10 X 12 Shed in VA

Started by highlandva, November 30, 2012, 10:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highlandva

My wife and I purchased 70 acres in Highland County VA with plans of building a cabin as a getaway.  After reading all the projects on the site, we quickly fell in love with the Victoria Cottage.  This project we knew was going to take time as we plan on building 75% of it ourselves.  With a camper on site and a wonderful place already to enjoy, we found out (and don't mind) that it will take a little longer than anticipated, planning and time.  We now have our road in, building pad and septic completed for the cabin and I will begin a new thread on that later.  Now since we actually feel like things are moving forward we decided to first construct a 10X12 shed to help in storing tools, 4 wheeler, and any other misc. that we do not need to carry back and forth as each trip takes 1 hour and 40 minutes one way.  My plan is to build a 10X12 shed with a gambrel roof to allow for more room and a small storage space above.  We started this summer (June 2012).

highlandva

And the build begins, my Dad has been a big help in this project.

duncanshannon

sweet! Love the view.

excited to watch your progress... I need a 10x12 shed and have thought about the gambrel roof for the same reasons!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

highlandva

Now that the foundation has been laid out, the digging begins.  This shed is being built using 4X4 treated posts with 3 4X4 posts as beams on top of the 9 in the ground.  This was the hottest 2 days we have ever spent on our property, it was 100+. 

The holes were 24" deep

Now that the holes are dug  :), time to set the posts.

Ahhh, the bubble in the middle [cool]

highlandva

After the posts set for a feew weeks, back to work on the Shed.  My son and I went over for the day with the plan of getting the posts cut down, beams set, rim/floor joists in and subfloor on.  With the 9 posts in the ground, I am putting 3 4X4 beams on top of them securing with brackets.  Once the beems are set, I will use 2X4 rim/floor joists at 12" centers.  All of this will be completed with treated lumber. 

After cutting them down.....

He did all the work  :)

And the oh yeah, I am out of the ground dance  [cool]

duncanshannon

Quote from: highlandva on November 30, 2012, 11:26:21 AM
Once the beems are set, I will use 2X4 rim/floor joists at 12" centers.

How did you attach the rim joist to the beams?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 

highlandva

duncanshannon,
I toenailed 3 1/2" galvanized nails about every 12 inches into the beams.  As you will see later, my wall sheathing will go below the rim joists and over the beams about and inch.  This will allow me to nail the wall sheathing into the beams creating a a good tie down for the shed. 

highlandva

Trailer is loaded full, truck too.  Now to get trusses built and walls up!

Gambrel trusses being made

Thanks to NavyDave for the idea on making jigs to help with putting them together and laying out the trusses on the subfloor.  This sure made the measurements and vision easier. 

Double gussets screwed at each angle, except for the 2 end trusses which only had one side with gussets.

2X4 walls 2' on center.  My Dad lending a hand

Top plate finished

T1-11 on

I had to leave at this point and put up a temporary roof with 2X4's and a tarp.  This was right before Hurricane Sandy and we were expecting to get a bunch of rain and wind.  I know this storm was very devastaing to many, in my neck of the woods we just missed it and had very little of either.  Think goodness, I don't think my temp roof would have made it  :-\

I also stained it before I left, you can start to see it darken a little

duncanshannon

Quote from: highlandva on November 30, 2012, 01:00:46 PM
duncanshannon,
I toenailed 3 1/2" galvanized nails about every 12 inches into the beams.  As you will see later, my wall sheathing will go below the rim joists and over the beams about and inch.  This will allow me to nail the wall sheathing into the beams creating a a good tie down for the shed.

Got it, thanks.

Clearly you know what you are doing!

So you must have then made slightly shorter than 8' walls to accomodate the overlap/hang?

Duncan

ColchesterCabin

Sweer looking shed that's coming together really quickly....
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

highlandva

Duncan, yes, I did cut the walls down and made them 7'6", this gave me 1" of sheathing overhang on the beams which I think is a good tie in for wind and strength. 

ColchesterCabin, thanks.  I have been lurking on here for a year, purchased my Victoria plans a year ago too and just been thinking and planning the project.  I decided this shed would finally give me some feeling of accomplishment and drive to keep pushing and start the cabin, which is starting in the spring ;D.  I finally took the time to learn and start posting my shed project so I am posting it rather quickly but the project did start at the end of June and it is December 1 now.  I get there when I can to work on it.  I have calculated that it has taken me 7 days to get it to the point with tar paper on the roof and gable ends done and trimmed.  I will post this next.

NavyDave

Highland your home site is AWESOME! Right in the middle of God's country. I hope your upcoming Victoria build is as positive experience to you as mine's been for me. There are highs and lows during the process. Embrace both. The education from these character building experiences is something you could never pay for and learn in a real school!

The 4-wheeler garage is coming along nicely  w* glad to see your progress.

highlandva

After 2 weeks of letting it sit with the temporary roof...to my suprise my nice new tarp was mostly on and the weather had been nice to me [cool].  Dad and I went for just the day to get the trusses up and tar paper on.  My trusses will sit 2' on center above the wall studs.

Bracing installed and trusses going up.  Even on this small shed, bracing is IMPORTANT and really helps get things square.

And with 30# paper on we left it and acomplished the temp roof

highlandva

OK, this final post for now will get me up to date on my shed project.  After Dad and I got under temporary roof, I went back for 1 more day by myself to build the gable ends and put trim on. 

Trim is done on the gables with 1X4 PT lumber.  I also used a 1X2 trim on the 4 corners of the shed.  Before I left I was able to get the ends stained. 

And I also tied the trusses to the top plate/walls with Simpson brackets.

I am planning on going back in the next week to put on the Red metal roof.  I wanted to put metal on so it will match the house.  Once this is complete I need to build and attach the doors.  This will get me mostly completed, I will still need to build a ramp into the shed, put a window on the back wall and eventually I am going to build an overhang that will allow me to stockpile wood and store a tractor. 

duncanshannon

Very nice! You make it look so easy.   I hope to build my shed in 2013!

highlandva

OK, back at it.  I finally got all my metal roof materials last week, so I went up for the day to get some loose ends finished before the roof.  The day started off a cool 20 degrees  :-\.

I finished the trim on the back side gable end.  You can see that the last time I stained it and the roof felt was overlapping.  It was too cold today to stain/seal, so that will have to wait. 

Also finished up the remaining 8 rafter ties

After a nice long and cold 4 wheeler ride, I decided to build a door with my time remaining.  I actually only had enough materials for one anyway.

I am planning to go voer this weekend to get the metal roof installed and hopefully the doors hung.  Making it this far gets me excited to start on the cabin in the Spring [cool]

highlandva

OK, time to get the shed finished...I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get to the site :-\

No problem, only about 5" of snow, a little throttle and I made it no problem.  It was cold, 8 a.m. and 20 degrees, the high today was 38 degrees.  My hope was at least to get the roof completed.  Here is my first go at a metal roof. 

I will say I read this in a prior post and if you are installing a metal roof, you MUST get a magnetic socket  8)

And now some of the trim

The gambrel transition flashing is installed on the first side and the top panels are complete

Now side two, bottom panel, bottom trim, gambrel transition flashing and then the top panels.  Oh did I mention it is only 32 degrees at lunch time ;D

Finished the trim on the back side.  I will say that a good buddy (agricultural contractor) who puts these roofs on all the time was able to get me the roof at a very REASONABLE price and I will be using him for my cabin too [cool].  As for the trim, it had a 6" overhang which covers my treated trim.  If I was paying full price, I would have gotten a 2" overhang since my trim was 4". 

Finished product

The metal roof took longer than expected.  I will say that cutting angles on the metal is STILL confusing ???  I still need to finish some loose ends bending some of of the trim/ridge ends.  There was not enough time with these short daytime hours to get the doors hung, but thanks Dad for all your help.  This has been a great project and the cabin is just around the corner.