Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Hi everybody.

Yup - the adventure continues, PEG. 

I just fired up the John Deere for a little bit Tuesday, Harry as the turn in front where  I have been moving dirt was too tight for the big fire truck to easily negotiate.  I told the firefighters I would get that crap out of there for them.

I went on patrol to check things out and they were down at the cul-de-sac a bit later.  Their Commander told them to find a spot to watch for the night.  They were fixing to get set up and I told them that I had widened the road for them and I was the only place around with power and water - lights - tables- restroom,  pool, etc.  While they didn't have time to use it it is a good place to watch the area from.  A great view of all of the surrounding area.  The restroom made points with Andrea.  They call her "the princess" as she prefers a real restroom to going out in the poison oak like they can.

I also schooled them on what poison Oak was --- like --- you're standing in it.  We went over identification of it pretty thoroughly.

I got them to sign my guest book and leave e-mail addresses so I can send them a link although some may have already passed the Countryplans address on.

I took them for a tour of all the defensible space around our place - took them up the hill to Jeanne and Bob's place so they could see the fire lines and other places they had been in order to let them get their bearings and situational awareness.  I have lived here long enough to know that it is easy to get turned around and not know what is where.  Schmidt's place is over the hill but only about 600 feet from the underground complex.  A 600 foot walk gaining about 90 feet in elevation, but it is nearly 3 miles by road.

We returned to the underground complex where they paused for a few seconds for a few photos at the front door. 

Suzy couldn't resist kissing the fireman in appreciation for their services.

I asked Andrea for a pix too as she took the other photos.  You will note that I was wearing my holy T shirt also.  With everybody praying for me I felt it was only proper.               

Glenn and the princess.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

good looking pup with the patch of black over his eye... looks like a pirate

Alasdair

Wow! :o What an adventure!
We have had some sleepless nights fighting hill fires with the auxilliary fire brigade here on Knoydart.
Good luck Glenn and Sassy.
Hope you're safe and sound.
Al

John Raabe

Well, I just have to give thanks and a great sigh of relief for what looks to be working out as well as anyone could have hoped... at least for the neighborhood of Glenn & Sassy, Harry and Jeanneschmidt.

I feel honored and a bit amazed that our little home building forum was able to serve as a fire communication center to keep people updated and in contact with neighbors and loved ones.

Here's to ALL the firefighters and their local chief of the knob, Glenn the mountain dozer guy! :D :D :D  ;D ;D ;D  :-* :-* :-*
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Good morning everybody.  8:30 and all is well.

My friends from the Yuma Arizona Station 2 Strike Team just left the Underground Command Center to go out and do what they can to save more places from burning.  Be safe, my friends.

Pictures and updates to follow after my morning rounds.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

harry51

Thanks to all for the good thoughts and prayers. They are appreciated!

Here's a link to some good pics of the fire burning at various locations, including our (Glenn & Sassy's, Jeanne & Bob's, and Harry & Jenny's) area of Mt. Bullion:

http://www.goldrushcam.com/discus/messages/2104/2220.html?1217337257
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

auntrambo

Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 30, 2008, 10:31:40 AM

My friends from the Yuma Arizona Station 2 Strike Team just left the Underground Command Center to go out and do what they can to save more places from burning.  Be safe, my friends.

HEY GLENN, HEARD FROM THE NEIGHBORS ABOVE YOU THAT YOU WERE TRYING TO KEEP MY GARDEN WATERED. THANKS A MILLION. HOPE ALLS GOING WELL. IF YOU NEED US, I'M BACK AT WORK. JUST CALL 209-966-7772 OR YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO REACH US AT MY BROTHERS 209-966-6035. THANKS AGAIN GLENN. STAY SAFE.

glenn kangiser

Thanks , John for being here for us.  

This too is a part of the community of friends you need to safely build, have, maintain and survive when you take that step out, to think for yourself-- to be able to survive while the rest sit back and accept the prescribed standard life that is handed to them.

These people have left their families, children, friends behind 12 hours away to come up here and lay their lives on the line for us.  I felt the least I could do is try to make their stay a little better.  

Spike woke me up this morning - 0400 hours -- get out of bed - you lazy oaf.  Crank up the generator for pumping extra water.  Our friends will be getting up soon and we must prevent them from eating MRE's for breakfast.

I decided it would be steak and eggs for breakfast for them.  I pulled a bunch of steaks out of the freezer -- started the barbecue outside -- as flames leaped into the sky from the burning oak wood I wondered if I would be spotted cooking breakfast.  No problem -- the Yuma Station 2 Strike Team was parked by the pool on the other side of the Underground Complex.  I hosed everything nearby down with water- no need to embarrass my self unnecessarily. [crz]

I went out to the garden - found one of the nice red onions Sassy said were there and washed it diced it up and started sauteing it in butter -

pulled bacon out of the freezer and sliced it into pieces.

I love the smell of that combination as the onions and bacon start to get well cooked.  

Next I added the eggs and scrambled  them, while in the meantime, the steaks were sprinkled with Montreal Steak seasoning and ready to go as soon as the flames subsided in the barbecue.

Shortly the team arrived after their night of broken sleep alternating their watch and trying to catch a few Z's between tours of duty.  No chance for a flareup within their watch to get away without being noticed.  

Suzy stayed up there with them and protected the Princess, Andrea from bears, snakes and hungry mountain lions, never allowing the chance for her to be dinner of one of the wild beasts.

We allowed Princess Andrea to visit the Royal throne room and then the strike team members presented themselves for breakfast.  

We dropped the big table down from the post and scrounged up enough chairs from an undisclosed location in the underground command center to get room for everybody to eat-- OK - so I missed one but we found it soon.

Make the guys at the station jealous kicks in as they sit and take pictures of their breakfast to send off on their cell phones, all the time saying the other guys are never going to believe this.

They even helped clean off the table.   I said I would take care of it, but they said they had to clean up after themselves at the station and would do it here too.

Ready time at 0715 and off to duty at 0730.

A few creature comforts on the mighty Fire Truck as these heroes ready to go off to battle, doing their part to save the property of the people in the monstrous Telegraph fire.  Yes -- the supervisors who pat each other on the back and brag on each other at the fire meetings are necessary to keep the ball rolling,  but it's these people - the fire fighters and strike teams out in the midst of the danger who are the real heroes in my opinion.  

A couple short videos of my friends who have unselfishly come here to do all they can to battle the flames devouring California.

...and off to war....

Godspeed, my friends.  Come back safely please.  It is an honor to have made your acquaintance.

jeanneschmidt

Glenn, you really are the best!  I am sure that CHP who is guarding the entrance to whitlock off hwy 49 wishes he could be up at your place too enjoying the hospitality!  Be sure to tell the Yuma team how much we appreciate all they are doing! wish we could be there to tell them personnally -

glenn kangiser

The Yuma Strike team members have our address at Countryplans and I hope that after this is over they have time to come back and tell us how things went.

I know their families are checking in here for news of their loved ones.  Hopefully they will pop in and say hi. 

Feel free to comment to them - I also have their e-mail and will send a link to them when they get home..

glenn kangiser

Note -- I had a problem with one video and added it above after I got it reloaded.  Check it out.

glenn kangiser

Sassy has been a bit nervous checking in on me as often as she can.  I am doing just great though and , thanks to her there are enough supplies here for me to keep going for several months. :)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: auntrambo on July 30, 2008, 11:09:34 AM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 30, 2008, 10:31:40 AM

HEY GLENN, HEARD FROM THE NEIGHBORS ABOVE YOU THAT YOU WERE TRYING TO KEEP MY GARDEN WATERED. THANKS A MILLION. HOPE ALLS GOING WELL. IF YOU NEED US, I'M BACK AT WORK. JUST CALL 209-966-7772 OR YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO REACH US AT MY BROTHERS 209-966-6035. THANKS AGAIN GLENN. STAY SAFE.

Rhonda, everything is taken care of as well as possible for now - I watered yesterday.  Will get back up there later today.

considerations

Glenn: Here is a little email from one of your fire fighter friends.  I copied one of the emails off of the picture of the sign you posted:

"Thank you very much for the support. We really enjoyed visiting with Glen, and are hoping that we can get a handle on this mess soon! We will continue to stop by and check on him as long as we are assigned to this part of the fire. Be safe, Steve Legros"

Hah! the circle is complete!

Now we can check on you if your communications go down....

glenn kangiser

Quote from: MountainDon on July 29, 2008, 11:30:04 PM
Dang it Glenn! I go away for a week, never turn on the TV or radio and look what happened.  :o Crimoney! I truly hope you and your property are still okay.

You snooze, you lose, Don.  Doing well here for now.  Thanks for checking in.

TV is so bland, flatscreen and unreal.  I'm a 3-D action figure.  d*

glenn kangiser

Quote from: considerations on July 30, 2008, 02:59:06 PM
Glenn: Here is a little email from one of your fire fighter friends.  I copied one of the emails off of the picture of the sign you posted:

"Thank you very much for the support. We really enjoyed visiting with Glen, and are hoping that we can get a handle on this mess soon! We will continue to stop by and check on him as long as we are assigned to this part of the fire. Be safe, Steve Legros"

Hah! the circle is complete!

Now we can check on you if your communications go down....

Thanks, Considerations.  I think they will all end up being Countryplans members before we are through.

That's one e-mail we won't lose.  Hopefully they get back here soon.  I know the Princess will miss her throne.  (Hate to see her come down with a bad case of poison oak).

glenn kangiser

Quote from: PEG688 on July 29, 2008, 09:22:58 PM

Glenn's excellent adventure rolls on  8)  c*

Thats a nice cabin the neighbors have , Jeannie's place I take it . :-\

It looks like they have enough clearing around it to be some what safe from fire , maybe thats not true . Hard to tell from the photo IF theres weak places / dry stuff to close.

So whats the situation like now? How close did it get , the fire and was that a good thing in that it burned most of the fuel off then stopped?

That fire gear looks HOT! But I guess / know they need it to get in range to fight the fire , way different than the gear I had back in the 70's when I was a young volunteer firemen back in R.I.

Stay safe , eh! :) 

G/L PEG

Hey PEG - hopping around like a fart in a skillet here.  Still plenty to do but things are looking better on this end.  I still haven't gotten down to the lower end of our property.  I heard there was fire or back burning down there.  Maybe later.

Thanks for checking in on me. :)

harry51

Here's the latest as of 7/30/08 2:25PM:

Mariposa, CA -- The 32,063 acre Telegraph Fire has reached 20 percent containment as of 6am today.

According to Sierra National Forest Public Information Officer Sue Exline the fire is moving in a northwest-northeasterly direction into the Stanislaus National Forest. Its thrust toward Yosemite has been halted with the fire now 10 miles from the Park.

The fire is essentially burning away from structures. A top priority for the Incident Command staff is to return residents to their homes as soon as possible and that could take place this week.

The number of resources continues to increase with the use of 12 air tankers, 15 helicopters, 74 hand crews, 443 engines, 38 water tenders and 66 dozers. Cost is now estimated at $13.9 million.

Hwy 140 is closed to public traffic during daylight hours to allow crews to stage equipment in the area. In addition helicopters are flying low to draw water from the Merced River.

so ops news & notes 7/30 1100 hrs

Telegraph (CA-MMU-9779) the fire has burned 32,063 acres and s 20 % contained North end of the fire is a running surface fire with occasional single tree torching. The remainder of the incident is experiencing moderate fire behavior. The communities of Mariposa, Midpines Mt. Bullion and John C Freemont Hospital are threatened. The communities of Mariposa, Midpines, Greeley Hill, Coulterville, and Bear Valley are under an evacuation advisory. Various roads between Mariposa, Midpines and Greeley Hill are under an evacuation order. Communication towers for television, radio and repeater sites are threatened. Hwy 140 will have various restrictions East of Mariposa. The sole source watershed for 2,000 Mariposa residents is being compromised. The fire will threaten the Yosemite National Park and the communities of Coulterville, Greeley Hill, El Portal, and Boot Jack. The fire threatens the wild and scenic Merced River, which is habitat for the threatened and endangered Limestone Salamander. The Merced group of Giant Sequoia Redwoods will be threatened. Road restrictions on Hwy 140 East of Mariposa may effect access to Yosemite National Park. The Communities of Lushmeadows and Jerseydale could be threatened.
Beginng today ICT#8(IC Rambo) will assume command of the Southern half of this incident. ICT#6 (IC Hodson) will assume command of the Northern half of this incident with the dividing line being the Merced River on both side of the fire.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

PEG688

This thread should be mandatory reading for all the world, well at least world leaders, who seem to have issues with simple day to day living.

Talk about self reliance  coupled with good will. 8) They'll be back , if they can swing it I bet. You'll be a legend at that fire house Glenn. 

Great job Glenn  8) 

Stay safe buddy!
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

jeanneschmidt

Hey Glenn, I think we should start a little pool to see when they will let us back in.  I am hoping Friday, what do you think? 

Jeanne

glenn kangiser

Crimoney Jeanne.  I thought you were going to start a pool on what temperature I was going to roast to.  Careful where you poke that tender timer. heh

Friday could be a maybe but I heard depending on the fire behavior it could be 2 weeks or more.  Nobody is committing but it s supposed to be a priority.  There are still hotspots and crews going into Harry's even as of tonight.  I was just up to your place about an hour ago.

I surprised 2 Fresno county sheriffs in my cul-de-sac this afternoon.  They were nice enough but at first glance at least one of them thought about giving me attitude.  We talked a bit about some of the people that  were made to leave and my returning and the sheriff  mentioned that some of the people who wanted to stay had no business being there as they didn't have a clue what it was like - they just wanted to stay. 

I guess if you grow big enough huevos to overcome their intimidation then they figure you might be capable of staying.

I told them I was patrolling and taking care of our places and wouldn't be leaving until the roadblock was lifted to avoid bothering them.  I guess the fire guys report suspicious activity to them also.

As soon as I turned around I noticed the most unfriendly officer reach in his car and pull out his bullet proof vest and put it on.  I guess John is right.  They aren't used to mountain people who can take care of themselves.  I never did threaten them or anybody else, but I have been told I can look a bit intimidating if I try.  Probably just that 12 gauge in the gun rack making him nervous - up there it shouldn't be a threat.  I imagine it's a bit unnerving to think of being at the mercy of a crazy guy who really doesn't give a damn.   rofl

All in all most are great guys and doing a job that is necessary but unpleasant for the displaced people.  I agree - I wouldn't have wanted to be responsible for even one more persons life in the middle of that firestorm.

I took you up on your offer of picking the ripe tomatoes and I picked Rhonda's ripe squash when watering there.  I figured that way if another crew showed up needing a place to stay and observe fire for the night, at least I could make fresh tomato soup and squash -- stretch the supplies a bit. :)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: PEG688 on July 30, 2008, 07:50:50 PM

This thread should be mandatory reading for all the world, well at least world leaders, who seem to have issues with simple day to day living.

Talk about self reliance  coupled with good will. 8) They'll be back , if they can swing it I bet. You'll be a legend at that fire house Glenn. 

Great job Glenn  8) 

Stay safe buddy!

I almost feel like this bunch is like my kids out there.  I'm sure there are tons of others that are the same but when you meet a group like this who makes it a point to come introduce themselves  and tell you they are honored to meet you, it is special.

They did get that a bit wrong though -- the honor was in meeting them.  I hope they are safe tonight.  Wildland fires are just about the roughest there are.

Note that a lot of the stuff that will grow here in the hot dry summer is very oily, dry and super hot burning.  I've watched these trees with piles of pine needles below them explode just like a tank of gas.  A giant torch.  I really wouldn't want to be close to it.

Thanks for the good wishes, PEG and everyone.

PEG688

Ya those wild fires can really move as well.

So your place must be a bit like Tahoe , I can see why after last years visit there , fires move so fast , fuel is every where thats for sure.

Some one mentioned it I think here , two Washington state FF have been killed down there , one at your fire, a 18 YO Port Townsend kid , just graduated HS this year. The other was from down by Tacoma , a Chief , he was burned / over ran by fire I think . The kid had a tree fall on him.  :(

Keep your head on swivel , try to get some rest and drink plenty of water , all things easy to say but hard in ways to do.

Thanks for the phone #'s 

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

1. Washington state firefighter Andrew Jackson Palmer, 18, died Friday after a tree fell on him. The federal firefighter from Olympic National Park in Port Angeles, Wash., suffered multiple injuries and died en route to the hospital.

2. A Washington state firefighter who died Saturday scouting the Panther Fire in Siskiyou County had sought cover from a fiery blow-over under his personal emergency fire shelter, fire officials said Monday.

His fellow scouting partner apparently did not use his own shelter, and escaped with minor injuries and no hospitalization, U.S. Forest Service public affairs officer Davida Carnahan said Monday. Few details were available.

Fire is scary, and unpredictable.   :-[

glenn kangiser

Yup, PEG.  These things are serious business.  We've lost others down here.

From prospecting this country I can say that this terrain is rough without a fire nipping at your heels.

They said some was 10 feet a minute.  I have watched the flames leap 30 feet or more in a split second.  So hot the other night that all the gasses in the wood seemed to release immediately in a giant flaming ball as it hit a dry tree.  I was on the hill by the pool watching.  The fire was about a half mile to a mile or so away- close enough.