Video equipment options on projects

Started by ChugiakTinkerer, April 15, 2019, 12:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChugiakTinkerer

I'm curious what people use to capture themeselves and their projects on video.  Of particular interest is time-delay video of project progress over several days.  Is GoPro the go-to camera, or do folks use other equipment?
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Dave Sparks

"we go where the power lines don't"

Dave Sparks

Mike 870

I use Canon Cameras and also a GoPro.  They both have strengths and weakness.  I like the GoPro Hero 7's image stabilization and compact portability but overall I much prefer the Canons.  The models I have are 77D and 6D Mark II.  Neither canon has 4k and I don't think I need it.

If you just want to shoot a time lapse and don't care about good audio/field of view/depth of field, I'd say get a go pro and be done with it,  if you want to get fancier I'd say get a nice DSLR or mirrorless camera.  Canon and now Sony mirrorless cameras are what most people use these days. 

MountainDon

The Sony's are great. Some nice lenses too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Mike 870

Yea the Sonys seem super nice and I am envious of the low light ability. 

Dave Sparks

The thread I linked had this one. They also have models with cell modem and wifi.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBMD36V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A32C7OYI0BC75H&psc=1

Can you guys comment on above compared to the sony and go pro.

ChugiakTinkerer

Thanks all for the feedback.  I think for my needs a GoPro will suffice, perhaps with an occasional smartphone video.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

MountainDon

I don't know anything about that game camera Dave. The Sony I was referencing are DSLR types with interchangeable lens, mj h like the old 35 mm SLR.

https://www.chasingame.com. used to be a forum all about game cameras. I used it long ago to help select. Looks like it has changed and I have no idea if it can help you.

Rain in the Jemez today. Snow about all gone
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

I think the rain is done here. I bet jemez is beautiful now. How did your friend do with the building inspector?

I know the dslr's I just wanted to put something in here for security aspect and the spycam seems perfect. There must be dozens of models and cheap enough that you could have a back-up.

I know a guy who has a sacrificial game cam and the real one has nailed some thieves.The sacrifice cam probably scares away all but the crack addicts who are too stoned to care. A nice strategy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBMD36V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A32C7OYI0BC75H&psc=1

MountainDon

We are likely pretty much done on Rain till July-Aug. What we got was nice though as we were able to burn up some slash we had tarped and ready to go.

The inspector would not budge on passing no-label panels. Then my friend realized that with no labels he could not legally get the 30% tax credit with no UL label. So he resold the panels at a slight profit and has new panels coming. Plus there might have been a problem with insurance as well.  So it ends well.

I like the looks of that game camera. I'd like to replace one that is about 6-7 years old. Thinking on it.

Dave Sparks

I just did my last burn (I think) yesterday also 8)  This year I went to a forestry presentation on how doomed California is from the feds and state practices. It got me scared again and we got rid of just about everything that could burn to reduce the fuel load, when it does burn again.

For the brush that is coming back, that does not get weed wacked, I tried an Echo line trimmer with a brush blade. In 2 hours I did 4 acres and I was amazed how easy it was. It had the handle bars and really amazed me how effortless it was.

On your friends concern about writing off anything on taxes, even solar, it is not an issue, unless he gets audited ;) Wow he has insurance? I doubt we will after last year out here. Should know in June and after that I will harden the place even more.

Commercial solar writes it "all" off all the time. You should see some of the accounting......

MountainDon

Ponderosa pine, which is our predominate tree, grow like weeds. We have a new crop of short things, 12" tall or so, that are about to be whacked. We have cut more trees than I had ever thought we would when we started out years ago.

They are in a small developed area and there is a county fire station right there.  :) Being in a developed area is also why there are inspectors involved in the whole deal.  :(

Dave Sparks

I had an old friend show me how to use Ponderosa pine cones to start a fire with wet wood. Pretty amazing.
There are so many bark beetle killed ponderosa trees here (22 million in the county) that it is going to take 10 years to get rid of the ones by roads alone.

I think they have stopped dying.  :-\

Hauling oak firewood this morning out of the brush areas onto my trails because I ran over a 43 inch rattlesnake yesterday.

Tis the season I guess. Always something  ! Stay safe!