1x12 T&G pine on walls

Started by ellbaker, July 17, 2011, 10:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellbaker

Anyone use 1x12 T&G pine on their walls?  I mostly see 1x8 or 1x6 but thought the 1x12 would look good. There is a v groove on one side but I would rather use the clear side. I suppose the downside is a higher likelihood of cupping.

suburbancowboy

I think that you would end up with major cupping, cracking and twisting issues.  I have never seen such wide boards used on the walls.  I have seen it on floors though.

rick91351

Pricing to me would not be worth it.  A quick check show T&G #2 and better 44 cents per lineal foot for 6 inch.  $1.18 for 12 inch.  That is unless you have a 'buy'.

I have a bunch of rough 1X12 that are stickered, that are now showing on the moisture meter ready to work.   I am wondering about using for wainscot on a house project.  But the more I think about it, the more I am thinking it is going to get ripped in to 1X6s, then planed and patterned into ship-lap.  Because both control issues and looks.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Squirl

The larger the board the more it will shrink/swell during dry/humid weather.  I will be using larger 1x10s for board and batten with a 1x3 batten to cover the shrink/swell.  There was a long thread on here a little while ago on why they use smaller boards for flooring.  It seems like it would be the same concept. Say if a 1x6 will swell/shrink 1/8 of an inch, you would not notice it because the gap would be covered by the tongue and groove, but if a 1x12 shrinks 1/4 inch, you might see a gap.