Glen - a question

Started by Laura21, July 27, 2005, 08:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura21

Hi

I am in need of your help. I noticed in your cabin that your exposed timber cielings are plain (can't find a better word). I am interested in doing a similar thing and was wondering what did you use on them. Sealer, varnish ect. I have an exposed timber cieling and wanted a natural look in the living area and was wondering the best choice - a clear coat sealer or something like that.

THanks

Laura

glenn-k

Hi Laura,  Welcome to the CP Forum.  Sorry I didn't get back sooner - working on an apartment complex in Sacramento.

I left them plain- no finish of any kind - Some areas, my wife is using clear polyurethane such as counters or areas we want to accent.  They will be fine with no finish for a hundred years or so inside- just a guess on aging- there is very little UV inside to damage the wood.  To keep it natural looking and give it a finish that changes it very little I have used Defy- they now have a new formula that provides UV protection in a clear or near clear I believe.  Defy will let damp wood dry even after it is applied also.  Defy stops something like 97% of moisture from getting in and resins used in it won't promote fungal growth as some others will.  Outside wood needs a pigment usually to stop UV damage.  Defy has several tints also.  I got mine shipped from the The Log Home Store in Oregon.   I have no association with them except using their services and have no complaints.  More info is available at their site.  Check it all out.

For Shiny we like the poly type finishes-  Mike Oehler said Varnish everything - I think the varnishes darken more than the plastics - not sure  -they can trap moisture in damp wood.  Defy won't give you the shine but stops moisture penetration.  On another project I did at our other house about 15 years ago I sprayed Verathane on the natural pine ceiling.  Still good today with no problem of any kind.

Finish info:
http://aloghomestore.com/nl-exterior.html

Defy
http://aloghomestore.com/finish.shtml#uv-resistant

Laura21

Hi,

I have treated plywood rather than planks (they were way too rich for my budget) and am looking for a rustic look for a mexican theme in my living area and kitchen.

Thanks. The roof is really high and someone said I had to put something on it or it will get mouldy inside. I think I will go with just a sealer. I have seen some natural roofs and some that seem to have a charcoal rub with the sealer so the wood colour shows through. I was looking at that as an alternative. I will post some pictures as soon as I can. Thanks again.

Laura

PS

I am not really new, I just registered on the new forum. I have been around since the old board.

Amanda_931

You can sometimes get rough-sawn boards from your local sawmill  ("barnwood" in my part of the country--random widths and probably species) might well be quite inexpensive.

If it stays dry it will probably stay mold-free.  If it doesn't, it may well not--dry-rot is no fun to deal with at all.

We had a discussion on another list/forum once where people were coming up with studies that tended to show that  plain wooden cutting boards were pretty good in the germ-free department.  Might have had some oil after they looked really dried out, but....

By the way, the Google--parts of it look exactly like spell-checks from Windows--spell-check hated sawn, and barnwood as one word.

Laura21

Thanks Amanda but we have no local saw mills. All the wood here is imported. So that option is not available. Thanks for the suggestion.

Laura

spinnm

Laura,

If there's no UV problem and you're looking for something just to enhance the look and don't want a gloss....

You can use Boiled Linseed Oil and Turpentine....50/50.  Probably the cheapest thing you'll find.  You can cut the oil with mineral spirits, cheaper yet, but I prefer turpentine which is a wood product.  Stinky for a few days.  Don't know if you're living there yet.

glenn-k

A friend of mine who has a sawmill and built his own house all of wood uses the linseed oil as Shelly mentioned.  He sprays it with a Hudson sprayer (lawn sprayer -hand pump air pressure).

Also if you use these types of materials keep in mind that piles of used oil soaked rags can spontaneously combust and burn your house down.  Don't pile them up and dispose of properly.

Laura21

THanks for the tip and the warning  :o .

I was watching HGTV yesterday and also saw where they applied dirty automotive oil to the cieling and that came out great. I have started with brown shoe polish in the hall and will post as soon as I am through to reveal. I will probably try the turpentine mix Shelly suggested.

Thanks all

Laura

glenn-k

I should have also stated that even a bunch of them in a garbage can will catch fire.  Spread them out to dry in a safe place.

Amanda_931

Used motor oil may look great, but consider this.

What makes it black is a stew of a whole bunch of half-way burned hydrocarbons, and maybe a few odd molecules with nitrogen in them--from compression of the air-fuel mixture.  No telling what's in there.  Some but not all of the black stuff may be cancer-causing.  Some, not all, of the stuff will out-gas for an unknown period of time.

Would be nice to have a local use for cruddy old motor oil, but....

Laura21

You do have a point there. Maybe I just need to stick to the turpentine & linseed oil.  ;D

Laura