donations

Started by johnecash, February 07, 2013, 12:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnecash

content deleted by MountainDon
see note in next meg

MountainDon

The post I removed was to caution us to be careful about which charities we donate money to. Unfortunately much if not all of the "facts" cited were untrue or at best distorted. Certainly some charities are scams or near scams, many make better use of donated funds than some. We should be careful. We should also not spread false information. The content has been floating around the internet since 2005.

I suggest strongly that people avail themselves of the many internet resources available whenever they receive any email that contains a list of "facts" that are supposed to illustrate how corrupt or unfair or dangerous something is. Maybe some folks have a better developed sense of skepticism than many others. I get a more or less regular stream of "alerts" from a variety of friends and acquaintances. I use Google as lot. Copy the subject or a phrase and Google. It took less time to find information that the post was false than it took to write this note. Let's all do our part to kill or limit the spread of junk email falsehoods.

Here's a link to Snopes.com regarding the subject matter from this topic.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

Thanks
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Note: You can also use Google to find information on the percentage of funds received that charities use for the intended cause. Lots of real information is available.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

My wife has a lot of charities she supports and has learned to use Charity Navigator - http://www.charitynavigator.org/

You can search and find a lot of information about a charity including what percentage of collected funds is spent on fund raising (rather than the program they are supporting). See this link for example: Top 10 Charities Overpaying their For-Profit Fundraisers

If you register (free), you canpost reviews and access charity histories and other information.

This site will not have all the little local non-profits that might be doing good work in a specific area.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

bayview

Thanks again . . .   For your diligence to keep this forum ad-scam free!
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

firefox

I too second the above!
You really make this forum a great place to visit!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

rick91351

[waiting] So my 501(c3) is not going to fly on here?  The one I started so anyone that has any unwanted guns, brass, powder, primers..........  Just send them to ___________ and I'll take care of them.   ;D  Oh by the way thanks Don you do a great job!!

:D  Rick
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.