20x32 A frame cabin Central KY

Started by EaglesSJ, July 23, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn B

Nice reloading shed and setup. You might want to heat the place a little to keep moisture out of your powder and guns rust free. Solar set up looks good too. Do you plan on installing the Matte in the  cabin someday?
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

ben2go

EaglesSJ

Guns arent stored at that location, I have a much more secure setup for them. I just have that one 870 there just in case. The past few days I have been spreading pitch on the roof and doing some more fencing to give our horses more room to roam. Got a 1 3/4 or so acre lot fenced off now instead of the small 100'x100' lot that they were in the past 3 weeks. They were thrilled to be in a bigger area. They ran and ran and bucked and had a good ol time! Anyways here are some more pics of the shed/mini barn and the horses and such.

astidham

Looks Great !!!
where is your cabin in contrast to the Barn?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

EaglesSJ

Sassy

Really looks Kentuckyfied!  Nice  :)  Pretty horses - amazing how they like it when they get a little more room - even our cows run & jump around. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

astidham

That's a good setup.
my cabin setup is similar, the cabin from the front gate is ~260 feet.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Barry Broome

Very nice place. I've enjoyed following this thread. You guys are hard workers!!!
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

EaglesSJ

Got the new inverter today! Charged my 24v 1000ah battery bank from 68% to full in just 2.5 hrs! Much better than the 9-10 hrs it was taking with the alternator set up. I have nothing but good things to say about aten solar. They have amazing customer service and outstanding prices on all equipment. Very friendly people who were very helpful through all of this. Now I just need to get a breaker for the inverter cable and Ill be set!

Also started building Colton's tree house yesterday so pics of that will follow shortly.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

EaglesSJ

Colton and I working on his tree house.

Also here is a pic of the panel rack that I came up with after much debate. A home fabbed metal rack and pole that could support this many panels was gonna run me about 500 in materials plus alot of labor. This treated lumber rack came out to about $90 and a couple hours work. I still have to add some x-bracing on all four sides but it was supposed to be very sunny tomorrow and I was anxious to see what they would do! I have each panel bolted to the 2x6 plates in all four corners. I am not satisfied with it though and Im looking for more ways to secure them.

Turkeyhunter

i read all they pages of this build tonight---congrats on cabin and farm........such a great place for your son to grow up.........A++++++++ on the build---

OkieJohn2

Just curious about your melted Craftsman 3/8 inch ratchet, does the lifetime warranty cover that, always worth a try.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

EaglesSJ

Im sure it will be covered. I have replaced several tools with them in the past with no problems.

freezengirl

I just read through all of the comments and pictures of your project, very impressive. I couldn't help but think that with the drive, determination and work ethic you and your wife have shown and the obvious love in your family that you are rich in all the ways that count. I hope you your wife and young Colton continue to be blessed.

EaglesSJ

Just ordered 3 more panels today. That should put us up to a 1260w array. We use about 2-4kw depending on the day so hopefully this will be all we need. That puts us having about $10,700 in our system.

umtallguy

how much did the house end up costing?

EaglesSJ

EaglesSJ

Installed the last 3 panels today. Here are the pics. We now have a 1260 watt system.

And a pic from the upper corner of our property looking down at the panels and the shed and garden.

bayview

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Zona

Any plans to plant more trees along the property line/ along the road?  I think that would ad a nice touch, as well as a bit more privacy.
I've got two guns, one for each of ya.

grandmasplayhouse

Just read your story. Lovely family and lucky little boy! It's nice to see people with such good work ethics.
With a little work my grandchildren will grow up with a love of nature and a feel for a life without indoor plumbing.(If only for a short weekend) What fun to visit Grandmas Playhouse

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Zona on April 13, 2011, 04:54:57 PM
Any plans to plant more trees along the property line/ along the road?  I think that would ad a nice touch, as well as a bit more privacy.

Were gonna buy a 100 plant bundle of white pines and go to work :)

rhelm

Just wanted to say that I loved following your progress on this board.  It has been very inspiring.  Thanks for sharing your story!

One question though, did karma ever catch up to your aunt?   ;)