I figured it out...Pics of my new house!

Started by benevolance, November 22, 2006, 10:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

Desdawg,

You need to start tipping yer hat to Glenn...And a few others here... I picked his brain a lot about property and making a move to build/buy...He and others shared their stories with me and it helped me a lot make the decision with my wife as to what might work for us.

In no way am I in any way responsible for any kind of great idea...I am an imposter of sorts...I borrow everyone's ideas sift through them find what I can make work for me and try to avoid the mistakes everyone else has made.

And I am still convinced that I am doing this backwards....Not smart enough to get this working for me...Instead of me working for it... I would like to be able to have a couple people working for me renovating houses as I have had people work for me in the past working on Cars...

But I am not experienced enough in the time required to do jobs and their costs...So I feel like I would be throwing money away due to risk...Maybe in a few years???

For me the best advice I got was directly from Glenn when he told me about buying the underground headquarters.... It was like bells were going off in my head...It all just made sense?

Guys like Peg who have a liftime of experience building.. or John who created this site... They are the ones we all need to be appreciative of... I am a hack in many ways stumbling along until I get what I need to do something else.

I look at the awesome pictures of people building their log cabins from Scratch and it gives me goosebumps...Or Jimmy's progression as he learned how to build a house..I am just a product of the example of others

I was reading the off topics the other day and this is as good a place to talk about it as any....The traffic and members to this site are way up...

Well considering what someone could learn to change their lives here it is no wonder that people come back once they find this place.

Finance, housing, food, medicine (politics)....There is a plethora of info here that will change someone's life for the better.

If you cannot learn a years worth of info in a couple hours on this site you are not paying attention.

glenn-k

Thanks, Peter, but I too share what little I know as I borrow it from others. :)

peg_688

QuoteThanks, Peter, but I too share what little I know as I borrow it from others. :)

Dido here as well , very little of what I do ,was figgered out by me . I might have refined it some , but total invention / ideas , nah just tweaked old ideas , systems , refinements , rehashed re formated .

benevolance

I dunno guys...This site was a pretty amazing place long before I found it...You guys did a great job of making it a valueable resource.

The point about increased membership and traffic are valid...I guess the type of people that gravitate to this place are all renessaince men(and women) we make our own trail and we are hands on....

The applications that this type of thought and information sharing are endless... Even if I was never going to build or renovate another dwelling ever again I would still come here for information about finances, government, quality of life etc...

Maybe we should hire on one of those web based promoters that will enter thesite into yahoo and google and John can start charging new members a fee to belong...And all of his hard work will finally get him rich?

glenn-k

John said he preferred keeping the site free and living in ashes and sackcloth. :-/

One of the things I like to is to keep things moving here.  If there is nothing new of interest, people will stop looking and our members will have a much harder time finding support.

Progress on projects - how to's etc. keep 'em coming back for more.

jraabe

Interesting thread and interesting house Benevolance!

Our power has been out and we are snowed in.

You have a handsome house there and a place that would command perhaps a $700 to $800k price tag if it were on Whidbey Island, WA. At least ten times what you have paid.

With the prices of almost everything else being somewhat equalized between areas of the U.S. (with a maximum of perhaps 30% - 50% differences on the costs of food, fuel, consumer goods, etc.) how can house prices vary as much as 1000% between locations? I truly don't understand why the law of supply and demand doesn't equalize housing and land prices more than it does. Yet, these BIG differences stay in place for decades and longer. West coast land is expensive - everywhere - CA, OR, WA. Land in the South, especially inland from the coastal areas, is so much more reasonable. You would think water would flow downhill from the west coast to the SE until the prices where more in balance. That doesn't happen.

If I could stand the humidity I would probably be smart to head towards the SE. That said, too many days like today could make an air conditioner look like something I might be able to live with.

peg_688

Yes snow but we got power , you sure you payed last months bill John ;D

Lil blue sky in the next one  ;)

And Glenn is good at keepin the ball moving , sometimes I just don't know what to say , and sometimes think folks get sick of me yackin at um all the time . '

Keep it free John , the site , it's mo betta that way ;)

Ya see it  [highlight]doesn't[/highlight] always gotta be a about $$$$

;) :)

Edited to add the doesn't ,  see thats how I get in trouble one lil word left out and a whole new meaning  ::) Stinkin nitwit, me that is , not you Peter ;D Well.....  ops .. betta shut up  :o ;) ;D

glenn-k

Please keep your snow north of my place.  

If you made your own electricity, John, you wouldn't be out right now-- or you would at least be able to figure out why - then you'd have to fix it.

I haven't done as well at keeping things moving lately, as HP gave my computer a lobotomy when the 4 month old hard drive failed.  Just getting stuff re-loaded - unrecoverable stuff off the second drive- had to clean it up with a special program then re-format- don't know why the second drive was affected.  Lost some of the last few months pictures too.  That's computers for ya.

I think house pricing in the West is high because you can't go farther West.  All you can do is run up and down the shore of the ocean like a bunch of ants at the edge of a puddle of syrup.  

benevolance

Well ten years ago land in the south east was much cheaper...It has exploded of late...

Seriously...Ten years ago $30,000 would buy you a nice home on ten acres in South Carolina if you stayed out of the Beach communities and the larger cities...

It was the same way in Eastern Tennessee as well....Now mountain homes are retarded in Price... land is something crazy like 20-30k per acre :o

It is getting hard to get a deal...Stuff like Ebay the internet in General and the baby boomers all leaving Michigan and New York for the the South eastern Climate have allowed land values here to sky rocket

peg_688

Hey Glenn John must be where there is elec. or he's set up for total wireless operation with his cell phone , or he's out at a spot with wireless and power.  I guess there's lots of options , maybe a generator?

So thats why you been slackin lately , puter issues  :oGotta hate that . Our Dell got power spiked in our last power outage last week , wind storm ! Dell took care of it a a couple of days not bad as we are way out at the end of that no where  puddle . Well almost ;) the end of the lump ;D

Life in the PNW , tune into Monday night football they should have some good snow shots , IF they sent a camera crew out today , out of the metro area , Seattle vs. Greenbay , should be nice and cold just like GB likes it , the new expense field is a open one . Might even see a snow flake or two durning the game. I know you don't like football but others here might, sometimes they show a ferry shot of Whidbey , John could wave , I'm father north  than he is  ;)    

peg_688

QuoteJ

One of the things I like to is to keep things moving here. [highlight] If there is nothing new of interest, people will stop looking [/highlight]and our members will have a much harder time finding support.

[highlight]Progress on projects - how to's etc. keep 'em coming back for more[/highlight].

The rest of you lerkers take note , Glenn and I and a few other Amanda , Peter , Sassy , can't carry all the water  ;D  

How about a lil interaction ,  :o Post early post often , it's really ok in this formate  ;)

desdawg

I grew up in the snow country of northern Montana, Havre to be exact. It was the coldest spot in the nation many times. I don't miss it or the snow. I be an Arizona boy now. Then there is July.................LOL.
Peter I am alway happy to see people who don't fall into the herd mentality. You think outside of the box and you will be successful because of it. You have the initiative to come here and gather information. You had the initiative to jump in and make something happen. You are not sitting on the couch like 95% of the people in the world, you are doing something. So take a little credit, huh?
My hat is off to you. Keep up the good work.

jraabe

Hey, I got the generator hooked up and running.  8-) Had to get a 12v battery out of the truck - The Gen has an electric key start and a pull rope but there was no spark without the battery in the loop. Once connected it started up with a twist of the key!  :o

The power is clean enough to run the computer and monitor... no PEG - nothing tricky like cell powered wireless out here. No cell service at all out here in rural Langley. I only take my cell phone when going off island.

The power was going on and off all day today - usually it would go off while I was composing a message for this forum.  :-/  (all that brilliance gone forever!) The snow is now about 12 to 18" deep with lots of trees down along the road and driveway. The forecast is for 1-4" more tonight and subfreezing temps for at least a day or two yet. It has been more than a decade since we've had a storm like this out here.

I think I better post this and then edit again to add more. If the power goes out then at least the rough post will be on-line.

[highlight]About this forum...[/highlight]

Nobody need worry about this forum going paid membership. This will always be free and will also be open to all types of building projects. For most people a stud framed house will be the most practical way to build and some of those folks will learn how to build by using my plans. That pays the freight on the site rental and forum costs. I like it when folks mention a link to one of the plans (as Glenn often does) but this forum doesn't need to be limited to that. Yeah, like I could do that even if I wanted!  :-?

For those who want more personal support, I also have the Planhelp site where lots of design and planning tools can be downloaded. That is a subscription site... ($9.95/mo) But, it will not be replacing this free site. It is an adjunct site to support folks revising plans or designing for themselves.

This forum will be free and open to discussions of all types of buildings as long as people like those PEG mentioned are willing to help others with ideas, opinions and suggestions. When and if that stops, the forum will die a natural death and we will all have to go back to our normal lives.

Until that time this forum is a [highlight]living organism [/highlight] reaching out to fill the heads of unsuspecting victims with ideas of buildings they may someday be compelled to actually build.  ;) :-/

glenn-k

Good explanation of how people get sucked in to building their own home from this forum, John -- and outstanding mechanical abilities too.

How about adding a UPS (un-interruptible power supply) for your computer so we don't miss out on any of that wealth of knowledge?  It would give you time to get your post finished and maybe enough to crank up the generator. :)

jraabe

Good suggestion. I have one now with a dead battery. I guess that makes it a very interruptible UPS.  ;)

Time to upgrade that and also get some good heavy extension cords. This generator is NOISY!! I'm going to remodel the old dog house and turn it into a foam board lined generator shed.

Sassy

NW Washington is very beautiful - but I don't think I'd like to go back there to live...  :-/  But sure am glad John & PEG are up there!  Beautiful picture of your home, John.   Couldn't see much of your place, PEG.  

Those pictures remind me of the 12 years I lived near Bellingham, WA... I liked the snow - in fact, I lived on a little road near a lake & woods - the 1st part of the road was very steep - when it snowed or we had an ice-storm, everyone was parked down at the bottom of the road - I had my little VW Bug with studded tires - I could go right up that hill without any problem!   :)  Peter - you are right about the VW - back then it got great mileage compared to other cars & because the engine was in the back, I could climb those hills when no one else could unless they had 4WD.  

I never liked the ice storms & the driving wind - I don't think my house was insulated very good & all the houses seemed to have base board heating - never understood that... the heat would go under the drapes & curtains & not into the rooms.  The only thing I liked about them was that I could regulate each room separately.  The power went out on a regular basis - had a fireplace but it seemed to draw all the warmth out of the room.   The "silver thaws" always made the trees especially pretty but treacherous to drive in.  I've lived in other states with snow (Massachusetts & Ohio) but that was long ago...  Think I'll just stay where I'm at & visit those places  :) - we get our little bit of snow - as long as I don't have to go anywhere (like hurry to work) I love it.  

Thanks again, John, for the forum - it's the 1st thing I look at when I get on the internet besides my email.  Have to see what the "family" is up to - look at their progress... it's quite entertaining!  

jraabe

Thanks Kathy:

This place wouldn't be the same without our Sassy Momma! :D

Didn't know you were up in the Bellingham area at one time. The pictures of that area during this storm look like something out the Fargo (North Dakota) movie. Blowing and drifting snow - wind at 35 mph and the wind chill down to -15º!

Your move there to the sunny CA area was not a bad one!

peg_688

QuoteGood suggestion. I have one now with a dead battery. I guess that makes it a very interruptible UPS.  ;)

Time to upgrade that and also get some good heavy extension cords. This generator is NOISY!! [highlight]I'm going to remodel the old dog house and turn it into a foam board lined generator shed.[/highlight]

Ah a remodeler dream  :)! Or  Recyling /unlimited use of materials , good stewart ship!  :) Or Etc etc .....  :-?

Or  Don't burn the house down by screwin the pooch with the exhaust :o ;D

glenn-k

QuoteGood suggestion. I have one now with a dead battery. I guess that makes it a very interruptible UPS.  ;)

Time to upgrade that and also get some good heavy extension cords. This generator is NOISY!! I'm going to remodel the old dog house and turn it into a foam board lined generator shed.

Be sure to allow plenty of air circulation - or outside air for the engine - they choke on exhaust and need air to cool.  Ask me how I know.   A lot of the noise may be the muffler - you may be able to add a bigger or different muffler.  Piping the exhaust out via a flex pipe may help too.

Be sure to always observe all pertinent codes and be sure to pull permits before beginning construction.   --- Just Kidding John --- you know me. :-/

peg_688

QuoteAsk me how I know.  .[/highlight]

OK , how do you know ?  ;D

glenn-k

Note that I amended my above post while you were posting, PEG.

Couldn't stand the suspense, huh, PEG.  OK -- here's how.

I had a loud generator when I first stayed in the motor home during the first phase of construction of the underground complex.

I though it would be a good idea to dig a hole for it and set it down in the hole to quiet it down.  About a 3' x 4' x 2 1/2 foot deep hole.  It ran a few minutes until it started choking up as it became surrounded by it's own exhaust.  

We have also had problems with welders overheating under camper shells in pickups and work truck boxes that didn't have enough circulation.

peg_688

QuoteThose pictures remind me of the 12 years I lived near Bellingham, WA... I liked the snow - in fact, I lived on a little road near a lake & woods -

By Lk Padden ?  

Like John said ,   B-ham , San Juans , Whatcom county are all getting hammered , called my USN buddy Mike this AM , 17" of snow , drifts due to winds out of the Frazier River in BC , 17 deg. at 9 AM. Power in and out due to limbs / wind / snow load etc . They get real winter up that way. We just dapple in winter every few / 5 or 6 / 10 years or so. 1990 /91 was a dusey  ::) Floods , on the mainland , 90 MPH winds after the rain / flooding , along with a two week deep freeze , a real one sub freezing weather / ponds frozen , that wind blew over old growth Fir trees up rooting the fozen root balls .  Power was out in my town for 4 or 5 days , some places where out for 3 weeks  :o  

So anyone thinkin this is pradise lost / found better think twice  :o  High tax's , /property values just jumped this year another 50 % for some 100% .   Come to think of it why I'm I here :o ;D  

benevolance

One way to really quiet down the exhaust of a generator is to put a resonator on the exhaust then pipe it to the muffler...It makes a tremendous difference.

And if you want to box in the generator just pipe in an air duct for the engine so that it has a fresh uninterrupted flow of air.

If the resonator/muffler combo does not satisfy you...You can follow the rules for automotive exhaust noise reduction...Bends in pipe reduce noise coming out of the pipe...And the more tailpipe you have after the muffler the quieter the exhaust....So you could pipe a few feet of pipe onto the back of the muffler and turn it down away from the house to throw the noise away from where you might hear it.

Have no fears about now allowing enough air into the engine through the box...The engine will act like a vaccum or a wind tunnel and dryer flexible steel looking duct work will allow plenty of air for the engine to run on....It will draw plenty of air into the doghouse....

Sassy

I lived close to Wiser Lake - in between Bellingham & Lynden, off the Guide Meridian.   It was a great place for my boys - we had the lake at one end of the road, woods at the other & big meadows behind the houses - so I could take them for walks & explore the area... I even water skied on the little lake a few times in the spring & out in the bay by Blaine & that was in February!!!  I must have been crazy  :o - but having grown up around lakes & a pool, I was desperate to ski & a friend had a boat, so of course I wasn't going to miss out on that!  No wetsuit, just my top & jeans!  It took me hours to warm up again...  :-/

I also lived on H St Road - between Blaine & the Guide - about 6 miles north of Lynden - I could walk across the border into Canada through the woods & meadows & little creek.  Right before I moved from there, the landlords leased the land out behind the house to a gravel & rock company so all you could hear was them digging & the rocks pounding & see a huge crater out back.  I was glad to move (although I'm living in a hole now & there's lots of digging & rocks!  :D )  In fact Glenn moved a bunch of huge boulders the other day to build up my rock wall where I planted some roses last year.  Don't see too many roses, tho, cuz the deer eat the tops off of em...  >:( , oh well...

Anyway, do you know that area, PEG?  Lynden is a nice little town.  A few years ago, Glenn & I flew up there - we flew right over the edge of Mount St Helens into the crater - that was pretty exciting!  

I guess I'm trashing this thread  :-/ - but Peter, you did tell us to keep on posting...  ;)  you'll have to post more pictures to bring this back on topic!

peg_688

Ya I know that area I trimmed out a house on Wiser Lk rd. years ago , while I was on leave in the navy . I took ten days
or so  leave and worked about  8 or 9 , 12 hour days . Made a , seemed like , lot of money , dbl dippin so to speak. You turned left off of the Guide while heading N on the G/M , to get to that place . Right by Lynden , as you know . Ya still can't cut your grass in Lynden on Sunday,  stinkin Dutch maffia I tells ya  ::)

Local weather sez  -7deg. in B-ham with wind chill right now  :o  Hey Peter tell those nobs ta cut off that cold air flow will ya  ;D We'd rather have some #1 old growth Fir from that Frazier river valley :)

Yes we are driftin here eh Peter ;)