Wall Framing/ Stud Spacing

Started by LSUrulzzz, May 25, 2009, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUrulzzz

Building 14x40 MH Addition with shed roof
Have finally finished floor framing and now have a nice new floor...
Ready to start wall framing and trying to get material list together
1. Besides the insulation factor is there any real Structural advantage of using 2x6@24" o.c. VS 2x4@16"o.c. ??
2. My little house plan kit states for flat roof use 2x10@24"o.c....
If using 2x4 studs @ 16" o.c. does one still attach rafters at 24" o.c. ??

rocking23nf

Its code here in Alberta to use 2x6 walls.

MountainDon

In all cases what the local building department wants takes precedence over any plans. 2x6 wall's are specified in many codes, for insulation, not for structural reasons, as a rule.

A disadvantage to 2x6 on 24" centers can be the interior walls. Regular 1/2" drywall can appear wavy on 24" centers. Use 5/8 sheetrock in those cases.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

tc-vt

I think I remember seeing somewhere that studs must be in line with the roof rafters with a single top plate, but with a double plate, they do not have to line up with each other, as would be the case with 24 oc rafters and 16 oc studs.  My walls are 16 oc and the trusses are 24 oc.  I tripled the top plate in the knee wall (mainly for a bit more height).

Tom

MountainDon

And I would point out there is really no reason to build with a single top plate. Double is likely required under any modern code.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Code does allow a single top plate with some rules like those mentioned, don't do it though. You can use 16" oc wall framing with 24" roof framing, every other rafter will land over a stud if you do it correctly. Always try to stack framing whenever possible.

LSUrulzzz

K... I have decided to go with the 2x4 @ 16"o.c.
Another question ... Keep in mind that this is a MH Addition
On the Rear wall ( Closest to trailer ) Is it necessary to cover the outside of wall with 1/2" wall sheathing ??
Or, since this wall is so close to existing home is there another "insulated board" product that will maybe suffice ?

PEG688

Quote from: LSUrulzzz on June 01, 2009, 07:51:25 PM

#1: Another question ... Keep in mind that this is a MH Addition

#2: On the Rear wall ( Closest to trailer ) Is it necessary to cover the outside of wall with 1/2" wall sheathing ??

#3: Or, since this wall is so close to existing home is there another "insulated board" product that will maybe suffice ?

#1: MH = Mobile Home ??    You mention trailer so it must be Mobile Home NOT  Manufactured Home ?? 

If it's Mobile you do know that legally,  IF you'll be getting a inspection , you can NOT attach any part of the addition to the MH right?

#2:  You should sheath the wall  down on the deck ,then tip-up the sheathed wall.

#3: You'll want the shear strenght and the bug and critter proofing the OSB or CDX will provide.

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

LSUrulzzz

1. Yes, Peg ...MH =......this IS a Manufactured/Mobile Home ... Notttt a MODULAR Home
Legally, I DO have a permit ... And LEGALLY here in South La. you ARE ALLOWED to attach the addition to the existing MH   
2. Thanks for the advice on building wall on floor and standing it up ... Didnt think of doing that
3. Again, thanks for the bug/critter advice

PEG688

Quote from: LSUrulzzz on June 01, 2009, 10:38:26 PM

1. Yes, Peg ...MH =......this IS a Manufactured/Mobile Home ... Notttt a MODULAR Home
Legally, I DO have a permit ... And LEGALLY here in South La. you ARE ALLOWED to attach the addition to the existing MH   

Ah up here mobile homes are inspected by the Dept Of labor and Industries not building Depts. , go figure??

Hey, LSU didn't rule in women's softball this season rofl  The Washington Huskies are in great shape having beat the crap out of the Gator's this evening 8-0. One more win and they take thier first National Championship.

I sort of root for them as the Coach and I share the same last name , and it's a name thats not very common except in La. and the French  sections of  Canada.

Glad I could help!

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

DirtyLittleSecret

Are 2x6's normally set at 24" o/c?  My local dept told be 2x6 at 16" o/c.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

MountainDon

I don't know what the break down would be, but 2x6's are commonly spaced on 16" centers. But they can be spaced at 24" as well. There are advantages to 24"OC; slightly less heat leakage due to fewer studs. There are disadvantages too; some drywall comes out wavy...

Structurally the IRC allows 24"OC with most 2x6 walls. Perhaps politely asking for a clarification from the local building guy would help.   ???

rocking23nf

your talking pennies in the scheme of things, a 2x4 here is 1.40, a 2x6 is 1.80.  sure it costs a few hundred more to frame with 2x6, but the difference of 16inch to 24 inch is very little money wise.