Your Feedback Please!

Started by John Raabe, May 05, 2007, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

I have done some formatting to the home page and it now needs a 1024 pixel width screen to read properly.

http://www.countryplans.com/

Let me know if you are using an older monitor with an 800 pixel width screen. You will know this if you have to scroll right and left to see the full width of the page. The wider screen lets me format text better but, if lots of people have to scroll, then that's a pain in the behind and I'll try to crunch it down to a narrower format.

Any other comments or pet peeves concerning that page will be appreciated (or at least that is my initial intent ;))
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

No problem here; we use 1024 width or 1280 width.

My own research at least a year ago now, persuaded me to keep the website  (//www.nmdance.com)  I look after for our local dance club at 800 wide. At the time 40 some odd percent of users still were at 800 wide.

I hadn't looked into this since then and this was a nice reminder. I just had a look at the log stats. They indicate 1024 is the most common width being used today. The percentage of 800 width users has fallen to less than 8%. Less than 800 width has fallen to unmeasurable... I think it's only one person with a 640 wide.   :-?
 It may be time to consider any redesigns for a larger format resolution   :-/

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

1440x900 here so no problem.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

must be a laptop,  17" ?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Yup.  I like it. Lots of real estate. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Any other comments or pet peeves concerning that page will be appreciated (or at least that is my initial intent ;))

I , at one time , had a special thread on interior finish tips ,  on the right hand side with some of Glenn's specials threads  :( But it's gone now  :'( :'( I feel so useless  ;D ;D

And it's hard as heck to find , buried deep in  bowels the general section that I never add to it  :( ::)  

But as far as size , it looks fine on my end  8-)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

John does the front page PEG, but I made your tips sticky so you can find it now.  Top section of general forum. :)

PEG688

Ah stickies , are they sort of new ?? WBF has been using those for about a month, new program / software ?? Or just some thing "just not used much" in the past'???

glenn kangiser

Not new - just not overused because when the page loads you always have to scroll down to see the new stuff, but that is a very good thread so I elevated your status. :)

PEG688

QuoteJohn does the front page PEG, but I made your tips sticky so you can find it now.  Top section of general forum. :)

Humm,  now I'll feel "guilty " if I don't add to it  :'( ::) Ex Catholic,  what can I say "guilt's" all they got , well them and the Jewish folks  ;D What the saying " Guilt, Jew's are born to it , Catholics are taught it!" Some thing like that ;D So I did learn something in catacism  , Of course not how to spell it , catechism that is  ;D

glenn kangiser

You could hang around in Purgatory for a while, but to rid yourself of the guilt, maybe you could update the tips, or as an alternative maybe we can find a place for you to send money --- Could I interest you in a few Indulgences?   :-?

PEG688

They , the catholics just changed some of their teaching on the big  [size=36]P [/size]  about a month ago.

Here's aWBF thread on it , http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=64248

I never thought / considered the threads at the top "Stickies" , on WBF they say they are "stickies" so I never connected C/P's  like the garden T or your Undergnd Bunker T stickies , DUH :-? ::) I'm not to bright eh ;D ;D You don't have to answer that  ::) I all ready know the answer :-[

glenn kangiser

That's interesting -- If they were wrong before will they be sending refunds to all my old relatives who have been paying for others to get out?

I can send my address so they will know where to send the check. ;D

and -- dude-- you are a million times better on the computer now than when you first got here. :)

PEG688

and -- dude-- you are a million times better on the computer now than when you first got here. :)

Thanks  :) Yet I still can't defrag my D drive  >:( >:( :'( It'll bite me on the arse one of these days when the lap top takes a dump :(

John Raabe

I think we are all learning stuff about computers and how to use this forum.

Something I am finally using is the Notification feature to keep track of topics I'm interested in.

This image is a bit small but it says "Notify of Replies" and is at the bottom of every thread.

Confirm you want to be notified by email of new posts.

Open up your personal notification list here in the header and delete topics you no longer want to follow.

This Notification List will not only remind you by email when a posting is made to a thread on your list but this list can be used as a tickler file for the threads you want to remember.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn-k

PEG, I'll have to work with you on that fragging "D" drive one of these days.  Gotta work today but in the meantime we need to find a way for you to move files off of it and onto a storage device or other computer.  We can try it on private message again in a week or two.

Keep in mind that computers are like women.  They only want to hear exactly what they want to hear and exactly in the way they want you to say it.  You must learn the proper way to say it and anything less is unacceptable.

I should be in for it now. :o

glenn-k

I used the notify function a time or two , but instead now I try to quickly review every message posted, in case my Asian buddy wants to come back and post his picture again with my name on it. :o

I know --- everyone is saying -- well you don't need to comment on every posting. :-[

jraabe

Glenn:

Your fun responsive greeting to new members and the followup with others is one of the main reasons this forum is as active as it is.  :)

Daddymem

Looks fine here at 1680x1050 with side tabs in Firefox.

I bookmark posts I want for later reference.

glenn-k

QuoteGlenn:

Your fun responsive greeting to new members and the followup with others is one of the main reasons this forum is as active as it is.  :)

I just hate to see people talking to themselves. I mean-- I do it but that's different.  I give myself some awesome advice.  But --- when I screw up --- I cuss myself out.  I sometimes have to leave the room to get away from me. :'(

I find that many times a remark in another direction gets responses flowing again.

Most important, I think is that we have fun while we learn and solve problems.  

QuoteLooks fine here at 1680x1050 with side tabs in Firefox.

I bookmark posts I want for later reference.

Crimoney, Daddymem, you've got a big one. :o

You're a bit to high tech for me I'm afraid.  Now I guess I gotta check out side tabs - where'd you find them?

MountainDon

Daddymem, did you just make that up about side tabs to drive us nuts?  :o I've been looking in all the wrong places I guess, if they really do exist.  :-/ The only side tabs I can find is if I put the laptop on the coffee table and lay down on the couch, but then I have trouble reading the sideways print.   :-?   using V 2.0.0.3

glenn-k

OK - I found the side tabs - an addon called Vertigo.  I don't know if that is the only one -- only problem is I have to scroll to use it as I usually open at least 31 tabs.  I'm used to horizontal anyway - I'd probably just confuse myself. :-/

MountainDon

Oh..  I'm getting dizzy!  

glenn-k

That's one of the advantages of doing it horizontally, Don -- It doesn't make you dizzy.

Still ------ vertical was worth a try - at least I know I can do it. :)

Daddymem