20x45 1 1/2 Story Home-TX

Started by drbuilder, October 18, 2012, 08:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbuilder

Austin,

My decisions have been influenced by my understanding of sound building practices, my skills and comfort levels, and costs (in that order).  I did not initially choose the full 2 story because I wanted a less challenging project.   While I wanted to build the 1 ½ story balloon framed, I was always concerned about having to build a 12/12 roof, and gusseted rafter ties (I did not want to order trusses), just to get half the headroom and living space that I wanted.  After advice from Don P, I realized that a platform framed 1 ½ story with 6ft side walls, would give me what I wanted: more space, lower pitched roof, and standard rafter ties.  I realized that I could have gone to the full 2 story making the walls taller, rafter ties longer, weight heavier, cost higher, etc.   To accommodate the extra weight and height, I would have had to add more piers or even considered the perimeter block foundation.  Above all, I believe I have the best of both designs.  The overall size of the house gives us more than enough living space, and storage and attic space.

dablack

Outstanding explanation.  I appreciate you explaining your thought process.

thanks
Austin

UK4X4

I did my upstairs with a 6ft side wall used trusses...........turned out so awsome we moved the main living quarters upstairs !

drbuilder

UK4X4, my point exactly! We were also pleasantly surprised with the space available with 6ft side walls.

drbuilder

An update:

After a much needed rest I got back to work, and a lot of work it was!  Since my last post in 2013,  I completed a long list of things that included adding a 14x22 addition off the back of the home, installed more windows, boxed in the eaves, and nailed up the wood siding.  We are now in the process of enclosing the front porch.  Check out the pics below.

dablack

Looks really sharp.  Can't wait to see it finished.

What made you decide to enclose the front porch?

drbuilder

Thanks Austin for the kind words.  We are very close to moving in. Below are the reasons for the enclosed porch in the order of importance: 

1) My beautiful wife wanted it 
2) Texas-size mosquitoes
3) Texas' blistering heat
4) More living space

drbuilder

Everything is moving along nicely. Framing is complete.

dablack

Looks great.  I know you are ready to move to the next phase.  Are you doing to be doing plumbing next? 

drbuilder

Austin,

I actually completed the plumbing, and water a few months ago. I will post a picture or two regarding it later.   I am currently working on the electricity and will have it  inspected in the next few weeks. My septic will be installed this weekend.  So things are really moving along.

dablack

Thats great!  Well you are close to sheetrock then.  Are you going to have it done or DIY?  What about flooring?  We need to SEE whats going on!

drbuilder

Our house is becoming a home.  The septic is now installed and our master bedroom and bath is mostly complete.  So we moved in a few weeks ago.  I am now caulking and painting the house.  I have done and will do all of the work myself (except the septic, of course).  I have learned along this journey to take my time and invest in the right tools when working alone.  For example, I purchased a drywall lift that makes drywalling very easy for one person.  Attached are a couple pics of the DWV installation. I found it to be more challenging than electricity given the infinite design possibilities, though it is a lot less dangerous.  The bad news is that the tax man found us!

dablack

Nice work.  I know you are glad to be in there. 

Is it an aerobic septic system?

So what is left to complete?  Paint?

Also, whats going on with that fence?  Do you have animals?

Austin

drbuilder

Quote from: dablack on June 13, 2014, 07:36:10 AM

1) Is it an aerobic septic system?

2) So what is left to complete?  Paint?

3) Also, whats going on with that fence?  Do you have animals?

1) Yes
2) All I have left to do on the outside are painting, window trimming, and skirting.
3) Just keeping out unwanted animals.

drbuilder

Update:

The skirting is complete.  I used 1/2 inch exterior plywood supported every 4 feet. Vents were also added on all four sides.  I am still completing the painting.  Above all, we love the new look. 

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford