local shop has a Jotul but wants $900 for it....sheesh!

oblivionboyj

That is a beautiful job you did on that one!  [cool]

My brother gave me a stove to put in my house.
He said he was not going to use it, it came with the house.
It is a nice model, and only like 10 years old.
The dimensions are roughly 18" deep X 24" X 32" on 8" legs.
It is nice and has a nice flat top surface for using as a warmer at least.

For a hearth I am going to brace the floor at the corner of the kitchen/dining room to bear the weight of the hearth.
After that I plan on using a cinder block base (with the holes oriented together) and cover that with brick.
For the wall I am going to use brick with a gap behind it and cap off the sides and top, with vents at the bottom and top for airflow of course.
I plan to cover the open spaces with some sort of mesh/ screen, but that is TBD.

rick91351

Your lucky Ol Jarhead my wife is looking at
http://www.lehmans.com/store/Stoves___Cook_Stoves___Wood_Burning_Cook_Stoves___The_Waterford_Stanley_Wood_Cookstove___17120000?Args=

Well .... it will go in our house we build up a the ranch when we retire.  That still a couple years out if it gets done at all.  Right now I have plans at the engineer for about 1000 sq ft builders - guest home and thinking about a:

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Stoves___Cook_Stoves___Wood_Burning_Cook_Stoves___Baker_s_Oven_Wood_Heat_Cook_Stove___17120600?Args=

for it.  Has anyone seen or been around one?  We are on grid up there.  However thinking it would be very handy to have a wood cook stove just in case.  Also why not use the stove for cooking in the winter.   After all we will have it fired up anyway.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

davestreck

This guy is just down the road from me:

http://stovehospital.com/

Never been to his shop, but it looks like he's got quite a selection. I'd love one of those 1920's gas ranges.

Also check out:

://www.goodtimestove.com/
--
Sláinte...

Dave

OlJarhead

Quote from: rick91351 on July 29, 2010, 12:39:35 AM
Your lucky Ol Jarhead my wife is looking at
http://www.lehmans.com/store/Stoves___Cook_Stoves___Wood_Burning_Cook_Stoves___The_Waterford_Stanley_Wood_Cookstove___17120000?Args=

Well .... it will go in our house we build up a the ranch when we retire.  That still a couple years out if it gets done at all.  Right now I have plans at the engineer for about 1000 sq ft builders - guest home and thinking about a:

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Stoves___Cook_Stoves___Wood_Burning_Cook_Stoves___Baker_s_Oven_Wood_Heat_Cook_Stove___17120600?Args=

for it.  Has anyone seen or been around one?  We are on grid up there.  However thinking it would be very handy to have a wood cook stove just in case.  Also why not use the stove for cooking in the winter.   After all we will have it fired up anyway.

For one of those....ya I've seen them, have them bookmarked in fact and would love one.

But my bro told me to hold off because when he was young his mom cooked with one and in the summer it was horrible!  She couldn't wait for the electric stoves to come out.

Since we have Solar I can at least run a MW and hot plate if needed but I would like a small cook stove (wood) and a reflective oven to work with it if I needed it.

davestreck

First test-firing today:

I still have to chase a few small leaks with stove cement once it cools down, but I have to say I'm impressed with the way it works. Just burning small pine and cedar scraps got the oven up to 375 within 10 minutes or so:

This thing will definitely get my 12' x 16' cabin nice and toasty, even just burning softwood. I may bring up a few big boxes of hardwood scraps to keep at the cabin as well. The stove does not require a lot of wood to get up to temp. And it gets hot. Welding gloves are definitely a requirement.

One other thing I need to do is use valve grinding compound to get the burners to seat better on the cooktop. There is some smoke escaping from under them.
--
Sláinte...

Dave