2 Shipping containers or 16X20 garage

Started by suburbancowboy, August 08, 2014, 12:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

I am looking for feedback on which way to go.  I am split evenly.

My project for next year that I would like to do entails creating some storage space to store my toys up at the cabin.  4 wheelers, side by side, tools etc. I have a piece of land approx. 20 X 30 allocated.  The two choice that I have come up with are as follows.

2 - 20 foot shipping containers.
Pro's
Better fire resistance
Cheaper
Faster
Security
No building permit or extra taxes
Sits on gravel pad

Con's
I think they look trashy.

16X20 Garage 1 1/2 story with bunk house on the second story.
Pro's
I get to build it.
Would look great.
The looks would fit into everything else I have built. (Cabin, first bunk house, solar shed)
Extra space for family to stay

Con's
Cost (10,000 vs 5,000 est.)
County say because of size I need engineered plans ($1000)
Need building permit. (inspection process)
Pay extra in property tax.
Fire danger
Easier to break into.

What you think?

zion-diy

Probably the 2 containers would be my choice. That way, I could always sell them off later. Meanwhile, How about 2 containers side by side with a chalet'  A frame roof over them? Might not look as shabby as plain old containers.
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

Patrick

Shipping containers dont even belong in the same zip code as your beautiful building, Do justice to what you have already created and build the garage.

rick91351

I have seem two side by side containers look not all that bad with a lot of work .....  However as far as security.  If some tweeker wants in.  HAVE torch will travel - want & need meth...... no problem. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

odysseusjg

I looked into shipping containers a bit, here's what I learned- containers are not intended to be long lasting, permanent structures. They mass produce them, send them out into the worldwide stream of container shipping, and expect that in 8 years or so the container will get cut up for scrap. Even if you get one in good shape I doubt you'd get 20 years out of it. Once it's rotted you can't sell it. You could protect it by roofing it over, but the local building dept would want to see engineered calcs, plus, by the time you roofed it over you would be approaching the same cost as a steel building or building yourself. Have you ever been in a container? Pretty dismal without a window.

A twenty by thirty steel building is $5-8000 depending what you get. Plus several thousand for a decent slab footing, and the cost of paying a helper to throw it together. More expensive, but longer lasting and much more usable.

I'd only get a container if I just needed storage and didn't care what it looked like.

Dave Sparks

If you have acreage,  can you place the container where you don't see it?
"we go where the power lines don't"

suburbancowboy

Thanks for the replies.  The spot that I have picked out is about 50 feet from the front of the cabin.  It will definitely be seen.  The comments here starting to sway me to the stick built garage route. Similar to the cabin.  I didn't know that the life span of the shipping container was only 10 years.  And who knows how old they are when you buy them.

Keep the comments coming.

Dave Sparks

The life is probably either design life or expensed life.  After they are full depreciated the tax incentives are gone and the risk of failure increases. Electronics are like this also ;D
"we go where the power lines don't"

rick91351

Quote from: Dave Sparks on August 23, 2014, 07:44:34 PM
The life is probably either design life or expensed life.  After they are full depreciated the tax incentives are gone and the risk of failure increases. Electronics are like this also ;D

Sort of like box cars on the railroad after they are depreciated out, they get pretty short lived.  Just about any thing like a ship will send them off to the breakers....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

zion-diy

Quote from: suburbancowboy on August 18, 2014, 09:40:36 AM
Thanks for the replies.  The spot that I have picked out is about 50 feet from the front of the cabin.  It will definitely be seen.  The comments here starting to sway me to the stick built garage route. Similar to the cabin.  I didn't know that the life span of the shipping container was only 10 years.  And who knows how old they are when you buy them.

Keep the comments coming.

I didn't realize they were only 10 years either. Guess I've got to go tell my bud that our containers are now a good 15 years past their expiration date.   ;)
I suppose as someone said, "have torch will travel" is true, but, wouldn't it also be true that a tweaker could break into a garage ( or your cabin for that matter) just as easily?   ???
I just figured it would be a lot easier to place containers than the hassle, expense, taxes etc of a site built structure.  Out of curiosity, do you stay at this cabin year round, and have you had any break in trouble before?
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

firefox

Just some idle thought I'm throwing out. Seems I remember reading about some
spray on concrete they use for domes. Couldn't the containers be used as a form?
Might have to tac weld some wire mesh on the outside first.
Just an idea, hope it helps.
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

tommytebco

The idea of a freight container rusting into unusable condition is laughable. The obsolescence must be accounting based trickery that our modern society seems to be based on.
Here's a link to one conversion of two containers. There are many found by a simple search "freight container cabin"
http://tinyhousetalk.com/off-grid-self-sustained-shipping-container-cabin/.
I do agree that you might have as much money as a conventional construct by the time it looked pretty.

suburbancowboy

I have seen that cabin before.  I think for that much money I would just build a 20X40 on a slab. 
Security isn't a huge issue for me.  I have found up here that if the bad guys really want to get into your place they will.  I have had one break in the 6 years I have been up here.  Nothing taken, just busted up doors.  I am up at the cabin every other weekend.  Neighbors keep an eye out for each others places.

On a side note.  At one time I looked into building an underground house with storage containers.  I thought dig a hole, put a container in it and cover with dirt. Simple right?  Not!  To many moister issues.  Let alone all the extra engineering that you have to do.  Somebody should build a box that you can do this with.  For 10K I would buy one.