Rough 14x24 Cabin Cost?

Started by DirtyLittleSecret, October 09, 2007, 12:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyLittleSecret

Got my planning department papers in today, and was told that it shouldnt be an issue since its "grandfather claused".

Now the Mrs asks the question..."What is it going to cost to build the actual cabin?"  Good question!
I've already got a good well, and all the needed tools as well as about 7 buddies (1 an electrician, and another a pipefitter).

So, negating labour costs what would one expect to "rough in" (or build the frame, siding, roofing, insulate, drywall...weatherized) the CountryPlans 14x24 Enchilada Cabin?  Just looking for a rough idea for the boss!

glenn-k

That's kind of a hard one - so many variables.

Here a completed house is running from 85 to 105 per square foot depending on many things.

Smaller square footage would tend to be more.  Maybe labor would be around 1/2 depending on how well you buy.  Just a wild guess there.

I have seen dry-in materials for the 20x30 go as cheap as 10 to 12 thousand but that was only for dry-in - no sheetrock etc.  Hopefully others will have better info.

desdawg

I think you have it pegged pretty close to costs here too Glenn. But there are so many variables. And where does the shell stop? Is it wired and insulated? What kind of siding? Transportation costs to a remote site? Built on a slab or a subfloor? And the list goes on.  

raybob

Why not trot down to Lowe's, Home Despot, or 84 Lumber and have them price it for you?  Or all three to get competitive prices?

Bob

Homegrown_Tomatoes

Well, I wouldn't depend on just the big lumber companies... my uncle designed and built his own place in SE OK, but after pricing several places in both OK and AR, he ended up driving to Chandler, OK to buy lumber because the little mom and pop lumber yard there gave him a price good enough to justify driving up with a flatbed trailer multiple times to pick up, even when you include the gas cost.  (It was a 4-5 hour drive each direction for him.)  Also, would depend on if you use all new materials or if you recycle or scavenge for some... Habitat Restore is a great place to start, or you can ask for things such as unused windows, sheetrock, roofing materials, etc., on Freecycle.  I once got a huge 5 by 5 double-pane window (never used!) for ten bucks because the person who custom ordered it never showed up to get it.  I guess in part I'm environmentally conscious because I just hate to see useable things go to waste, but at the same time, I'm mostly just a tightwad! :D

DirtyLittleSecret

That's what I was thinking...indeterminable! ;D
I was figuring around 15k being frugal, but sometimes frugal isnt good enough.

glenn-k

That pretty well agrees with what I was figuring depending on whatever -- think I came out about 14800 if I put numbers to my guesses.