Wood stove in a fireplace?

Started by 2zwudz, February 11, 2009, 09:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

I have seen pictures of wood stoves in what looks like old fireplaces and the stack appears to be going up the old chimney.  I really like the looks of this set up and I would like to get advice or opinions on building one like this. Please forgive me if this has been already discussed but I didn't know how to properly word it for a search but how are these wood stove stacks configured in a old chimney? 

Thanks
Mark

MountainDon

If the masonry is structurally sound you use a stainless steel single wall, flexible liner all the way up, seal the joint between the steel and the masonry and install a cap.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

They are often called fireplace insert stoves and have the stove pipe exiting out the back to fit into the fireplace.  Sometimes there is a cover for the fireplace opening also to seal it off with the wood stove pipe attachment on it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cfabien

Yep the fireplace inserts are designed to be set in an old fireplace. Modern code requires a new stainless liner up to the top of the chimney but they used to be installed without these. Typically they have a blower to pull air around the firebox to get more heat transfer.

If you have a large fireplace you can also install a normal wood stove into the opening in a similar manner. I have done this before and it looks nice, but I was dissapointed at how little heat I got into the room. I think the masonry around the stove acted as a big heat sink. Putting a small fan blowing on the stove did help some.

Squirl

I have also seen designs to brick up the old fireplace, extend the area out in front of it and punch a whole further up the wall to run the flue.  Seems like a lot of extra work, but the stove is placed further into the room and is more efficient with heat.  Most fireplaces are built with the back side as an outside wall, so you are always losing the heat from that area to the outside wall.

cordwood

I like to run as much of the pipe as I can inside the house to get the heat from the pipe. Plus I don't like horizontal runs in the pipe.
Bricking in the front and running the pipe in front all the way out the roof would be my plan.
Running the pipe up the old chimney can be a real pain if it has a built in ledge type dampner. The steel prefab dampners can be hard to get out too as well as leaving a big hole for your heat to go out. d*
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

NELSELGNE

I covered the fireplace opening with a sheet of aluminum and cut a 6" hole for the stovepipe. I then put a wood/coal stove with the  stovepipe slipped into the metal fireplace cover.  I burned wood and coal with this system for seven-years, until I bought another house.