Guest spammers

Started by John Raabe, February 28, 2006, 09:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

We have started to have some abuse of the guest posting privileges. A fellow named Bingo has been adding non-offensive but rambling and topic unrelated posts to forum topic threads.

I have deleted the messages. However - PLEASE STOP such postings!

The complete openness of this forum in that it allows full participation by unregistered guests is very unusual. We would like to keep it that way. Glenn and I do try to police the forum but have had little work up to this point. We would like that to stay the same way too!  ;)

If such spamming continues, we will be forced to not allow guests to post. This would require a member to sign up and provide personal contact information before they will be allowed to post. For any serious visitor, this is not much of a hurdle, I admit. However, we'd like to keep the forum as open and easy to use as possible.

Please help us do this. If you see any offensive or topic unrelated spam, please send an email alert to webmaster@countryplans.com.

Until now we have had 10987 Posts in 1278 Topics to a public forum that has been totally open - amazing compared to the problems most forums experience!!  :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

I've gotten rid of one multiple offender and blocked their IP address.  I will block all forum abusers as I catch them however I am absent once in a while as I continue to sell myself to the highest bidder. :-/

Update --Both spammers were from Malaysia - both are now banned.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

firefox

I am absolutely amazed at the fantastic job you all are doing with this forum.
Thankyou for all the work you are putting into it!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824