Packrats

Started by desdawg, July 05, 2008, 08:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desdawg

I got my Bobcat off the mountain yesterday. Over the winter the packrats had started building a nest inside the engine comapartment and in the process had chewed my rubber diesel fuel line into two parts. I was able to get the machine started by running a fuel line into a can of diesel. Thge I mounted a one gallon can to the back of the tractor and was able to drive it out using that. The design of the Bobcat is poor. The fuel tank and fuel line are under the motor and you have to nearly remove the motor to access them. There is a large heavy skid plate on the bottom of the machine that would have to be removed to access it from that side. Fortunately the pack rats hadn't damaged any wiring and I was able to get the machine out of there. When I parked it there non of this had even occured to me. Now when I want to use it I will have to transport it in and out each time or risk this happening again. If I ever replae the Bobcat I will get a machine that doesn't have this flawed design. I looked at a Cat skidsteer a while back and there is plenty of room around the engine for maintenance. I think that is where I would look next.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

peternap

We don't have pack rats Des, but we have field mice. They also chew and worse, build nests in everything they can get into...including carbs.

I came up with a solution. For the things that can go into the storage shed, I just run the engine for 20 minutes or so with the doors closed. I then hold my breath and run in, turn it off and run out. It kills everything inside and they don't seem to come in after.

For the tractor, I do the same thing with a tarp over it.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

desdawg I am like Peter in that field mice are a great menice in this area.  Same type of problems but usually in the fall when the temp's drop.  They steal dog food and store it in the air cleaners of anything they can get access into.  I started using the small bait pellets to counteract them but discovered they were not actually eating them and just stored them in the vehicle cavatities.  I then went to the larger bait blocks that could be nailed down but after awhile they wised up and curved their diet.  So I changed tatics and got a couple of outside house cats which have helped.  They don't get them all but put a great dent in them.

In an effort to keep them out of the cattle & hog feed I ran across a "rat cage" which is a 4'D X 7'H X 8'L made of rabbit wire and 2X4's.  They use them in the mines to store things they don't want the rodents to get.  Has worked pretty well but they still get to the tractors and vehicles and chew wires. 

When I first saw your title of the tread I thought you were going to discuss "Hording" which could probably go on indefitely.

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on July 05, 2008, 09:02:39 AM

When I first saw your title of the tread I thought you were going to discuss "Hording" which could probably go on indefitely.

Me Too! :)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

We have woodrats which build nests of sticks up to 2 or 3 feet tall in the brush, but they are not above moving into a wall cavity or equipment if they get a chance.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

Your woodrats sound similar to what I am calling packrats Glenn. When I lifted the cab of the Bobcat it had twigs, rocks and prickly pear cactus pads inside. The problem up there is I don't get to that location often enough these days. That machine had been parked since last fall. I tried to start it earlier this year and couldn't. I suspect if it had sat there much longer the wiring would have been destroyed and I would have plaid he!! getting it out of there. I have killed a couple of these critters and they are pretty plump critters and pretty lathargic. They don't move real fast. Last fall I saw real Bobcat sign (tracks and scat) around the tractor and I guess I should have known there was a meal within but it didn't occur to me at that time.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Ours have a long tail they thump or rattle on the wall etc when disturbed.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

apaknad

try mothballs in a spawn bag type set up that can be fastenecd to something so the rats/mice/critters can't drag it away. worked with my motorcycle(plus you can put your expensive sweaters in there to keep the moths away). :)
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Recommended in electric boxes too for my new solar stuff.

desdawg

What is a spawn bag type of setup? I am not familiar with that term.

Redoverfarm

Not real sure by it sounds to be something like and onion sack but with smaller holes.  I think they are used for frog or shellfish eggs.  Maybe apaknad will ping back in and let us know for sure.

Redoverfarm

Glenn sounds like something fun to ping around with the .22 at.  Of course out of the house.

glenn kangiser

They could be -- seems the exciting thing to do would be to walk around kicking the piles over if you can get at them --- usually built inside a big pile of buck brush or other tough bush - Manzanita - Chemise - etc.  then you may get a shot at them - otherwise they hide pretty good.  The Bobcat with tracks does a number on them on up to 40% slopes or so -- brush and all.

desdawg

I have had a lot of cat sign at my place over the last year or so. If you live in Javelina country their scat and the cat scat are very similar in appearance. Until you break it open. Cat scat is full of hair.

apaknad

ya know, it's about time that some of you don't know something. i can't tell you how many times i have been reading the blogs and did not know what the h-ll you were talking about ??? all kidding aside though, a spawn sack is used in fishing for salmon species in rivers(i live in MI.) you put salmon eggs in a little mesh bag and drift it down the river on the bottom and the fish will hopefully take the bait. my point was to use a small(about 2") mesh bag so you could tie it down and put it in various places to try and keep critters out. the mesh makes it easier to tie down because said critters will move it out of the area if you don't.

Redoverfarm

apaknad I was in the ball park though.   ;D

apaknad

yea red, pretty good guess for a mountain guy. BTW, any good deals on land out your way? i am still looking

peternap

Quote from: apaknad on July 07, 2008, 03:59:38 PM
yea red, pretty good guess for a mountain guy. BTW, any good deals on land out your way? i am still looking

If your not too concerned about being close to anything, look ar Russell County Va. People are getting desperate there.

Redoverfarm

apaknad here are a few local companies if you want to take a look.  But it is high here as well.

www.property4u.com
www.rosemaryhofer.com
www.littlemountainretreat.com
www.sprucerealty.com
www.FirstTracts.com
www.Pocahontaswvrealty.com

The first one has the two lots near my cabin.  Was the same original track that I bought at Auction.  The listing is # 3486 (209 acs) & 3490(84 acs).  After looking at the resale I am glad I bought mine at the get go.

John