Screen house

Started by new land owner, March 23, 2009, 06:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

Taking a trip up to my land this weekend.  Won't have much time to work but should get some of the loose ends tied up.

I have been working on my screen frames.  I also started to buy the "Novelty siding" for under my screens.  I will cut to sze and stain the first coat before installing.

https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/loonlakebound/DSCF0918.jpg

new land owner

Went up to my land for a couple of days.

This is the door I made.  I bought 5/4 stock and it seemed to work out well.

Still have the gabel ends to finish and corner boards to make.

I think I will wait till it is cooler to shingle the roof.

Redoverfarm

Nice progress.  How are you going to finish the corners?

new land owner

Just basic corner boards.  I will carry the front ones over the sides to cover the end grain.

secordpd

Wonderful job, how did you make the posts, were they 2x4 or 2x6 mitered.  What a great idea, because most 4x4 posts warp or split, this way it's stable.  I actually used this method to make legs for a craftsmen style dining room table I made for my niece and her family

I got the plan from Popular Mechanics

I made it from pine since it was my first nice piece, didn't want to use oak my first time.

But when I saw your project, I thought what a great idea for timberframe type posts.  Thats the same as the table I made.  

One more thing, how did you figure out your trusses?  I was thinking of useing the same duel pitch type roof as one side of the gable is longer then the other?  Any tips... Thanx ahead.
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

new land owner

Thanks for the positive comments.

I build each post out of three 2 x 6's.  I ripped one down so that when nailed together the post was 5 1/2" square.  It worked out well when I was running the electric.  I drilled hole in the deck and ran the power before erecting the walls.  I had previously cut out the posts for electrical boxes and then just pushed the wire up the post as I stood them up.

As for the trusses I used a 8 12 pitch on the back portion and a 4 12 pitch on the front.

secordpd

Did you just come up with this plan yourself? If so you are very ingenious... figuring out how everything would fit together, building the trusses..  [cool]
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

new land owner

It is hard to believe how the project slows down when the main portion is complete
I was at the camp for a week and worked two complete days to go from this..

To this...  I installed the corner boards, some of the trim and added the rough sawn lumber on the eves that will later get battens.

I did take some time off to ride the four wheeler, take out the canoe and climb a mountain.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

new land owner

Thanks don

I am going up this weekend and hope to get all the trim up. 

I have the trailer loaded with the trim stock aready stained and the baton boards cut and stained as well.

Plan completing the roof sometime soon.

considerations

Way cool, literally!

new land owner

I had a good weekend and got most of the facsia and soffit materials completed.  I have been staining everything on all four side before I put it up and ran out of materials so I hope to finish next weekend. 

This is the board and batten siding that I plan to use on my future cabin.  At $.60 a foot for 10" wide planks the price seems right and I like the look

I ran out of material to finish the soffits but I had enough so I could finish the Battons on this side.

Soon it's on to the roof....

considerations

That cliff view looks like a shot from the movie Last of the Mohicans [sp].

new land owner

Went up for a three day weekend.

Put a ceiling on the front porch, found that birds were starting to use my screen house as their own.

I like this material it was on $17.00 a sheet at lowes.  I think I will do the entire inside ceiling with this material in the spring.

I also finished all the trim work and all that is left to do is to shingle the roof.

I am taking next week off and I am going to do the shingling.

Is there anything I need to know about shingling a roof with the change of pitches?

It seems like I should end the bottom rows at the point of the pitch change?

diyfrank

You sure are making me think about building a small screen house. Looking good. [cool]
Home is where you make it

Redoverfarm

It appears that your pitch difference is very gradual. I would probably just continue from the porch to the ridge.  That way it would be continous with little chance for leaks.  If it was steeper then a pitch diverter would probably be required and other actions might have needed to take place. 

I used a similar product from Lowes to do the soffit area of my cabin.  It is rough and doesn't take protective finish very well.  I stained mine with a oil based stain.  Interior ceiling might collect dust. 

new land owner

I went up this week and got my roof complete.  Everything went very well, I had no issue with the pitch change.  I did have an issues with the temperature.  One of the only days this year in the 90's up there.  I had to stop and finish the next day.

Can I say I am complete?  Once I put the last Shingle on the roof I was telling myself I am complete.  It seems that now I can think of many small projects still to do.  My brother inlaw is going to cut some steel Brackets for the top of the front posts.    We are going to paint them flat black and use some square ended lag bolts.  I also still have not decided what type of railing I want to do on the porch

Here is the "Final" product.

I took this picture at night I thought the lights made for a cool looking picture.

ScottA

Looks like a good job. Should help keep the bugs away during dinner or dominoes.

Abbynrml

Very nice. Your screen house looks great. And I am surprized how quickly you finished it all. You have a lot of talent and skill.

Redoverfarm

Looks real nice. With a little gravel around the the foundation to keep the mud from splashing up on the sills and a little protective sealant to the sills and post and you will be set.  Good job.

John Raabe

This is a great starter project and a handsome job.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

rick91351

Wow!!!  I really like your idea and how well it finished out.

Fact I want one of them for us.  We have a perfect spot for one.

Any ideas how many hours you might have into it?

rlr
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Pritch

That looks GREAT!  I don't recall what part of the country you're in, but a future project could be to build vinyl window panels to enclose the screenhouse to extend usability during the winter.  Alternately, you could have them fabricated by a marine canvas house.   

-- Pritch
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

new land owner

Quote from: rick91351 on August 23, 2009, 12:26:00 PM
Wow!!!  I really like your idea and how well it finished out.

Fact I want one of them for us.  We have a perfect spot for one.

Any ideas how many hours you might have into it?

rlr

Not sure how many hours I have into this project.  I started in the early spring pre building my project.  I worked many days off at home in the garage.  I also pre stained every piece of wood I put on the building.  I will be staining the entire project once more in the spring. I had all the framing parts ie. Trusses and walls pre built and it took a solid week of work to put in the foundation, raise the walls and put on the roof sheving. 

I am 5 hours away from my land so pre building is important.  I have used three of my vacations,on sight, to get my project to this stage.

new land owner

Quote from: Pritch on August 23, 2009, 01:24:40 PM
That looks GREAT!  I don't recall what part of the country you're in, but a future project could be to build vinyl window panels to enclose the screenhouse to extend usability during the winter.  Alternately, you could have them fabricated by a marine canvas house.   

-- Pritch

I am in the adirondack mountains and I am going to put plastic over the screens this winter but I like the idea vinyl panels for the winter.  Maybe a project for next summer.  Thanks for the Idea.