You have to wonder.....

Started by desdawg, May 13, 2008, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

i cannot believe it is cheaper to eat in a restaurant than to cook at home...There are all kinds of meals that are cheap and use little to no electricity to prepare

benevolance

Glenn

Yeah you have your head in the sand if you think that only one or two of the auto makers are using less expensive parts in their transmissions nowadays

It would not be so bad if a rebuild meant it would be fixed with better parts and that it would last forever...But the rebuilt transmissions contain used parts and what they replace they use parts that are absolute junk so the rebuilt trans is junkier than the new trans..

There are still a few good trans guys out there that will take the time to install better parts... But man there are not many left...and they are so expensive... even the guys that put used parts back in charge a fortune to rebuild a transmission

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

we should almost start a transmission rebuild directory state by state to list who are the scam artists and who are the professionals that will take the time to install new parts and upgrade faulty factory defective parts...

desdawg

Don't you hate it when a guy starts a thread about fuel prices and then leaves for a couple days. When he returns it has turned into a transmission clinic!  ???  d*  ;D
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

I thought that was normal for here. -- Somehow I have a hard time holding a topic.  Anybody got any ritalin. hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Desdawg

Most of the worlds problems can be solved through inner transmission peace...

desdawg

Okey dokey. The world would be a simpler place if I were more myopic. I have seen thread drift before, even started some myself but this is like a tsunami drift. I got real busy there for a couple of days and didn't make it back to follow up, then whew, there we were tearing down the tranny to improve the gas mileage.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

...I'm sorry, you've lost me,,,what was the topic? hmm

NM_Shooter

I had bad luck with two trannies in a 1/2T suburban.  Replaced two under warranty in less than 3 years.  I have a 2002 F250 diesel, and installed gauges to watch boost pressure, tranny temp, and turbo exhaust temp.  I wish I could install a tranny cooler, but I just put a front hitch on and i am running out of space.  I watch my tranny temp when towing.  It once hit 230deg as I was towing up over Wolf Creek pass and i pulled over to let it cool down. 

I use Rotella T oil, and it has served pretty well.  If I keep my foot out of it, I get amazing mileage.  My last tank full to full measured at 20.3mpg.  I don't drive like a grandma, but i am trying to do my best...folks at stop lights routinely get annoyed with my coasting to a stop and slow accelerations. 

I like to keep the boost under 5psi and rev's under 2000.  As soon as I can get into overdrive and stay below 2000 is a sweet spot for my powerstroke.  Currently at 130k miles.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

That's cool, NM.  I am running around 27 PSI boost much of the time on the hills and probably average 10 to 15.  My truck weighs near 12000 with welder - tools - equipment etc.

glenn kangiser

desdawg, I was thinking about the fossil fuel problem the other day.

I was thinking how the oil companies have Carte Blanche to write their own prices because they are running our government.  Bush will just get that stupid look on his face and say he is going to investigate the oil companies for gouging.  He will then say he (or his committee) was unable to find any evidence of wrongdoing (while they continue to stuff the cash in their back pockets).

It is true , that the A/C uses fuel, but around here I find that I end up too tired to work if I turn it off and sweat it out.  I just add fuel into the cost of labor and make the consumer pay for my A/C. d*

I haven't figured out what will happen when they can no longer pay. hmm

benevolance

Shooter

The ford diesel (international) are great...With a chip and some exhaust improvements you can really open that turkey up and get amazing mileage

We installed a chip on a friend's 2000 ford 1 ton car hauler... truck and trailer that pulls three....He goes to Atlanta and back mostly which is almost three hours each way to an auto auction every week...Anywho his mileage loaded is 12!....that is freaking incredible if you ask me...The truck is loaded like a bugger hauling three cars...I was impressed anyways

NM_Shooter

Well, I forgot to mention that I have a 4" exhaust from the turbo back. 

I do have a superchips tuner, but unless I am towing I leave it untuned.  I find that even the first level up from stock was causing my mileage to deteriorate.  I do like the firmer shifts that the tuner gives you though.

Is there a company that makes a mpg specific chip?  I'd even be happy with stock fuel algorithms and just firms up the shift points.

Would be nice to have something that I could force the tranny to upshift.  I should have bought a standard.  I thought that I needed an auto since my wife was going to be driving it on occaision. 

She has driven it about 10 miles total since I have owned this truck. d*
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

I only know about Dodge specifically but a Suncoast or other aftermarket valve body will firm up the shifts and a good aftermarket torque converter will make it like a different truck.  I used DTT from Farmboys Diesel.  Gus gives lots of free information if you ask.  Just talk to him about the problems -- he does Dodge - I don't know about Ford but he could probably refer you to someone good if not.  He's in NC I think.

http://www.farmboysdiesel.com/index.htm

peternap

I must live right. My Chevy 2500 with the 6.5 L stock engine gets around 20mpg with tools on.
I do drive like an old lady though. That shotgun in the window keeps people civil I think. :)

Talking about prices NOT sinking in yet, I was in Chesterfield Wednesday going home. It's one of those counties with a light every hundred yards and they aren't sinked.

Truck drivers used to be the most savvy (and polite) drivers on the road. I guess all the independents are gone because they sure don't care about their mileage now. Must not be paying for their own fuel.

I'd feather foot it away from a light and two or so trucks would pass me just giving it hell. I'd have to stop at the same light as they did but I didn't have to sit as long or use as much fuel.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Well Peter you had better go easy on the deisel as it is $4.60 locally and at White Sulphur it is $4.50.  I am about due to fill up.  Probably look like the Clamets when I load up my fuel cans and head for Virginia across the line to get stocked up, Off road, on road and gasoline.  A good 20-25 cents cheaper on the gallon than here.   It is only 18 miles and it would pay for trip. The wife just came in and said that the real local went up to $4.79 today.  I can't compihend that a $2 a barrel increase would drive upo the price by 19 cents. In fact it makes no sense and IMO it is BS that the public will not fight back in some fashion. 

I like the idea to selectively boycot all but one brand.  When the others see they are not getting the buisness then they will lower and then the first counter lower his until it's knocked down some. The day of $2 a gallon is gone for good but it doesn't have to be as bad as it is.  GREED 

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 16, 2008, 08:41:36 PM
Well Peter you had better go easy on the deisel as it is $4.60 locally and at White Sulphur it is $4.50.  I am about due to fill up.  Probably look like the Clamets when I load up my fuel cans and head for Virginia across the line to get stocked up, Off road, on road and gasoline.  A good 20-25 cents cheaper on the gallon than here.   It is only 18 miles and it would pay for trip. The wife just came in and said that the real local went up to $4.79 today.  I can't compihend that a $2 a barrel increase would drive upo the price by 19 cents. In fact it makes no sense and IMO it is BS that the public will not fight back in some fashion. 

I like the idea to selectively boycot all but one brand.  When the others see they are not getting the buisness then they will lower and then the first counter lower his until it's knocked down some. The day of $2 a gallon is gone for good but it doesn't have to be as bad as it is.  GREED 

Amen!!!!

The last I got was a little under 4.00 for off road and I bought a lot. I can't burn that in my truck of course. The real problem I have right now is delivering lumber etc to the farm. I can't do it on the Whizzer (Which officially paid for itself in fuel savings) Tomorrow I have to take an ATV, 2 stock gates and 1000 pounds of lumber there. Soooo, the truck gets another trip. :(
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

You might have mentioned it before but what is the round trip mileage to the farm?  I had to make a trip to Lewisburg which broke my heart. 74 miles to PU mortar, tile and a mantle.  Most of this tank was going on my 4 mile round trip to the cabin and back for the last three weeks.  Still have 1/4 tank but that is going to hurt before long.

sparks

My boat averages about 3mpg.

Crap.

The last long trip we took was about 750 miles.

Burned 250 gallons of fuel @ give or take $2.80 a gallon.

Dollars per mile???     
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

What are you driving, Sparks?  Motor Home?

sparks

No Glenn, a 22 foot Four Winns Santara cuddy hull. Weighs around 3400. 205 HP V6.

By the time we load it with gear and my wife it's heavier.  :)

glenn kangiser

I thought you were speaking figuratively.  That's a lot of miles for a boat trip.

sparks

On the Mississippi, from the Quad Cities to Minneapolis/St. Paul two years ago.  Honeymoon. Great trip. Nine days.   :)    Oh yeah, and back!!    ;D

glenn kangiser

That must have been real interesting.