Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12

Started by JavaMan, April 20, 2010, 12:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaMan

Just when I thought I could breathe a sigh of relief ... (at 10:15 this morning):

... I get home from running an errand and find this:

Areas that have been "out" for over 24 hours are flaring up again, and areas to the south that were dying down are now moving north...  >:(

Here's hoping things cool off and some rain moves in this afternoon and evening

OlJarhead

Fire movement seems pretty light today compared to the last few and I think we'll see a trend that way if the weather is as cool as it's supposed to be tonight (possible frost in the mountains).  No rain in the forecast though.

JavaMan

Well, they did move the fire boundary on the fire north of me .... closer to my property!  ... I am hoping it doesn't go much further.

OlJarhead

I drove through much of the 'yellow' section up on the flats and to Conconully today and it was pretty calm except the area south and maybe west of Conconully.  Up on 155 I drove almost to Disautel and it was pretty much over with some smoldering ash and a few very small fires that the fire crews were ignoring.

Still some scary burns going but if we're lucky we may be past the main event now.

JavaMan

Well, here is the latest anyway ... and it's moved closer to my place, once again:

The fire to the south has now moved a bit north.

Good to hear that the majority of it is out, I am hoping, however, that the last bit of fire to the south will be addressed quickly.

OlJarhead

Not much movement lately but your area sure looks sketchy :(  I wonder if they are trying to let it burn out?  One thing I can tell you is that in the burn areas I've been to, with the exception of the Hailey Cr area where the winds drove the fire 60mph, the firefighters have been saving a LOT of structures so there is hope yet bud!

JavaMan

Yeah, there is a cabin/home with a barn about 1/2 mile south of my place that I think they would defend well before my "structure" (if you want to call it that)...

So that is my hope, anyway.  I am happy that so far, at least, it looks like it's tried from the north and now the south, but hasn't got that far.  I'm praying it doesn't go beyond where it is currently

JavaMan

Well, I thought I would check the satellite images before heading to bed and this is what I see from the combined MODIS and HMS Thermal Satellites..:

So I zoomed in to see where the HMS sat puts it at:

This puts it still down slope of the cabin, however... I don't hold much hope at this point, what with the wind and apparently the movement it's had in the last few hours.  If I head up this coming weekend, I pretty much expect to find nothing but a burned shell.   :(  Then again, I am married, so I am probably wrong  ;D

nailit69

Quote from: JavaMan on August 24, 2015, 03:08:15 AM
  If I head up this coming weekend, I pretty much expect to find nothing but a burned shell.   :(  Then again, I am married, so I am probably wrong  ;D

I know this is serious stuff but this cracked me up... let's hope she's right... and you're wrong.  Good luck

JavaMan

Well, I have to try to keep my sense of humor somehow, right?  :)

And this morning it looks even more likely, however, that this is probably the one time I'm right.

I am hoping this is completely out by the weekend so I can get up there as soon as possible and assess the damage (if any)

In reality, I'm actually more concerned about losing the trees on the property than I am the half finished building

Rys

OlJarhead

:( Buzzard lake took a beating and many houses were lost up there.  Very sad!

Your area is looking rough but I will tell you that most of the area is accessible to residents so it's likely you'd get up there if you came out.  If you do let me know as I'll likely be here still.

JavaMan

Yeah, I've been wondering about those folks along the county maintained part of the road up ... how they are doing.  Based on the satellite data and knowing that there is a lot of open, dry grasses heading up that road, I would guess they aren't doing well at all...

If I can I will be out Friday sometime...  That is what I am shooting for anyway

OlJarhead

Some spots up there were untouched, as if the fire just passed them by for no reason...you will be surprised at how it just skirted right around things that make no sense at all.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 24, 2015, 04:50:21 PM
Some spots up there were untouched, as if the fire just passed them by for no reason...you will be surprised at how it just skirted right around things that make no sense at all.

I am hoping this is true in my case, but... from this it looks like it might have hit my shed...

I'm fairly certain I've places the "+" in the correct spot, so I'm hoping that the data layer for the fire outline is off... or that this is where they "declared" the fire perimeter to be, but it really wasn't quite there.

OlJarhead

I'll say a prayer for ya bud!  I've seen lots of structures standing that could easily have been nuked so there is hope yet!

OlJarhead

Is you place off Buzzard?  I'm often about doing damage assesments etc so might be able to swing by if it's reasonably close to where I'm at

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 24, 2015, 06:16:20 PM
Is you place off Buzzard?  I'm often about doing damage assesments etc so might be able to swing by if it's reasonably close to where I'm at

Yes, it is on Buzzard Lake Road... but a few miles north of the lake itself...

I'll send you coords you can plug into google maps to get it precisely.

What I wouldn't give to have a friend with realtime satellite access ...  :o

OlJarhead

Looks closer to Salmon Crk than HWY 20...is that right?

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 24, 2015, 07:39:43 PM
Looks closer to Salmon Crk than HWY 20...is that right?

Yes, as the crow flies.  However, the easiest way to it is from Hwy 20 up Buzzard Lake past the lake.  I don't know of a road back in there from Salmon Creek Road

OlJarhead

I made a run up almost to Jeff's place (maybe 1/2 mile to 3/4 of a mile from) and it's touch and go!  Sure hope it survives but the entire area has been burned.  HOWEVER, it's not like the hottest burn areas.  This area was hit or miss and still had a lot of greenery that survived so it's possible!!!

Good luck Bud!

JavaMan

Thanks OJH ... However, since then this is the map:

I got nothing to add

JavaMan

Looking at the reports this morning, and the map again, it may not be as bad as it looks... at least I keep telling myself that.

Thanks again OJH for driving up that way.  I hope the place you saw near where you turned around made it through that last flare up...

OlJarhead

No problem, only wish I made it all the way.

it's been challenging for sure and the fire does not want to give up but we're hearing 70% chance of rain this weekend!

JavaMan

That's great! I am hoping it does rain...

Here's little bit of "fun" I had with it this morning...

http://www.rockofagesranch.org/site/web/photo/images/images/FireMapVideo.flv

I couldn't figure out how to embed it, so I just put a link to it.