loft photos

Started by dan614, December 26, 2005, 07:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan614

Can anyone post interior photos of their second floors/lofts. Particularly the 1 1/2 story. Can you also tell us if you have knee walls etc. There are many great pictures of the construction phase but I would like to see the final product to really get the idea of the size of the room (with furniture in it) in the completed 1 1/2.  
Happy New Year! Spring and unfrozen ground is only ....months away!

Brady

Dan,

I have not finished the loft area yet, so don't really know how it will feel up there with furniture and everything else.  But it doesn't feel small at all, I thing that going with the half walls really makes it seem bigger.  And with the three skylights running across the length, open it up some more as well.

The larger one I plan to use as my bedroom and is 15x11 feet.  The other is 15x7.5 feet and might be used as a small guest bedroom or study, don't really know yet.  The side walls are 4 feet high and with the 12/12 pitch of the roof, it goes up to around 11 feet to the bottom of the main beam running the length of the house.  Have a ceiling fan in the bigger area, and with the head room, does not feel too low.  

I plan putting in built in closet/drawers/desk along the side in each room that should use the space better than using dresser, etc.  

Some photos for you to see the space.  It was kind of hard to actually get a decent photo, but hope they help.  

Brady

dan614

Thanks, that does help. Did you do a four foot knee wall or balloon framing?

Brady

just a four foot knee wall.  any ideas on finishing off the top of the knee walls?

dan614

most people would do a stained piece of wood. You have chosen colors though and should paint whatever you put up. 1/6 router it and paint it.

fishstix

Brady great pix.  Thank you and that Wood Floor looks great too.

Jimmy_Cason

Quotejust a four foot knee wall.  any ideas on finishing off the top of the knee walls?

These pics are amazing.
I like the night time pics. It gives it that great "Painter of light" Thomas Kinkade cottage effect.      

To cap off the knee wall near the stairs, a narrow, full length planter box with Faux greenery would look amazing in that area.

Is that tongue and groove 2x4s on the flooring upstairs?
What was the method you used to secure the floor?
Did you learn anything while installing it?

ailsaek

I love the bright colors in the first picture.  Is that a floor cloth, painted onto the floor, how did you do that?

Brady

The floor is tounge and groove 2x6.  I just nailed it a couple of times at each beam and used plenty of glue.  Unfortunately, the fit with the tounge and groove was not a good tight fit.  I think that if it had been, the floor would be a bit stronger.  It does seem a bit "springy".  

Maybe going with two layers of one by material with one layer running north to south and the other east to west would be better?  And with the way the beams run, I had to run my floor the in short direction making the sanding operation a PITA.  Using two layers would make sanding much easier because you could run the top layer in the same direction as the beams.  Live and learn!

As far as the "faux greenery", ouch!  I am a horticulturist by training and it would kill me!  Just think of what others would say.  I could never look myself in the mirror again!   And don't even get me started on Thomas Kinkade, I could fill volumes with a diatribe!

For finishing the half walls in the loft, I am thinking of using 1x8's (a 1x6 just seems too narrow when I put a piece up) with a 1x2 on either side against the wall and painting it white.  In fact, I plan on painting all the trim and baseboards white just to make it simple, thinking that I have enough color in the house to satiate even me.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and compliments.

Brady

Brady

Ailsa,

It would be great for a floor cloth!  Maybe I should try it.  

It is actually a quilt that I am working on.   The loft was the only clean floor that I had to try laying it out to see how I liked it and see what needs to be changed or rearranged.  When not working on my home, I enjoy making quilts.  They tend to not be like grammy's.  Guess you could say that I am not your typical male, but I enjoy it as it is creative outlet.  

Brady

Daddymem

QuoteThe floor is tounge and groove 2x6.  I just nailed it a couple of times at each beam and used plenty of glue.  Unfortunately, the fit with the tounge and groove was not a good tight fit.  I think that if it had been, the floor would be a bit stronger.  It does seem a bit "springy".  

The FirstDay people use 2x6 T&G decking as well.  They send a bowrench on the trucks now, according to testimonials, this is a great tool to pull T&G together tightly. Amazon sells them, here is an action shot:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002YOPZA.01-A3LDAX1Z8QDFC._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg