Cabin Ideas Please. What would you build?

Started by lonelytree, January 01, 2008, 06:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

The plot thickens... There's some photographic perspective tomfoolery going on here. Have a look at this blow up of a corner of the first picture and tell me that isn't a carpenters pencil. I'll bet tomorrows lunch that's balsa wood framing. And mighty fine work to boot. 

And the 'panel lines' in the second photo are penciled in.   [cool] very cool!

Do you / did you, build model aircraft or boats?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

lonelytree

Spenard Builders has one of their Yukon cabin in the remote sales office off of Minnesota in Anchorage.

1" = 1'

So my 2X6's are just under 1/2"

I cheat.... hot glue gun.

Since it is over 3 hours away (plus a boat ride) and missing parts may waste a weekend for several people, I am doing load lists to make sure that I have the tools and materials needed for each stage (and backup plans for generators etc). I also am trying to prefab anything that I can.

The balloon framing on the ends is so I can cantilever a small deck if I decide to.

My brain is starting to hurt. At least I have a floorplan in my head now.

Thanks!
Mike

MountainDon

You can save some on site time by cutting parts to correct length before transporting them to the site. Good thinking especially for working in so remote a place.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

lonelytree

Quote from: MountainDon on January 05, 2008, 02:02:25 AM
The plot thickens... There's some photographic perspective tomfoolery going on here. Have a look at this blow up of a corner of the first picture and tell me that isn't a carpenters pencil. I'll bet tomorrows lunch that's balsa wood framing. And mighty fine work to boot.  

And the 'panel lines' in the second photo are penciled in.   [cool] very cool!

Do you / did you, build model aircraft or boats?

Sorry Don, but the boss is buying lunch tomorrow. It is ripped down 2X material. I am too cheap to buy balsa. My buddy says I squeek when I walk. I used a nice pen to draw in the flooring. It makes it easier to count materials.

I have not built a model anything since those little plastic kit cars (snap together) when I was a pup.

The cabin will be built near behind and left or right of the little cabin pictured here.

Thanks!
Mike

MountainDon

Quote from: lonelytree on January 05, 2008, 02:23:25 AMIt is ripped down 2X material.
That would explain the couple of flaws I saw in a couple places... couldn't reconcile that with balsa. (old aircraft builder here)

kev_alaska

Lonelytree, we finished the 10 X 14 little house from this site. Same type of location in Alaska. We had the lumber barged down river and then we pulled it up a 80' bluff to get started. This one is serving as a temporary hideout while we build the 1-1/2 story cabin on this site as well. We are going to stretch it a bit to 30'. We have decided to bring all the materials in via snowmobile this winter rather than repeat the barge scenario. No real reason, it just gets our material in three months earlier than the river and snow access is easier from the backside. (no bluff) Post and Pier design also from this site. We will be sandpointing a well this next summer and use it for our water needs. At present we haul water in or pump it from the river and filter it before using.

This site is awesome. Any question I have ever had has been answered here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22535088@N06/
Stealing ideas from John, PEG and Glenn for a several years now.......

Redoverfarm

Kev

[cool] site
Had you considered air lifting the materials. ;D

ScottA

I admire you guys building in these remote locations. It's hard enough building 200' from the hiway.

Drew

There's a couple, Aaron and Jill, who built a remote cabin in Alaska with lots of the same challenges you're talking about.  Here's the link:  http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin.htm.

I think I first ran into that site as a link from here.  It's a very inspirational story.  I've had a lot of tools in my tool belt, but never a bear pistol.

MountainDon

That is a cool Alaskan story.

We took to wearing a revolver &/or keeping the 45-70 close by this past fall as the bears were rambling about looking for anything they could get at to eat before winter.

lonelytree

Bears, what bears.... I just need to find out what is making these tracks on my beach.

Drew
Borks place is truely an Alaskan achievement. Maybe in 20 years, after I retire, I can afford the time to build such a fine piece of art. Until then I have to stick build.

Kev,
  Su or Yentna? I have spent a few hours nearby. I know a couple places on Kroto for pike and have even made it into Flathorn once. Only got stuck in duckbutter for about an hour. Talk about a shallow 1/2 mile. I got tired of paying 27.50 to launch. For a bit more, I can go a little farther, have the lake almost to myself and see more wildlife. The fishing isn't bad either.
 I agree with taking the materials in in the winter. I was told to lay pallets down, run rope or straps through them, lay down tarp or plastic, fill it with materials, wrap and tie it up. Big blue burritos.
 I am going up end of Jan to scout a bit, fish a bit and see if my wheeler will pull a meat trailer across the lake. I only have access to one snow machine and it is a short track 500. It is a bit hard to comprehend carrying 15000 pounds in. I don't want to ruin my boat hauling in materials. It is only 2 years old.

Don,
 After this winter, I am more worried about wolves getting at my lab. If there is not much more snow, the wolves will be very hungry. They are attacking dogs all over. I still don't know what to expect when the heard of caribou crosses the lake. There are usually some BIG bears following the herds.

Mike

kev_alaska

Helicoptering the material is was quoted at approximately $6K. I paid off my Skandic and bought a trailer for less than that. Doing it during the summer was much higher due to most of the choppers being on contract for fire response.

We are on the Su due west of Nancy Lake. We try to spend about a 100 days a year on the river, so being an annual passholder at the landing makes sense for us.

Last visitor my wife had while we were out getting supplies.
Stealing ideas from John, PEG and Glenn for a several years now.......

kenhill

Here is our Project on Red Shirt Lake in the Nancy Lake State Recreation Area.  Hauled in via snowmobile.  It is John's 20x30 x 1 1/2

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7701&l=0b01b&id=673692405

MountainDon

That was a couple good loads. How packed was the snow? Distance?

lonelytree

Quote from: kenhill on January 07, 2008, 03:34:59 PM
Here is our Project on Red Shirt Lake in the Nancy Lake State Recreation Area.  Hauled in via snowmobile.  It is John's 20x30 x 1 1/2

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7701&l=0b01b&id=673692405

Thanks for the pics!!

This is very close to what I will be doing. I may shorten to 20 X 28 or even 24 depending on a few things. I will also have to use concrete pads as I cannot set footings.

What was the side wall height and roof pitch to get that clearance for the loft?

Did you make the adjustable beam ties or buy them?

Thanks again!!
Mike

lonelytree

After looking at Ken Hills place I am wondering about the placement of the cabin. If I put the short side to the lake, it will not require a cover for rain or snow. If I place the long side to the lake, it will require some sort of awning/porch etc to shed the rain/snow so that it is not dripping/falling directly on the doorway. The land does not facilitate turning the cabin sideways like Kens. It needs to make its presence either shortwall or longwall along the lakefront. I prefer a 8 X 12 or so deck. I do not presently want to add a full (long side) front porch.

I noticed that he had split pier beams. Maybe 2 15 foot long 4 X 12's? How can a person tie them together for strength? It would be alot easier to move 4 20 foot beams than 2 30 foot beams and then have to add for a deck. I have a possible source for beams that are reclaimed from a mall that was torn down (cheap).

I ordered the 20 X 30 1-1/2 story plans and hope to modify them just a bit. I really like the split loft idea. I hope to implement it with a small 4 X 10 deck on the second story (aft side). Possibly a shed dormer on the aft north loft and a 2 foot cantilever off the 1st floor bedroom.

Since I may use a woodburning stove. What if I put it in a short 1-1/2 cantilever? THis would put the weight more directly on the beams and shorten the length of the through the wall piping. It would make for a distinct cove that I could maybe river rock in with a mantle.

Thanks,
Mike

kenhill

I bought the adjustable beam ties from Friesen's cabins http://www.friesenscustomcabins.com/.  The wall height followed John's 20x30 1 1/2 plans, can't remember exact details, but it is around 10-11 feet high.

The 14 mile trail to Red Shirt is well used, packed, flat, and groomed.  The difficultly was getting the material up the hill at the construction site.  Sometimes we would have to break the trail up the hill with just the snowmachines and let it set up overnight.  Even then, we would unload half the material on the lake and make 2 trips up the hill.  Used a Bearcat 570 and 2 1994 Cheetah 340's to do the hauling along with an Equinox Brute sled that could hold an amazing amount of material.  Get lots of friends to help and it goes fast.

I also learned, first build the outhouse, storeage shed, and then the cabin!

We often make the trip through the big swamp to the Su to the Yentna and out at Yentna Landing.  Lots of unmarked trails to explore.

benevolance

If the fishing is always that good I think posting pictures of the fish and promising to take people fishing would result in lots of volunteers to help you build.

I got hungry looking at that picture

lonelytree

Quote from: benevolance on January 14, 2008, 04:46:35 AM
If the fishing is always that good I think posting pictures of the fish and promising to take people fishing would result in lots of volunteers to help you build.

I got hungry looking at that picture

Lake trout are kind of a pain. They will hit for 30 minutes then turn off. It took almost all summer to get where we hit them regularly. The last 30 minutes were AWESOME! 3 guys in the boat, a fish on almost the entire time. 3 doubles!!

I love it, I can sit and troll for 2 hours drinking coffee and eating (maybe even take a nap) then all heck breaks loose and we would get 2-5 fish in 30 minutes.

I do have plenty of volunteers. A couple builders, a couple workers and at least one slacker.

Woodswalker

Yo Mike, sign me up for the slacker crew.

A brother and I drove a '56 VW (36HP) up the Alcan Highway in '66 (1500 miles of gravel then), and spent the summer camping north of Anchorage.  Lots of evidence of the '64 earthquake still visible in Anchorage, and before the oil boom.  Imagine it has changed dramatically.  I'm originally from MN, so know you'll be swatting as many skeeters with your hammer as nails next summer.  Look forward to your pics as you progress.

Steve

lonelytree

Quote from: Woodswalker on January 18, 2008, 09:40:58 PM
Yo Mike, sign me up for the slacker crew.

A brother and I drove a '56 VW (36HP) up the Alcan Highway in '66 (1500 miles of gravel then), and spent the summer camping north of Anchorage.  Lots of evidence of the '64 earthquake still visible in Anchorage, and before the oil boom.  Imagine it has changed dramatically.  I'm originally from MN, so know you'll be swatting as many skeeters with your hammer as nails next summer.  Look forward to your pics as you progress.

Steve

I am looking for a battery powered skeeter magnet (cheap). If not I will purchase a new one in the spring. I cannot afford to lose too much time due to weather and critters. We only had a couple days of skeeters last summer and they were not really as bad as I have seen in other areas.

You might like being a slacker on my project. 3 meals, free beer in the evening and slackers get to take the workers fishing in shifts. My slacker buddy is more of an inspector than a worker bee. Whenever he shows up, work stops and everything gets analyzed. I can't be having that too much. I will get him to run materials to/from the boat launch and have him take people fishing.

Mike

benevolance

seems like you have a pretty good system in place there.... delegation is a great skill....I would like to work on that myself except I am not very friendly and people tend to stay away from me....I work them too long and hard and they never come back.....

i always figured you make hay when the sun is shining sort of thing...When there are extra hands you need to put em to good use and get r done

lonelytree

Fortunately, most of the people that are going are long term friends. I can throw a box of donuts and a thermos of coffee at them and get them to willingly push the boat away from shore as I warm the engine. They appreciate the experience and don't need much coddling.

A couple nights before we head up with a work party, I plan to have a pizza feast at the house. I will go over what needs to be done, how it needs to be done and what I need them to provide. I assisted in a 30 X 40 garage a couple years ago. There were too many cowboys and not enough superivsion or experience. When it came time to sheet it, I found several studs that needed to be moved etc..... It was MUCH worse when I tried to sheetrock it. Lets just say that "it looks good from the road". I did not lay anything out, I just provided a weak back and a bit of humor.

I bought the 1-1/2 story plans and am getting quotes. I wish I had purchased the lot and had it paid for. I need to close by mid-march but am short a bit to pay cash for the land. If I do pay cash for the land, I will have to wait for materials... and so on.... I talked to "a lending institute" and the loan that I was offered was outrageous. 35K on 25 years, 368 per month, INTEREST ONLY for the first 15 years, then it would be applied to the principle. I asked the lady if there was anyone with a credit rating above 750 that was stupid enough to take out one of their loans. She said it is VERY popular. When I asked for 35K on 8 years, she said thay don't do loans like that. No wonder there are so many people in credit trouble.

After reading the Red Shirt Lake cabin progress. I find that I may do what he suggests. Build an outhouse, shed and repair the cabin that is on the lot this summer. If I can do that AND get the foundation done, I can make better progress in 2009 on the cabin. Building season starts about Memorial Day and ends mid to late-October. Kind of short when you are working too many hours anyway.

akemt

Have you checked to see if the seller will owner-finance if you've got cash for most of the cost?  Heck, they might take a significantly lower selling price if you walk up with a breifcase of cash...  Just like in the lending arena, people are crazy when it comes to money and will do things that aren't always rational. 

I do think spending the time to do it right and not be rushed would be time well spent, even if it is a bit of a let down to put off the building.  Then you've also got more time to collect building supplies (windows, heaters, etc) on sale or second hand.

I don't plan to move any farther North than Haines, AK at the most...brave people!  Best of luck! 
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

Willy

Quote from: lonelytree on January 21, 2008, 10:47:16 PM
Fortunately, most of the people that are going are long term friends. I can throw a box of donuts and a thermos of coffee at them and get them to willingly push the boat away from shore as I warm the engine. They appreciate the experience and don't need much coddling.

A couple nights before we head up with a work party, I plan to have a pizza feast at the house. I will go over what needs to be done, how it needs to be done and what I need them to provide. I assisted in a 30 X 40 garage a couple years ago. There were too many cowboys and not enough superivsion or experience. When it came time to sheet it, I found several studs that needed to be moved etc..... It was MUCH worse when I tried to sheetrock it. Lets just say that "it looks good from the road". I did not lay anything out, I just provided a weak back and a bit of humor.

I bought the 1-1/2 story plans and am getting quotes. I wish I had purchased the lot and had it paid for. I need to close by mid-march but am short a bit to pay cash for the land. If I do pay cash for the land, I will have to wait for materials... and so on.... I talked to "a lending institute" and the loan that I was offered was outrageous. 35K on 25 years, 368 per month, INTEREST ONLY for the first 15 years, then it would be applied to the principle. I asked the lady if there was anyone with a credit rating above 750 that was stupid enough to take out one of their loans. She said it is VERY popular. When I asked for 35K on 8 years, she said thay don't do loans like that. No wonder there are so many people in credit trouble.

After reading the Red Shirt Lake cabin progress. I find that I may do what he suggests. Build an outhouse, shed and repair the cabin that is on the lot this summer. If I can do that AND get the foundation done, I can make better progress in 2009 on the cabin. Building season starts about Memorial Day and ends mid to late-October. Kind of short when you are working too many hours anyway.
That loan they offerd you is a JOKE!!  That is over $66,000.00 in instrust before you can pay princible on a 35K loan! Then you still get to pay instrust on a 35K loan after that??? For those kind of payments on a place just to spend a week end or two a year at I would put the money in a account and save it for say 8 months=$2,944.00 and rent the nices place in alaska for 2 weeks! I WOULD NEVER TIE UP THAT KIND OF MONEY ON FOREVER PAYMENTS JUST TO VACATION A COUPLE WEEKS A YEAR. I would only go the pay as I could plan and try to pay cash for the land and go the build as you can afford method. You can allway finace thru credit cards a dried in shell and then pay that off in a year or so. Paying a instrest only loan is paying nothing at all except the right to put off princible payments that pays the loan off. I would sell a extra car, anything to come up with the extra money cause those things are easy to replace later and not realy needed. A dried in shell is cheap compaired to finishing the insides but it gives you a space to stay in camping and lets you finish the rest as you can.  If you have a loan on the land you may be handcuffed to there regulations on what is done and how it is done, insurance is one of them! A bank loan on the building may require you also to do things there way this is one thing you beat using a credit card for materials or cash advance. You just need to realy pay these off fast with extra payments to save the extra cost involved doing it that way. Anyway you look at it the instrust only loan is a total loss of money!! Mark