Expanded Metal / Mesh for Trailer Deck

Started by MountainDon, September 06, 2012, 11:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Does anyone know the gauge used for small trailer floors, like would be used for an ATV hauler?  And crossmember OC spacing? I'm thinking the spacing is probably 24" more or less as a norm.   9, 10 or 11 gauge metal ???  Thinking 9?

FYI
11  =  0.1196"
10  =  0.1345"
9    =  0.1495"
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

flyingvan

The trailer I had for desert trips B.C. (Before Children) had a 7 gauge floor 24" O.C....So out of the coices you listed 9 would be closest.  I never had a weld break loose.  I loved the expanded steel----you could put a bungee cord anywhere and san would just fall right through
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Huge29

I made my charcoal basket on my smoker with 9.  I am pretty certain it is the same as what my neighbor has for his trailer.  24" seems like a lot, but depends what would be loaded on, for a UTV 24" seems like a lot as you have about 300 lbs on each wheel with a driver in it.  I think it would hold just fine, but it would bend down significantly.  I really like the expanded for trailers, not only does not have to be stained or replaced like wood due to rot, but sand, mud, snow, ice all just fall right on through and it gives really good traction.  I had not even thought about the ability to attach the bungies use. 

Woodsrule

I had the same setup as flying van on my trailer and I hauled many  cords of wood and never had a problem with bowing.

glenn kangiser

I just used 9 with 1" pull width on a platform for my customer.  24" we find to be about the max unsupported without excessive deflection.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Thanks all. Next step is to see what my local steel dealer has in stock. I'll aim for something in the 7, 8 or 9 gauge and then base the support spacings on that. I bet this stuff uses a lot of paint if it is sprayed. Any thoughts on the best way and best paint to use?  I have an almost full quart of a tan color, that would be suitable, that is made especially for metal spraying. Not a rust paint but a thin type for spraying metal doors.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

flyingvan

Find what you love and let it kill you.

glenn kangiser

Powder Coating can be done to most metal things but expensive and in my opinion far too easily damaged and hard to repair to make it look good.

The best way I have found to paint expanded metal, catwalks etc. including steel tubing and pipe handrails as we just made is a mini-roller.  I like to get the 4" roller frame and put the 6 inch rollers on them for bigger stuff.  Best is a prime coat of similar color then a color coat.  I find Do It Best rust preventive enamel to be great paint with good coverage and relatively fast dry.  Also they have spray cans of well matched paint in the same colors (I was using gray).  Roll both sides of the expanded metal with a medium to long nap roller.

Spraying is not efficient or cost effective especially on expanded metal.  Rolling goes pretty fast - keep the roller well loaded.  Use plastic bags tightly wrapped on rollers and brushes if you take a break even several hours or possibly over night to keep from having to clean them between coats or when part way done.  I use the oil base version of the paint.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I finally got around to going down to the steel dealer. I selected some 6 gauge expanded steel with approximately a 1 1/4 inch pull. It's non flattened so will have great traction. Their shear is out of commission till this coming Monday, so I left the order and will pick it up on Tuesday. 4 x 8 foot sheet is $85. I'm getting two. Trailer is 5 x 8 feet, so two pieces 48 x 59 3/4 for the floor and the other pieces to make a tailgate / ramp.

MountainDon

6 gauge = 0.1943 inch

for reference 3/16 inch = 0.1875 inch

Huge29

$85 is not bad, about the same as treated 4"x6" and you should not ever have to replace it.  Let's see some pics once you get it all slapped together. 

daz

Yeah I'd be interested in seeing some pics.
spam removed

MountainDon

The mesh has been in the garage for a while. Still waiting for me to finish it. ATV is snowed in so not in a rush

that's a 12 inch square for size comparison
thanks for reminding me , daz