New Implementation For New Members

Started by MountainDon, November 28, 2009, 09:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

There have been a couple of changes in forum operation that will not directly affect most members in any way whatsoever.

The first change is the introduction of a new member group, named "Apprentice", and inserted between Newbie and Junior Level.

FYI, a Newbie is defined as any member with fewer than 5 posts. There are no stars by their name. An Apprentice is a member with 5 to 29 posts and has 1 star by their name. From there, Junior, Full, Senior and up to Journeyman, there are no changes.

The next change is in the permissions settings for Newbie's. The most noticeable change is that a new member can no longer access their profile immediately after activating their account. A Newbie member must have 5 posted messages to attain Apprentice level to be able to access and change their user profile.

The reason is to try and eliminate or at least slow down the "spam and run" type of spammer.

If anyone notices any unintended consequences of the changes please feel pass the issues on to me.

One more thing. Does anybody have any idea for a term to use rather than Newbie?  I had thought of using Apprentice for the lowest level (Newbie) and Intern for the next step up. ???

Thanks
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Pox Eclipse

RainDog

NE OK

considerations

MountainDon

Thanks for the suggestions. Let's continue with whatever suggestions anyone comes up with through the weekend and then I'll see where we're at.   :)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Pox Eclipse

fishing_guy

Having come from the computer generation, Newbie works for me.  It fits the spammers, and those contributing members will quickly outgrow it...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.