The small house tsunami gathers momentum

Started by considerations, April 07, 2012, 08:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

hpinson

I like the one-floor designs.  One thing that bugs me about many of the "tiny" house designs is the crammed in loft sleeping area.  As I get older I cringe at nightly trips up and down some steep ladder, to say nothing of trying to change bed linens in such a tiny space.

John Raabe

Most Tiny houses are not for older folks, or families. Even a couple will have to be VERY compatible. As I get older I find I really don't like ANYBODY enough that I want to bump into them every time I turn around. :P 

For a younger single person tiny homes are great - and an inexpensive way to get a place of your own.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Amen to both the above.   :)  Hence a one story, no loft cabin for us, and one that is larger than we started out thinking would work.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Danfish

Our family of four use to spend summers in a small cabin with a loft sleeping area.  Everyone in the family fell down the loft ladder at least once.  After a few years we took to sleeping on the porch and never used the loft.  I can recall how small that cabin got when it rained for a week!

considerations

I lived in a small 5th wheel for a long time.  The ritual of changing the bed linens was something I would never have wanted anyone to witness.  Even in private I dreaded it.