using a generator for power tools - any issues?

Started by cbc58, March 29, 2017, 01:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Sparks

What did I do wrong on my attempt in thread #22. No Pix
"we go where the power lines don't"

glenn kangiser

You did it right Dave, but the URL When copied and pasted into the address line does not give me a picture. I get an error.

Bruce, the quiet box could work if considerations are made for cooling, exhaust and intake air. Air cooled engines don't like closed spaces or recirculating exhaust into the intake air.

I tried to set a generator into a hole in the ground with an open top, and even that smothered it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: Dave Sparks on April 10, 2017, 02:05:00 PM
Thank-you Don!  How are you guy's doing? If this works Spring is here!

As Glenn stated, the image link in post#22 does not work; returns an error. 

To me it does not appear to be the complete, or correct link that is needed to produce an image in the forum thread.

We are doing great. A month and a half to go before summers break.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

This is what the link to the image I did in post #21 looks like. You will note is is very different from the link you posted in post#20... that did not produce an image directly in the thread here.  What you see below is what I got when right clicking | copy image address.... on the image in the post#20 link.   I don't understand why Google does this image thing this way. But they do.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OXeMxAiMjakb84a0evouDUXjVufuTvAO-vH-Ou4BdUSxrzSK15-Wz6jdKKq_lSQF0euDXIbmWxatXDUF26z7rlmLrhdrB-qAwhtETayMwTyQimxQrmMftcZAdhHVGqB905hkfvbB7e2ICXARJ8sVAauEoVW-IlUeD7pSAI4KNFDkBLF7rbetEZWdmjvRM2rxzM95bL1pxEfsQme0NlnKIzjsr9Mt79mmzjoG8BKExPFTAjtvvcqejW-yQJTM-AdYSh3-49sgIs82OxQZ9FAjt4-5f_aiceVEpm17WLZq3m6IFXjIaUgOtWxc1APg3kE9kTvrXz3MVciSl8jSUr5GqWW3EcuG78n0pEO64G5y3RQP6JokRpCddxNL5shNywv6TfI5ti91J4kj_COlmzd4psE_vFJnHH_g53i2HWkVxC_dhYGyLuj8zak0O5fUfXohdF3Qhg5ZciwHY70mMHKjqznIjQCgwGcYdx0jQ0nTbEG5rlTCoGJSBP0eBeiLmVA_o8XDRB_mkuIZANoQtOpI0i2rknMe6TCOAJAJsjV1Oc3gPIhGhB46lpb1on-Ona4T16FzKKgnots5EQPQUwvb9cv3fKJlBAUXDV-9rDqURnzymjGSe4-AE6Vd7fGJY68Ec84Q0tGGuWL4bq7d8TrZr7zIsXNTFaxPLiUGfXwBJw=w913-h430-no

When you right click on the image and copy the address from there, your link should beging with the "googleusercontent"   and end with a  "-no".  At least all the ones I have tried contain those, plus a goobeldygook string of miscellany.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cbc58

Appreciate all the replies to my original question and further discussion of generators.  Had the opportunity last weekend to see the Honda 2000i in action - it was sitting about 50' from a music setup (speakers/amps/mic) with an extension cord run from it and you couldn't even hear it.  Very nice.  I want one. 

No shortage of used generators for sale - they are everywhere...

firefox

Thanks Glenn! Possibly run the exaust through a long tube with an added suction fan.
I guess it depends on how much the noise bothers you.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Dave Sparks

maybe my problem was that pix were in a private folder?  This one is not... I hope!

Dave Sparks

That must have been it?
The Honda 2000i had a Utube from Honda back in the day running a 300 watt load with a guy talking on a cell phone sitting on it.
I sold mine to a neighbor who still uses it for an electric pole saw. it smokes a little but has to have over 2000 hours in 15 years of use.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Sure Bruce... you could try something like that.   I have to keep air space in mind on my welding truck also.  I have seen welder problems with other trucks having the welder in even a very large box but not paying attention to the air flow. :)

Good to see you got it, Dave.

Planning another trip out West, Don?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 13, 2017, 12:57:24 PM

Planning another trip out West, Don?

Nothing west planned at present, except for Colorado in July; east, far away east to Cape Breton Island this June

glenn kangiser

Cool.  I think we will be around the US some before the end of the year but likely international by end of the year again. :)

cbc58

Quoteeast to Cape Breton Island this June

We used to go camping there when I was growing up.  Peggy's Cove area.  Very nice.