Cabin Related Xmas gifts NE1?

Started by rayN(Guest), December 15, 2005, 01:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayN(Guest)

One of my sons (age 11) ask what I want for christmas,  and if there was anything specifically for the little house we are making.  It is now a tar-paper shack, and the only thing I could think of was a big box of roofing nails.

I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea for a suggestion for him,  maybe a less expensive handtool that normal DIY's don't have,  but something I'll use again (and he'll see me use).

Thanks

tjm73

What about soemthing you can pass back to him to keep and use to help you work on the house.  That way he gets a good tool of his own, some experience building something and some quality time working and learning with Dad.

Ultimately you're really giving him something that can't have a monitary value put on it and he'll feel as if he is giving you a gift, which he is, in the form of time with your son building your house together.

dorothyinak

How about one one those 5 in 1 tools (scraper, cat's paw, crowbar....)..many uses so you'll have it out a lot.

Or some files for a chainsaw...

Bits for a drill (I know I always lose the best ones out of my set).  HD and Lowes have several combinations of sets at all price levels.

Or, something use can use to organize bits, harware, nails etc...kind of like a tackle box.  Also lots of kinds at different prices.

I wish everyone on my list wanted tools!

JRR

I think I will never own too many measuring tapes.

Jimmy_Cason

[highlight]My 11 year old put down a video game and played with my drill/driver for hours.[/highlight]

Amanda_931

I'd take a door-hanging party!

Last year and this, a lot of people are getting flashlights from me.

Or books.

peg_688

Ray not knowing  your work habbits , I'll shoot from the hip .

A mutlpy plex  elec. outlet  with at least six plug in spots . Most DTYer probaly don't have enought extention cords if they do MTL they are very long cords 100' MTL . I carry a couple of 50' cords and three or four 25' cords . I run the 50' to a six way plug in then use the 25' ones to get around .

I tend to put the six way either under or near the chopsaw then I can plug in the tablesaw direct to the six way , and use the "shop area " to feed off of .

As you move on to siding / soffits you'll need / want a few tools plugged in all the time so your not having to plug in , unplug tools .

So a six way plug strip and a few 25' cords , once you get use to that system , setup rollum out in the AM , rollum up/ store at the end of your weekend / day of work . A big time saver over the course of the project , your kid will see ya useum , and you'll enjoy the work more as you'll not be constantly plugging / re plugging in tools .

I do have one 10 ga  , 100' cord for that "long run to power "that happens once every 2 or 3 years . It will out last me , if it doesn't get stolen . Its' a PITB to roll up so tends to get left out once rolled out for longer periods of time .
 Merry Christmas , PEG    

Amanda_931

Seems like I got a smallish (13 amp) circular saw because somebody looked it up and decided that even with big (10 ga, IIRC) extension cords the bigger (more amps better bearings, etc) saws were not recommended for the run down the hill through the woods.

No idea if I really needed to do that.   Seems like the label on the wire we eventually buried  (also 10 gauge?) said that a 15 amp load was OK.

kenhill(Guest)

I received a cordless drill holster and a nail apron that both of my boys use exclusively!

Harry51(Guest)

QuoteSeems like I got a smallish (13 amp) circular saw because somebody looked it up and decided that even with big (10 ga, IIRC) extension cords the bigger (more amps better bearings, etc) saws were not recommended for the run down the hill through the woods.

No idea if I really needed to do that.   Seems like the label on the wire we eventually buried  (also 10 gauge?) said that a 15 amp load was OK.

Amanda, according to a very useful little book called Pocket Ref, by Thomas J. Glover, #10 wire will carry 15 amps for about 75', and 13 amps for about 90', between the power source and the load.  The idea is to limit the voltage drop across the wire to about 2%. The smaller the wire, or the longer the wire, the more resistance to the flow of current it imposes. Too much resistance starves the tool at the load end of the wire for power, reducing performance and longevity. It can also cause the wire to heat up, creating even more resistance, and even maybe damaging the wire itself if not properly fused. The book has the resistance tables for the various wire and cable sizes, and all the common electrical formulas with examples. It also has lots of info on all sorts of construction related subjects like beams, joists and rafters, concrete, fasteners, plumbing and water, and just about anything else.

All that said, I have a friend whose father, many years ago, buried a piece of #10 romex about 300' long to supply power to their farm workshop. They've used it to this day, operating a metal lathe with about a 3HP motor (10 amps+ @ 220 volts), a stick arc welder, table saw, etc., etc., without any apparent problem! Go figure...........

Harry51

Amanda_931

Ah.  I know we had 100 ft of extension cord.   But that would mean that the 13 amp wasn't much of an improvement.

peg_688

[

I do have one 10 ga  , 100' cord for that "long run to power "that happens once every 2 or 3 years . It will out last me , if it doesn't get stolen . Its' a PITB to roll up so tends to get left out once rolled out for longer periods of time .
 Merry Christmas , PEG    [/quote]

I'll look tomorrow this cord is big and heavy maybe it's a #6 ga. wire , it's big it's heavy and I don't use it often but it will run lots of tools / carry a lot of load to a remote area . And the kid can't afford it , it cost like $90.00 10 years ago , he asked for kid affordable tools , remember the org , post . PEG

peg_688

Here again is apples to oranges , I am talking extention cords , 120 / 110. To run hand tools .
[highlight]The Quantum leap to buried power lines took place  :o  [/highlight]

The intention of this post/ thread is a kid buying Dad a Christmas gift not powering up the cabin .

Stay on task gang! PEG

glenn-k

At ease, PEG  -Permission granted to speak freely. :)

Many times wandering around a little brings up other useful information.  We'll even let you do it --- and try to stop me. ;D

I realize you have good intentions though.

peg_688

QuoteAt ease, PEG  -Permission granted to speak freely. :)

Many times wandering around a little brings up other useful information.  We'll even let you do it --- and try to stop me. ;D

I realize you have good intentions though.

Roger ease  :-[   I do get spun up ready"Alert 5"   pretty ease :-[ Just my training , and " Can do attitude! "

All well intended  :)PEG

glenn-k

We appreciate all the skills and sharing of ideas you and everyone else brings to the forum.  Thanks. :)

RayN(Guest)

Thanks for all the suggestions.  We picked out a smallish tool belt,  something I normally wouldn't buy (I'd buy tools instead), but something that will be very nice when working outside on a structure.

Ray

Amanda_931

I came across a very odd book the other day.  Possibly better for giving to the kids so that they can build their own furniture.

Some of the projects look very nice indeed, some make board and concrete block bookcases look GOOD.  A little more once its built, it's built to stay than the old Nomadic Furniture books.  But on that idea.  Most everything could be made with a jig saw and a drill, screwdrivers, a crescent wrench, a pencil or three and some things to measure with.

Coffee table made out of a pallet--at one stage I think he suggests the useder the better--with pipe legs and a sheet of acrylic top that's only on the long-ways pieces of the pallet.  Except for the legs, it looks better than it sounds.  I think.  But then it sounds pretty ghastly.  This is one of the pieces on the cover.

Called Turf  It's your space, build what you want by a twenty-something named Anthony Garay.  "Local" bookstore had it.  (A bit less than a hundred miles round trip.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558707611/qid=1134949107/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-5033885-9976111?n=507846&s=books&v=glance