Hows the weather?

Started by astidham, September 28, 2010, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

Brrrrr....8 degrees this morning. No big deal for many of you but in this neck of the woods that is COLD! On a positive note I guess it will provide extra motivation to finish the insulation job I am working on.  ;D

dug

I'm hoping the first day of the new year will turn out to be the coldest. Thermometer sitting at 0 degrees right now and everything is frozen solid- no running water. Pretty sure I will be dealing with some broken pipes when it finally thaws.  :(

Redoverfarm

Just a little reminder from Mother Nature that she is not finished.  Awoke to another 2" of fresh snow.  Temp is 20F with the extended forecast showing that we will not get above freezing until next weekend.

glenn kangiser

Brrr - guess I'll keep our 33 nights to 52 days with mostly sunny then... no rain til Weds night  - then slight chance
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

That skiff that hit you John didn't get here last night, I drove over the forest and hit it at the job this morning. Kinda ugly day but not too cold, pushed snow and poured some block cores then tarped and left heat on it. The snow followed me home, we've got a couple of inches now. Looks like a pretty gloomy week coming up, but this week wasn't too bad for January.

Redoverfarm

Additional 5" of snow last night.  Temperature is 18F.  Feel fortuneate though as there are southern states who have gotten more accumulation than us. ???.  Weather pattern this winter has been odd.  No complaints but it looks as if someone put up "Detour" signs to Mother Nature on the Mountain State in comparison to the years previous.

considerations

32F and 8" of snow by midnight last and 38 F and melting and soaking wet by 6AM.

Redoverfarm

The day started off with 1-1/2" of sleet and then turned to snow.  Accumulation thus far is 4" of snow plus 1-1/2" of sleet.  Temp bounces from below freezing to just a few degrees above.  But the snow fleas have decided to emerge again.  Last year they appeared on December 24th.

astidham

67 degrees tomorrow!
but I have to work  :(
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Sassy

Those snow fleas amaze me - wouldn't think any bugs would be up & about!

Yesterday it got to 70 degrees.  Today it was 66 just before noon - blue skies, sunshine - went down to the valley to visit w/my grandkids & hit fog, 45 degrees, cold, wet, ugly!  So glad I'm off work for awhile because I'd be driving home in that stuff at midnight & its no fun.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Sassy

astidham

76 degrees Saturday, today;

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

rain, sleet which froze, then an inch of snow

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

gandalfthegrey

37 degrees and dense fog (vis to 300') low tonigth snd tommorow night in mid 20s.  ???
Weather man said strong Santa Ana winds. and warm.  He must be reading the wrong que card.
Bad Wolf

MountainDon

Cabin forecast calls for up to 20 inches from last night through Wednesday.

Schools closed here in the city today.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

12" so far and still snowing. Going below 0 tonight. I got a call EMS to tell me not to drive anywhere today as all roads are nearly impassable. We have high winds to go with all this so lots of fun to be had. Nice and cozy in the cabin though and we still have power and internet so it's all gravy. Stay warm.

Windpower

We seem to be having a blizzard here in N IL

supposed to get another 18" by tomorrow

home warm

DW is cooking some beef stroganoff

V on tonight

don't get no better

;D
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

It's colder in Albuquerque today than Fairbanks, Alaska!  I believe we're setting a new record low (-4) for the day; maybe a tie. Reports differ.

Our street never melted off today, it usually does within a day of snow. Just a coating of ice and packed snow, but slippery. I answered my question whether or not anti skid brakes work in reverse. They do.

ScottA

Going down to -10 tonight. 14" of snow on the ground and it's not going to melt this week.

dug

-9 degrees now, records shattered here in southern NM. What sounded like gun shots this morning were trees snapping!

MountainDon

We hit a new record for the day and month at -9 as well. The unofficial station a few blocks away hit -13.

Also the third day in a row for a school "snow" day. Not much actual snow but our local roads are totally iced with only the feeder roads and main routes having blacktop showing in the driving lanes. I know it's not as spectacular looking as Chicago's Lakeshore Dr but for high desert NM it is quite the event.

Redoverfarm

Whats wrong with this picture.  So glad to be spared the wrath of Mother Nature for a change.  Yesterday was 50F and low of 18 last night.  This is the first winter in a long time that I can remember it being so mild (knock on wood) during the winter.  I sympathize with those usually getting what we do.

Windpower

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Sassy

I'm glad I'm not where all the snow is!  My friend in Conn says they have 70 inches on the ground & more expected - she says its the worst winter they've had in 12 yrs.

It's supposed to get in the 60's this week - almost 60 today & sunny, gotta get off of here & get outside!

MountainDon

Dang cold, for NM!!!
Natural gas shortages all through the SW.
Five days in a row, M-F, that the schools are closed. Tomorrow closings are to save on fuel so residences have can have more.
We've never seen anything like this down here.
13 F here right now; 25 F  1500 miles north where I grew up!