Mail order chicks

Started by Don_P, February 05, 2013, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

It was time to restock the coop and with my wife's new job as manager of the local farmers market we decided to boost the flock a bit. We ordered 25 Rhode Island Reds. While we waited the coop got a good cleaning and fresh coat of paint inside. Meanwhile a friends chicks arrived and he had a quiet box... someone had dropped the ball en route and they all died. Great, ours were due in 2 weeks. Monday came and went with no chicks, not too bad, they could survive another night, but that was all. This morning came and they weren't at our little PO. Our postmistress started backtracking, found them in Roanoke and got them on an express to a town about 45 minutes away. She called back to say she still heard them chirping in the background. We met the truck at about 2 and everyone was alive but 2 were already in deep trouble. Everyone else has perked back up and the two are still with us. There are good folks in the world.

Redoverfarm

Glad you were the lucky one.  If it would have been a big city PO your's would have been quiet too.  But it is getting worse with mail now days.  Hardy any local post marks.  Sending even the local mail off to have it sorted and then back to the same town.  But they say they are saving money.   ???

ChuckinVa

Several years ago I ordered some and they were a day late arriving. The postmistress called me on the morning that they were supposed to arrive and told me they were not there but if they came later in the day she would drive them out to the house if some one was going to be home. I told her no one would be there. On the second day she called me and said everyone there was really excited that my "Peeps" had arrived and they were making lot's of noise. I went and picked them up. I think we lost only one. I sometimes wish we could slow down long enough to raise some more. It is hard to be able to go away for a week end or on vacation. Folks don't help each other out much around here. I tried getting neighbors kids to take care of them when we had them but we always lost some when we were away to foxes or to dogs. Just hard to keep them safe so I just quit keeping them. My wife said the other day she missed the fresh eggs but didn't miss the work. Funny thing is, I can't remember her getting up to let them out in the mornings or putting them up at night or watering them in the winter when their water was frozen but then my memory isn't that good....
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

MushCreek

Imagine my disappointment to find out that this thread wasn't about a wife from Russia....... d*
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

I thought about the title "chicks by mail" :)
We lost the 2 overnight, one more is having a tough time but the rest look like they'll make it. The setbacks start the day you begin. I'll admit to missing the fresh eggs because Michelle does do the majority of the work. We tried to tend our neighbors flock when they had to rush out of town. We lost one a day, everybody loves chicken and they sure know it when the master is away. We put our last 2 social security hens in the freezer before Christmas so we could visit more. I've thought about a few pigs but it does tie you down... not that the excuse particularly bothers me :D
You're right John, these girls came into Charlotte then went by, up to Roanoke, then back down to us. They must have missed a connection somewhere and then they missed the early truck that hits the local po's, it would have left them in Roanoke all day and overnight. 

As we were driving home we decided the driver leaving the hatchery must be wearing really good earmuffs. 

Squirl

That is wonderful.  Thanks for the picture. 

So the meat thermometer in with the chicks.......... [shocked]

I was always a little paranoid about ordering them through the mail for these reasons.  I built an incubator and hatched my own through fertile eggs.  It worked ok.  It probably cost the same as just ordering them with a ton more work.  I just know with my luck that I would be the one to end up with a dead box.

I currently can't deal with being tied up taking care of them either.  I'm lucky if mine get to be fryers, I've never gotten to a layer.

I thought the same thing about the title  ;).  I thought with Glenn's recent trip to southeast asia, that things with the forum took a different turn.  Russians work too.  To each his own.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Don_P on February 06, 2013, 10:19:00 AM
I thought about the title "chicks by mail" :)
We lost the 2 overnight, one more is having a tough time but the rest look like they'll make it. The setbacks start the day you begin. I'll admit to missing the fresh eggs because Michelle does do the majority of the work. We tried to tend our neighbors flock when they had to rush out of town. We lost one a day, everybody loves chicken and they sure know it when the master is away. We put our last 2 social security hens in the freezer before Christmas so we could visit more. I've thought about a few pigs but it does tie you down... not that the excuse particularly bothers me :D
You're right John, these girls came into Charlotte then went by, up to Roanoke, then back down to us. They must have missed a connection somewhere and then they missed the early truck that hits the local po's, it would have left them in Roanoke all day and overnight. 

As we were driving home we decided the driver leaving the hatchery must be wearing really good earmuffs.

Don that was the same with us the first couple of years.  Now we have a feeder and nibbler so going away is not a real problem. Just fill it up or at least the amount that they eat while you are gone and turn the water hose or water line on.  I haven't got to running the water line yet so in the interm I have the nibbler attached to a 300 gal water tank.  They come and go as they please of course they do miss the daily slop or left overs while you are gone. 

Don_P

The meat thermometer... just sort of acclimating them. The undertaker has a bad habit of sneaking up behind you with an outstreched tape measure, "just checking"  ;D
This was our first mail order flock. The last were from a neighbor down the road, they were pretty buff orps but they really weren't good layers. We had a mixed flock from the feed store before that. The Rhody in that batch was the best of them although crafty, "Hendini". But she'd usually come running to meet the scratch truck. Anyway that prompted the mail order of a straight run of them. It could be interesting, it's always a learning experience. I can save anyone reading one learning experience, don't keep the alpha rooster. After an altercation Michelle came to me with a butcherknife in her hand telling me that rooster had to die. We've lost 3 of these, I think the rest are good to go. Then it's the racoons and hawks, there were 5 redtails overhead today when I was cleaning up from that wet snow. If I'm going to be around the homestead more it does make sense to do something like that John.

I'll put in a plug if any of you have friends in NW NC-SW VA. We've been making a website for the market;
independencefarmersmarket.org

Squirl

Can you sex them yet?  Do you know the m/f breakdown of the straightrun order?

Don_P

You're right... straight run is unsexed, this is all hens... my little pea isn't coming up with the correct term. Our last batch was supposedly sexed but nobody told the 3 roosters. It doesn't bother me too bad, we cull them out first for the freezer, but we do want a good batch of layers this time. Everyone is doing good today, hopefully they'll survive the weekend batching it with me. A long weekend with just me and 22 hot chicks. Sounds like a blues song  :D.

Redoverfarm

NM_Shooter

We are pretty lucky... the feed stores here sell chicks so we can pick them out.  We had a hen get broody last year and we let her raise a clutch.  That worked pretty well, as we kept her and the chicks in a small corral that the hen could hop out of but the chicks could not.  That let the rest of the flock get used to them prior to integration, and the hen watched out for them.  I have never liked trying to introduce my new brood to the flock.  Never know quite how that is going to go. 

I like Rhode Island Reds.  I like Buff Orpingtons too.... they are gentle birds, lay well, and tolerate the cold pretty well too. 

Those Russian chicks always look better in the catalog than they do when they get off the plane.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Don_P

I did like the personality of the buffs, I don't think I clipped a single wing. These were late to start and early to finish and never layed reliably. I've heard good things about them and it's good to hear more. These were from a small local farmer and it could be the genetics of his flock weren't that good. Lost another one tonight, not sure why.

John I heard more from the river today. The flow after that rain last week increased tenfold in 12 hours, their flashpanels at the tops of the 2 dams didn't blow out, no wonder they were worried.

ChuckinVa

I have raised buffs and they are a good dual purpose bird and I like their gentle disposition. They also will go broody and raise a clutch and are good moms. You can be around the roosters without fear of being attacked. I would never turn my back on a RIR rooster.
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Huge29

Quote from: MushCreek on February 06, 2013, 06:28:40 AM
Imagine my disappointment to find out that this thread wasn't about a wife from Russia....... d*
Join the club!

frazoo

I've raised Auracana's and RIR's. The Auracana's were good foragers and we didn't have a tick on the place for years, but they were poor cold-weather layers. RIR's have done an excellent job for us. A friend recently told me about something he called a 'sex link" (??). I've never heard of them but he says they are prolific layers. I might give them a try as our feed store will have them in March.

Nothing beats the taste of a fresh egg! Well, maybe fresh sausage. Or bacon and home made biscuits and...,
...use a bigger hammer

Don_P

Or for Valentines dinner tonight, fresh ribeyes  ;D
We had paid in blueberries in advance last summer and took delivery yesterday. One of those trades where both parties think they are getting the sweet end of the deal  [cool].
The chicks are all doing well and have about doubled in size.

The next big adventure, I've been building beehives, http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/ and taking a class in beekeeping. I've known the instructor for a few years, his dad kept bees till he was 92. Last year he harvested $750 worth of honey from one hive.

rick91351

Don I think you will love bee keeping...........

For those that are not in to build it yourself beekeeping.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/index.php?gclid=CK-Jv66xt7UCFYtaMgodlkkA0Q

I started last summer with one hive for the orchard that my buddy lent me.  We ended up leaving them up there until late fall.  He coached me all summer and fall.  It was very interesting and educational.  I got a huge dose of self confidence working them and think I can do it myself this year.  But he is a phone call away  Most the time we worked his hives last year no vials, no gloves.    He uses a real gentile bee strain from around Sacramento.  That is what he is using all the time now I am followings suit.  Two things you do really need a good smoker and a hive tool.     

This year I have an order in for four starter hives and he ordered me enough bees to get started.  I am so looking forward to it. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

The bee hives around here live a rough life with the bears. Once they find them they will keep returning.  The state will pay for any damage to the supers but not to the loss of honey or the bees.

Don_P

Ahh, mellow sacramento bees, they're self smoking aren't they  ::) ;D

Rick you're kind of busting my new business venture. When i found out a hive cost ~$170 and didn't have a stick of white pine in it over 2'... now I can do this.

Did you know there are 7 setups and operations to make just the top frame bar on one of the honeycomb frames... and there are 30 in the hive, ah well day 3 and I've made ~$80 worth of frames. Another get rich quick scheme dashed d*

This is a good bee supply in this region, they're down in apple country NC... we almost bought land in the brushies;
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/

Our teacher lives in an area most AT hikers remember, Bear Tree. He showed us his elevated stands inside of a "he really shouldn't be doing that" series of strands. There's another beekeeper in the area that has is hives 20' up on phone poles, sort of like the billboard work level with hives up on that. (I still like the thought of being able to bravely run away if I pith them off). I've been wondering about a kind of closet for them upstairs at one gable end of the barn, sealed and secure from inside, up high, and overlooking the garden.

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 14, 2013, 11:02:05 PM
The bee hives around here live a rough life with the bears. Once they find them they will keep returning.  The state will pay for any damage to the supers but not to the loss of honey or the bees.

That is a lot of money tied up.  Hives and bees and then loose the whole honey crop..............

Skunks, raccoons, yellow-jackets and wasps will also kill hives.  Then if that is not bad enough these little tiny beetles not Beatles........ 

We had that hive where if Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo showed up I and the dogs would have known it.  I then would have sent Ellen out to investigate.  Me and the dogs would have backed her up from the window.   ;D  Go on Babe I got your back....... :D  Rick
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

Quote from: Don_P on February 14, 2013, 11:43:34 PM
Ahh, mellow sacramento bees, they're self smoking aren't they  ::) ;D

This is a good bee supply in this region, they're down in apple country NC... we almost bought land in the brushies;
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/

Our teacher lives in an area most AT hikers remember, Bear Tree. He showed us his elevated stands inside of a "he really shouldn't be doing that" series of strands. There's another beekeeper in the area that has is hives 20' up on phone poles, sort of like the billboard work level with hives up on that. (I still like the thought of being able to bravely run away if I pith them off). I've been wondering about a kind of closet for them upstairs at one gable end of the barn, sealed and secure from inside, up high, and overlooking the garden.

My buddy Mark says they claim they tried it but never inhaled.  I did manage to up set them one time last year.  That was when I was checking them by myself for then fist time.  I can assure you in attack mode they are just as aggressive and as hot and those racy Italian models.  Okay you make me look they are Carniolan honey bees

http://www.beekeepingstarterkit.com/page/1317490   

roadtripray

I was wanting to order baby chicks by mail, but since I am still living off-grid I couldn't run a brooder to keep them warm until they feathered.  So I went to a livestock auction in nearby Catawba, SC and purchased three chickens.  I am honestly not sure, but I think I have two roosters and a hen.  My 7-year old daughter went with me and she liked the looks of these, and I think they may be leghorns which have an excellent reputation as layers.

I want them mainly for eggs, yet I wanted to purchase a group that included at least one rooster so that the eggs will be fertilized so we can increase our flock.  They are beautiful birds, and pretty quiet, but I think once they mature the roosters (assuming the two are roosters) will be rather boisterous.

Here's a picture of my daughter and the new chickens (please excuse the half-dismantled mobile home in background -- the property is a work-in-progress). 

Peace,
Ray

Don_P

Those are a handsome bird. At that size the boys ought to be crowing and giving you that "you talking to me?" head weave  ;D. I had called our 3 white birds leghorns a couple of batches ago, I showed yours to Michelle and said your's were sure prettier than ours. She said somthing to the effect "that's cause those were Wyandotts dummy"

Our box runneth over, we had to put the rhodies in 2 boxes, they're growing fast. We rigged lamps in the coop but its still risky, we'll try to keep them up here a litle longer. It's getting a little noisy, teenagers can party all night long.

One of the market ladies put together this excellent list of livestock links;
http://www.independencefarmersmarket.org/images/PasturedPerfection.pdf

Good call on keeping the chicks up here, I was sorely tempted today when it hit 50, it just started dumping buckets of ice.

My dish and reciever 500' above the house up on our mountain made contact with the wireless tower on the mountain 7 miles away today. Before it denied me I was running 30x faster than dialup. A few more kinks to work out and we might be able to finally leave the pony express behind  [cool].