Exterior Sliding Door

Started by CliffordLadner, December 09, 2018, 08:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CliffordLadner

With a new 3" slab about to be poured over an existing slab we are faced with raising a sliding exterior door by 5" ( 2" for rigid insulation and 3" concrete, the room has the height. The door is 8.5" thick. It has been suggested by the cement guys to extend the foam 6" under the door and place a wood form at the 8.5" mark to pour over the foam but to have a full 5" thick pad at the last 2.5 inches. This all sounded fine but then I thought, What if I stop the concrete at the inside of the door and raise the whole door with 5" of high-density rigid foam. It would surely insulate the slab better from the outside cold. Does this make any sense? Or should I consult with some (spam/advertising? link to a window & door company removed) company?  What is the proper accepted method of doing this?

Thanks.

NathanS

Next level spam. Good catch, I missed it.

Taken from a real post here.
https://www.diychatroom.com/f104/raising-door-644621/?amp=1

MountainDon

Interesting find; pretty much a verbatim copy, but without the window/door company link. Note that other was posted 5-6 weeks ago and with a different user ID over there... Perhaps the link was deleted on the diy forum? To be honest, this one is hard to call with certainty.

If this is a post by a real person I hope we have some ideas presented, and I apologize for any shadow of doubt I may have created by deleting the advertising link.  In any case, the link seemed to violate the rules here as it was not connected with the question about a concrete floor; it was a sales site for windows and doors.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.