Finally pictures of our 20'x34' 2 story

Started by rdzone, May 03, 2006, 11:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Looks good, Chuck.  That house is really tall on the low side, eh?  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rdzone

Yep Glenn,

definately not for those who dislike heights, which includes most of my friends.   ;D
Chuck

glenn kangiser

I'm not afraid of heights and find that falling off a roof doesn't hurt.  It's that sudden stop at the end of the fall that causes the pain. heh

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rdzone

Glenn I would agree with you.  I have been trying to avoid the sudden stops on this project.  I don't think my wife or daughter would appreciate picking up the mess.   :o
Chuck

glenn kangiser

Likely be paperwork for them to take care of also.  Best not to bother them.  ::)

rdzone

pictures of progress from this weekend.    :)

Chuck

glenn kangiser

Sassy

Lookin good  [cool]  - how many square feet altogether?  Looks pretty big.  Great progress!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rdzone

Sassy,

This is John universal 2 story plan with a full walkout basement.  The structure is 20" x 34" so approximately 2000 square feet if you count all the floors.  I call it a cabin, all my friends call it a house, actually it is bigger than my house.   :)
Chuck

Alasdair

Wow! That's some BIG cabin!
Great job!
I'll be interested to see how you fit the elevator in...
:D

rdzone

I blame my wife for picking the building site.   ;)  I wish I could afford an elevator.   On the bright side I have been getting in shape hauling everything up and down that darn hill. 

I don't know what happened we were only going to build a small place.  Then we ordered...I think 4 different sets of plans from John and this is what we ended up with.  Definately bigger than I expected.  On top of the 3 stories we made the basement taller and the second floor has ten foot ceilings not to mention the third floor has cathedral ceilings (13+ feet).  I don't know what I was thinking or I guess I wasn't thinking, but in the long run it will be worth it. 
Chuck

Steelart

Chuck,
Looking absolutely awesome!!!  I remember when you were first getting the property.  It's come a long way since then.  BTW ... this is your cousin, Dan from Colorado. We've just started building my new shop (34'x40' gambrel post and beam) ... I've been 5 years without a shop and I'm dying to get back to my hobbies. Dad sent the link so I could see what you've been up to, and I'm suitably impressed by what you have all accomplished.

Later,
Dan

rdzone

Hey Dan!

Good to hear from you!  Mom said you were starting a shop.  You need to post some pictures, as you move along.

Denise, Paige and I are trying to get the siding on before the first snow.  It is going to be close a lot of the taller peaks already have termination dust on them.  Building on the weekends with just the family and a friend or two sure has taken longer than expected, but we are getting there.  We went up on Sunday and put in the last door.  [cool]  No more openings to fill.  It was the balcony door for the master bedroom upstairs. 

Hope all is well.
Chuck

rdzone

Well we have been working, but forgetting to take pictures.  here are some updated photos.  I did have some fun 2 weekends ago.  I had left some house wrap intentionally loose so I could shingle in another piece.  When I added the piece weeks later, while smoothing it out and adding staples I felt a bump under my hand, which was warm and started to make noise and move.  I lifted up my hand and I could see something under the wrap moving, but I had stapled  most of the wrap down.  Good thing I am a wildlife biologist and recognized the little brown bat now trapped.  I had to cut an access flap to get him out.  Scared the heck out of my daughter when it finally flew out.   [cool]

Chuck

glenn kangiser

Glad the little bug eater got out OK.

Looks good and tall, Chuck.

MountainDon

Yes, must be a great view from the upper floor windows.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rdzone

Glenn I am glad the bug eater got out too.  I had to explain to my daughter that Bats are a good thing as thy eat lots of bugs.  Now my daughter and I will be building some bat houses over the winter to hopefully keep some around the cabin, sure beats buying one of those Mosquito magnet things.  It is amazing they can make it up here in Alaska.

MountainDon,

The view is great over looking a pond/wetland out front (the reason want to keep the bats around) and out the back where I plan to put an elevated deck there is a good view of a lake. 

Chuck

glenn kangiser

I have to admit I was once scared by a bat too.  Tell her not to feel bad. :(

I was checking out old mines in the coast range -went up hill through the brush,  climbed up a pile of rocks, looked into the mine and a giant bat flew right into my face.  Not the small variety but the big ones with a wingspan of 6 feet...... [scared]

OK -- probably about 20 inches I guess.

I had to see if I was exaggerating - I wasn't.  Up to 22"  d*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_mastiff_bat

rdzone

Well this weekend I had some friends come over to help.  We actually got all the siding done! [cool] Even the gable on the high end.  I am much more comfortable with the scaffolding and actually had no real problem getting the last bit of house wrap and siding up.  We didn't however get the last corner boards on.  It will have to wait until next spring.  As I was putting the last piece of siding on, it started to snow like crazy :(  Things were getting slick so we decided not to push our luck.  By the time we got the scaffolding down there was over an inch of snow on the bottom plank, oh what fun.  I have pictures and will post them as soon as possible.
Chuck

Whitlock

That's one big cabin you got there. Plenty of head room. I like it :)

Are you going to add a porch [cool]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

rdzone

Well as we say everything is bigger in Alaska.  You know if you split Alaska in half - Texas would be the third largest state. 

Yep a small porch on one side, a larger one on the other and a elevated deck out back.  To get the siding on before the snow we just put the ledgers and flashing on as place holders.
Chuck

rdzone

Chuck

rdzone

Well no new pictures.  :(  He have changed gears and are starting to work inside as the temp has been in the single digits.  Our first order of business was to clean things up and organize the inside of the cabin.  We hauled out all of the scraps and had a huge bonfire.  I think we lit it around 10 am and still had embers around 5 pm.  It sure put out the heat and melted the snow for quite a distance.  We also shuffled things (mainly all the insulation still in bundles) around inside so we have access to do the plumbing and electrical. 

This weekend, I also ordered a nice soaker tub for the upstairs bathroom, one of those 6 footers that are 21 inches deep, so you can actually get more than your butt wet.   :)  Scored points with the wife.  [cool]
Chuck

Redoverfarm

rdzone  I also change my jobs depending on the weather.  Last week I had full intentions of getting the plumbing and drywall started.  The the forecast changed for this week so outside I go.  Hopefully the weather will hold off for a couple of more days to finish the stone work I started on Friday.  If not I will go back inside only when I am forced to. ;D

rdzone

Sorry no new pictures.  We have been organizing and gathering supplies. We bought $1600 worth of plumbing supplies and fixtures.  We hauled up a really nice 6'Lx 3'W x 2'D tub to the cabin last weekend (one of my wife's must haves, no jets just a soaker ) and this weekend we hauled in ABS pipe and did a little work.  We started to install some more floor span connectors (Simpson FSC), but it was pretty cold -12 F, so my daughter and I only stayed for 3 hours.  Of course everything was metal including the tools so my fingers just wouldn't stay warm.  My 10 year old is a trooper though she shoveled the deck and was sledding for at least an hour.  Hopefully this weekend I will get some more work done.  I seem to be at a sticking point.  Plumbing and Stairs.  I have never done either and I am a bit reluctant to jump in.  I understand the basics, but for the stairs I have to add winders, because I strayed from John's plans and made the basement 100" tall and the second floor 10' tall.  As far as plumbing goes I know the basic rule that it flows down hill (1/4" per foot), but the venting combined with the drains has me scratching my head.  I will just have to take things slow.
Chuck